What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade or wait?

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it all depends if you are going to take advantage of the new features. If you plan on video chatting and downloading high quality graphics apps then it would be worth it.

For me it seems i do an every other one method. I am planning on buying the ipad 2 and then probably will not buy another ipad until the 4th update. I have done this will all the apple products i own and it works well for me.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it seems i do an every other one method. I am planning on buying the ipad 2 and then probably will not buy another ipad until the 4th update. I have done this will all the apple products i own and it works well for me.

Same for me, since i like gaming i need the additional GPU and CPU power of the IPad2, i dont mind the camera.

So if the IPad 3 is "only" going to advance in things not really boosting the processor/graphical power i will also go for the 4th generation.

Bet there will be more RAM in the 3rd generation. But if this would be the only boost ill let it be.

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPad already I do not see why you would need to upgrade unless it for business purposes only (I.e video chat). I can't say that the new cameras are nice however, simply, they suck. Though the overall design is nice and I'm using my iPad all the time, but the original iPad can do almost anything the iPad. 2 can do.

Here's a sample pic with the cameras so you can see how much they suck.
b0702a18.png

It's cool that you can take pictures on the iPad then upload them right to the photobucket app. I don't use my computer anymore to post.

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I'm upgrading to iPad 2 , my son has always got my iPad and I hardly get to use it , so I'm giving him and my daughter that to share.I'll then have the iPad 2 for myself, kid app free.if I find out later it's not worth having two iPads then I will just eBay it.I'm not bothered about the cameras but the faster speed and graphics combined with it being thinner and bit lighter are well worth the upgrade for me.if there is a dramatic upgrade with iPad 3 that I just can't wait to have and I can afford it at the time, I will eBay my iPad 2 and put the difference towards the new one, kids will keep the original iPad as it won't be worth as much as the iPad 2 by then.

This year I would have given the new iPhone 4 a miss as I'm happy with mine but I need a bigger capacity so that's swayed me,need to upgrade to 32g as I'm running out of space on mine for apps and it's annoying to have to erase them. I'll get the new one, hubby will get the iPhone 4 if he wants it and my daughter the 3GS (that my husband has now) and my son will get my daughters original iphone so everyone's happy.

Iv got it all worked out lol those are my reasons for upgrading and I'm sticking to them.
I would not however do this with a pc and usually get the best specs i can at the time and keep it for good 3 years before investing in a new one, then passing it on to the kids.

Vonbonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You shouldn't upgrade in my opinion. The cameras aren't supposed to be good and that is one of the main reasons to upgrade. Since you are a freshman in college if you have the 500 bucks sitting around put it away for a CAR in a few years :). Keep your eye on the prize :).

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a genius but Im convinced that the USB is a no. If they were going to make a port they would have put it on the 2 somehow. Jobs is fine with the way it is. I was under the impression however that the iPad 3 would feature a smaller unit to compete with the different sized droits available now. 7" anyone?

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
I'm not a genius but Im convinced that the USB is a no. If they were going to make a port they would have put it on the 2 somehow. Jobs is fine with the way it is. I was under the impression however that the iPad 3 would feature a smaller unit to compete with the different sized droits available now. 7" anyone?

And if they were going to make a camera they would have put it on the first one, but Jobs intentionally left stuff out of the first so he could make at least 4 more generations. You've seen it in the iPhone.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait, honestly. I bought the iPad 2 because I wanted an iPad and never had one. However, iPad 3 seems likely to have Retina display or something similar. IMO iPad 2 is evolutionary. iPad 3 will be revolutionary. IMO unlikely. Apple already spent R&D money developing the 2. Also, Jobs indicated that iPad 3 would be for next year.

My, my my, evolutionary not revolutionary ... iPad3 will have Retina, USB, HDMI ports, Flash, and come in 7" size even though SJ mentioned the 7" screen was too small ... Flash caused lots of problems, and USB is for .jpg via the camera kit adapter.

I can see you have been reading ... we'll all be watching to see what really happens. I can appreciate your opinions, however. We all have them. But if you are selling ... keep trying. It's not working here, however.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many references to the iPad 2 being similar to the iPhone 3gS. Not really a good upgrade for iPhone 3g owners but good for the first gen iPhone people.

I think the iPad 3 will be a good upgrade for first gen iPad owners. For *most* (exceptions abound) the ipad2 upgrade is not a great one.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:
There are many references to the iPad 2 being similar to the iPhone 3gS. Not really a good upgrade for iPhone 3g owners but good for the first gen iPhone people.

I think the iPad 3 will be a good upgrade for first gen iPad owners. For *most* (exceptions abound) the ipad2 upgrade is not a great one.

