What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to new iOS 6.x.x without using DFU?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it really necessary now to upgrade my jailbroken 5.0.1 to the latest (6.1.2 now?) by downloading the .ipsw file to the computer first, then putting the pad into DFU mode? It seems like I read somewhere that upgrading through the normal iTunes restore method would work 99% of the time.

Thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use a regular restore, but there can be problems and more cover-up work needed when using a regular restore and not a DFU. There are a lot of cases where regular restores work just fine. Then you have the selective bunch that gets a brick wall of problems in the end because they didn't spend 20 seconds putting the device into DFU mode :/

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright.... thank you for the response. The next question is, which .ipsw files to select for my devices. I looked the other day and honestly, couldn't determine which ones were right for my devices. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I got the iPhone in about April or May of 2011 and the iPad in July 2011. There is a big list of .ipsw files, but I can't seem to find any info on the Hardware Revision A vs the Non-A. (Then I have to try to locate a file for the iPhone 4). I had to deal with this when I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1, but don't remember now.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your iPad was purchased prior to early/mid-2012, it's the iPad2,1, or the "original" iPad 2. The iPad2,4 (Rev-A) was introduced IIRC March 21st (?). You can also check the model number on the back of your device.

Or you can check your serial. If it starts with DMPH or DMQH, it's the Rev A.

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
willerz2 said:
You can use a regular restore, but there can be problems and more cover-up work needed when using a regular restore and not a DFU. There are a lot of cases where regular restores work just fine. Then you have the selective bunch that gets a brick wall of problems in the end because they didn't spend 20 seconds putting the device into DFU mode :/

Please give some more details on "more cover-up work needed". Thanks.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it really necessary now to upgrade my jailbroken 5.0.1 to the latest (6.1.2 now?) by downloading the .ipsw file to the computer first, then putting the pad into DFU mode? It seems like I read somewhere that upgrading through the normal iTunes restore method would work 99% of the time.

Thanks

What's so hard about just putting it in DFU and clicking restore? Why question it, it works...sorry just a little baffled at this question. To its kinda like if its not broke, why fix it?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please give some more details on "more cover-up work needed". Thanks.

On jailbroken devices, if the proper measures aren't taken when restoring in the "normal" state, you can brick your device or cause your upgrade to be fragmented, meaning you'll have to create a custom IPSW to restore to bypass/fix any issues. Commonly on the iPhone in particular, users commonly brick their baseband because they fail to follow instructions when removing certain tweaks or apps that affect the core files, and those files are not overlooked in a non-DFU state, which can cause errors when unloading the iOS package onto your device.

By spending 20 seconds to put your device into DFU mode, you eliminate software problems from your equation as a jailbroken user. By spending 20 seconds, you can narrow down any problems that your device has at the immediate point of view. By spending 20 seconds, you can restore your device in a matter of minutes, rather than to spam threads on multiple forums requesting/begging for help when you could've avoided the problem from the start by putting your device into DFU mode and restoring.

If you have a 3GS, 4, iPad 1 or iPad 2 at hand that you want to throw away, install Ac1dSiri or any other Siriport properly into a working state, and restore it in the normal state using iTunes. I can guarantee you that you'll have a really expensive yet very light brick in minutes. Even with a DFU restore, if you don't take the proper measures to restore the critical core changes, you'll still end up with more trouble than you'd like and potentially still end up with a bricked device.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts