What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade or wait?

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So, I bought my iPad in mid-November and have been extremely satisfied with it since. It is my only computer-type thing and I am just a freshman in high school. With the release of the iPad 2, I have been distracted and bothered by having an "old" device (that's just how i am). I have some extra money around and I could pretty much afford the iPad 2, but the question is if i really need it. I will use video chatting occasionally and use the camera pretty often, and try to use the video camera as much as possible. I really like the design and new faster speeds, but there is nothing very revolutionary, more evolutionary, but i still want it. I am deciding whether i should keep mine and wait for something better, or buy the iPad 2. I know there will be an iPad 3, and probably a 4, but I don't know when, and I'm very impatient. My iPad does what I need, but I still want the iPad 2. Please help me decide!

CarissaGronski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may or may not help:

I'm in the same boat, and have been debating all week. I use my iPad 1 daily, usually have to charge it every day or every other, draining it Ruhr down to the battery. Also obsessed with getting the newest generation, but my MacBook does everything my iPad doesn't. So my biggest upgrade would be FaceTime. Now, my mother-in-law just got her first webcam and is constantly trying to chat with us, and an iPad with a camera would just be easier than "dragging out" the laptop ( which is how it feels now that I'm used to the iPad).

I'm heading to the mall to wait in line tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, first generation iPads are still selling for $500+ on eBay. :)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to video chat, then iPad2 ... ipad original has no cameras.
Graphics performance is way up, this is revolutionary... surprised everyone.
Expect the next upgrade next year... soonest. IMO If you are impatient, why wait. Sell your ipad for what you paid for it (hopefully) and get iPAD2. List price is the same.
Those waiting for higher resolution will be waiting a very long time ... IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you will be selling yours? My selling situation is a little tougher since it has my name engraved, but I'm sure someone, including my friend, wants it. My problem is that I don't have another computer, so the iPad is my main device, otherwise i wouldn't be so crazed over this and I would just keep the first. But it's good to know I'm not alone and just crazy :)

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I mean is that the iPad is constantly evolving and changing, which is why it's is a gamble to get the second if a third will be out... But a year seems so long

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my old iPad months ago in anticipation for the iPad 2. I have no choice now but to get the latest of the greatest. :D

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd spend the money somewhere else. It really depends on what else you might spend your money on - opportunity cost. At your age, the options are endless or you could blow it tomorrow. I'd concentrate on things I don't have that do something different that I highly value or a once in a lifetime experience like travel.

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Opportunity cost is the exact thing that is giving me a problem. I also don not really want anything else and have not wanted much else since I purchased my iPad; for Christmas I got gift cards for my iPad and money because I never really want too much, but when I do, I can't stop thinking about it.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
If you want to video chat, then iPad2 ... ipad original has no cameras.
Graphics performance is way up, this is revolutionary... surprised everyone.
Expect the next upgrade next year... soonest. IMO If you are impatient, why wait. Sell your ipad

still hearing Q4 release rumors for third gen. considering the manufacturing backups with v 2 i dunno now. i'm holdin' out. i am usually a first and third gen adopter.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the rumors of the September iPad 3 release rumors? It is one of the main things affecting my decision.

funforums5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the rumors of the September iPad 3 release rumors? It is one of the main things affecting my decision.

I think it's just a rumor... Why rush the iPad 3 with the iPad 2 just coming out. You probably won't even be able to walk into an apple store and buy an iPad 2 till around July.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the crisis, I definitely feel like it's a rumor. Android is featuring 3 sizes but apple is so much better that it doesn't have to feature three sizes. Do u c ppl sitting outside best buy for an android or a xoom? Heck no!!! They're like zooming to get an iPad 2. If I wasn't at school, I would be one of those ppl there at 4 am in a sleeping bag. If you have a 1, I would be content for now. Wait until everything dies down. I would hate for you to sell it and something happen and you can't get one immediately. That would hurt. Just be patient. The 2 will rise again, into your palms. How many ppl at your school have them anyway?

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm waiting yet also buying..... :)

With exception to the extra speed and FaceTime gen 2 doesn't interest me. I will need 4G and higher res screen to upgrade.

I would hold tight if I were you. Much wiser/better things to purchase at your juncture.

Me, I have actually purchased two more first gen iPads. Gave my first one to the wife, purchased a still in plastic 32GB/3G for $400 and another 16GB for my daughter.

Keep your savings. Gen 3 will be here before ya know it.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
I'm waiting yet also buying..... :)

With exception to the extra speed and FaceTime gen 2 doesn't interest me. I will need 4G and higher res screen to upgrade.

I would hold tight if I were you. Much wiser/better things to purchase at your juncture.

Me, I have actually purchased two more first gen iPads. Gave my first one to the wife, purchased a still in plastic 32GB/3G for $400 and another 16GB for my daughter.

Keep your savings. Gen 3 will be here before ya know it.

I wish I had got that $400 deal dang. Where are you?

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you can afford it get it. It's just like upgrading a normal computer. I mean you aren't still running a 1.2G Thunderbird are you? It's a small incremental upgrade, but it is an upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts