What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie's Ipad2 upgrade to IOS 8.1.

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...
I'm going to upgrade my Ipad 2 IOS (4.x) into IOS (8.1), but being a newbie in all that I would like to do in the right way, so please be patient in explaining to me the right steps. I have downloaded the right .ipsw file from the official apple links.
1-Is it still signed? or is it only IOS 8.1.1?
2- Do I have to be connected to the internet from the laptop I'm doing the upgrade on?
3- What is DFU mode, and should I be in that mode?
4- Should I restore my ipad to factory settings before doing the upgrade?
5- Can you explain to me in details the exact right steps to do the upgrade the most safe way?

Thank you
Dan

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To start, yes, iOS 8.1 is still being signed by Apple, though we don't know for how long. So, if you're going to go to iOS 8.1, t'were best done quickly. :)

Here's what I recommend:

(1) Download the IPSW file for iOS 8.1 for your particular iPad (model and generation). You can get the IPSW file here: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-for-ipad.24939/

Remember to where you've downloaded the IPSW file as you'll need it later.

And yeah, you'll need to be connected to the Internet and have the most recent version of iTunes.

(Just reread your post and I see you have the IPSW file. I'm not going to retype this, so on to step two). :)

(2) Make a backup of your iPad, then disconnect it from iTunes (but leave it plugged in to your computer)

(3) Once the IPSW file is downloaded, put your iPad into DFU mode. See this thread for what it is and how to do it: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/dfu-mode-for-dummies.27489/

(4) Once the iPad is in DFU mode, reopen iTunes. It should tell you it has detected an iPad in recovery mode. Accept the check

(5) Now iTunes will show you a screen for restoring. Hold the Shift key and then click on the Restore button. A Windows Explorer window will open so you can search for and select the IPSW file you downloaded. Once you find it, click on it and hit the button.

(6) iTunes will do its magic and, when prompted, go ahead and restore with your backup. After some more magic by iTunes, you'll have an iPad running iOS 8.1

Hopefully, that'll get you to where you want to be. Good luck and holler if you've got more questions.

Marilyn

OP
V

Vetalogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much Mickey...
I think it's so helpful and clear. Just one more question. Since I would like to start from clean install, is it ok if I restore my ipad to factory settings before I upload the .ipsw file into ipad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much Mickey...
I think it's so helpful and clear. Just one more question. Since I would like to start from clean install, is it ok if I restore my ipad to factory settings before I upload the .ipsw file into ipad?
Following the instructions in Marilyn's post will give you a clean installation of iOS 8.1, there's no need to restore to factory settings first.

Most reactions