I agree with this very. Even with the new A5 processor, CPU power/speed increase is minimal, the put the graphics power on steriods though. Ipad3 will have even more powerful CPU and gnu than ipad2 along with some other goodies and great surprises. I'm trying to hold off as long as I can. For ex. Real racing hd2. They had an ipad2 update to take advantage of the extra power. I stayed away from it at first because I kept reading how horrible it was on ipad1. Manna, that can be further from the truth. I have it on my ipad1 and it runs great. Graphics are topnotch and it runs very smoothly with no hiccups. There hasn't been NO apps built from the ground up yet to take advantage of the ipad2 hardware. All that's out is rehash of ipad1 apps with slightly more detailed graphics that u can't even hardly tell the difference, despite what people saying. Like imovies, although u can't download it officially for ipad1, I have it. It works perfectly along with GarageBand also. Don't count the ipad1 out yet as it's no slouch, people. Just saying..lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:

I agree with this very. Even with the new A5 processor, CPU power/speed increase is minimal, the put the graphics power on steriods though. Ipad3 will have even more powerful CPU and gnu than ipad2 along with some other goodies and great surprises. I'm trying to hold off as long as I can. For ex. Real racing hd2. They had an ipad2 update to take advantage of the extra power. I stayed away from it at first because I kept reading how horrible it was on ipad1. Manna, that can be further from the truth. I have it on my ipad1 and it runs great. Graphics are topnotch and it runs very smoothly with no hiccups. There hasn't been NO apps built from the ground up yet to take advantage of the ipad2 hardware. All that's out is rehash of ipad1 apps with slightly more detailed graphics that u can't even hardly tell the difference, despite what people saying. Like imovies, although u can't download it officially for ipad1, I have it. It works perfectly along with GarageBand also. Don't count the ipad1 out yet as it's no slouch, people. Just saying..lol

Real Racing HD2 ran OK on my iPad1, but on the iPad2 the graphics are pretty incredible. Full-screen antialiasing, better shadow and reflection rendering, and better steering performance due to the iPad2's gyroscope. The next upgrade was built from the ground up for iPad2 as it will have full 1080p, 30fps, 16x9 HDMI output. Graphics will be throttled down quite a bit for the original iPad.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Real Racing HD2 ran OK on my iPad1, but on the iPad2 the graphics are pretty incredible. Full-screen antialiasing, better shadow and reflection rendering, and better steering performance due to the iPad2's gyroscope. The next upgrade was built from the ground up for iPad2 as it will have full 1080p, 30fps, 16x9 HDMI output. Graphics will be throttled down quite a bit for the original iPad.

Good points but come on now..lmao. Are u gonna stare at the screen looking for the better shadowing or reflections? Noooo...or even the anti aliasing...nooooo....maybe a new release of the game version might show bigger improvements but right now, hardly any difference looking at them side by side. It plays great on my ipad1 and can't tell that graphics have been throttled down. I only have real deal games, not b.s. Ones. My type of games are NOVA2, Dead Space HD, real racing2 HD, asphault6, Archetype, Splinter cell...high caliber games like that and they all play well on my ipad1. People making it seem like ipad1 games are crap now when ipad2 games only a simple upgrade/ rehash of ipad1 games. Those extra effects such as better shadowing, reflections, and full screen anti-aliasing is cool but it doesn't make or break the difference between ipad1 or ipad2 games. Show me a completely new game made from scratch for ipad2 then we can really start comparing. I'm sure they will be out in due time but dont think for one minute that ipad1 games are just "OK" ;-) remember ipad1 birthed the iPad2. As ipad1 is the parent. Don't make us scold u new ipad2 owners...lmao. U maybe faster/younger but we are wiser and can still keep up....I like this thread..lol

Reaction score
All my apps run on both iPad 1&2, but I was getting tired of apps crashing due to low memory on the iPad 1. If the apps would have just worked, I might still be waiting for the iPad 3, but with the poor multitasking the iPad 1 simply wasn't satisfying. At least not with a better alternative available.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

Good points but come on now..lmao. Are u gonna stare at the screen looking for the better shadowing or reflections? Noooo...or even the anti aliasing...nooooo....maybe a new release of the game version might show bigger improvements but right now, hardly any difference looking at them side by side. It plays great on my ipad1 and can't tell that graphics have been throttled down. I only have real deal games, not b.s. Ones. My type of games are NOVA2, Dead Space HD, real racing2 HD, asphault6, Archetype, Splinter cell...high caliber games like that and they all play well on my ipad1. People making it seem like ipad1 games are crap now when ipad2 games only a simple upgrade/ rehash of ipad1 games. Those extra effects such as better shadowing, reflections, and full screen anti-aliasing is cool but it doesn't make or break the difference between ipad1 or ipad2 games. Show me a completely new game made from scratch for ipad2 then we can really start comparing. I'm sure they will be out in due time but dont think for one minute that ipad1 games are just "OK" ;-) remember ipad1 birthed the iPad2. As ipad1 is the parent. Don't make us scold u new ipad2 owners...lmao. U maybe faster/younger but we are wiser and can still keep up....I like this thread..lol
Yes I notice. I mean it's video, all it can do is "look better" right? It looks more photorealistic which may not matter to you, fair enough.

The next update will be the real difference. 1080p full-wide screen racing on my 60" 1080p plasma screen makes me lmao!

Not seeing the difference will save you some money! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts