What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade Safari (nitro engine) in iOS 4.2.x?

compiler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my first message in ipadforums, so I apologyze in advance if it's not the right forum to ask this.

I have a jailbreaked ipad 1 (32GB Wifi) with iOS 4.2.1. I'm quite happy with it and I won't update to 4.3.x, but the new Javascript Nitro engine for Safari seems to increase performance by 2x - 3x ... so it's a must have.

Is it possible to update ONLY Safari in a 4.2.1 iOS ipad (install 4.3's safari in 4.2's ipad)?

If it's not possible, then my only hope is wait for a safe 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak, if it is ever released...

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my first message in ipadforums, so I apologyze in advance if it's not the right forum to ask this.

I have a jailbreaked ipad 1 (32GB Wifi) with iOS 4.2.1. I'm quite happy with it and I won't update to 4.3.x, but the new Javascript Nitro engine for Safari seems to increase performance by 2x - 3x ... so it's a must have.

Is it possible to update ONLY Safari in a 4.2.1 iOS ipad (install 4.3's safari in 4.2's ipad)?

If it's not possible, then my only hope is wait for a safe 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak, if it is ever released...

Thanks.

I'm not a jail breaker myself, so I'm sure you'll get far more technically credible answers from others but I'm fairly sure it's not possible simply to update the Safari browser and not the entire iOS, so I think you're going to have to wait for a 4.3.1 jail break.....

It shouldn't be long now - I've seen reports that there are a couple of versions out there in the final stages of debugging.

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

compiler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer :)

I just thought that being the iPAD iOS a "debian based" Linux distribution, it could be possible to "dpkg-repack" Safari and "dpkg -i" it in 4.2.x ...

I'll wait then for the 4.3.1 jailbreak :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
compiler said:
Thanks for the answer :)

I just thought that being the iPAD iOS a "debian based" Linux distribution, it could be possible to "dpkg-repack" Safari and "dpkg -i" it in 4.2.x ...

I'll wait then for the 4.3.1 jailbreak :)

Sounds like you should give it a shot and post up if it works ;-) what u said makes sense. I had asked a similar question of if there was a way thru jailbreak to get the updated safari nitro. Haven't found an answer to it yet but your post seems like it could be.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OP
C

compiler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a 4.3.x ipad to "repack" safari, and I don't even have itunes (to update ipad I have to borrow a windows laptop for a friend, I'm a Linux user) so I'm not able to do backup + test + restore + test again + profit...

Most reactions

Latest posts