What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated Kindle app even better.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All Amazon media library content, even if not stored on the iPad, is now displayed and available for one-touch download....akin to the Kindle content manager function.

OP
F

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No text-to-speech. I've never used it with the Kindle and Amazon had to disable it for many titles anyway due to publisher's objections. Sounded like an inarticulate robot, anyway.

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think iBooks is the best for a variety of reasons, but you have to respect the selection that Kindle provides. I think when the Kindle gets the dictionary, depending on how smooth it is to use, it will really rise in value.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The books being 4 bucks less is a big seller to me. I understand the whole idea of how an author has to make a living...but you've completely eliminated the cost of actually producing a book and putting it into a store like Barnes and Noble, and yet the book costs 4-5 dollars more? That is complete BS designed to sell books based on the fact that people have an iPad and are willing to buy books at some ridiculously inflated price.

One great selling point about eReaders was always that you could basically get the books cheaper...not MORE expensive.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't buy near as many books as I do apps at the moment, as I have a fair amount of stored up books for future reading. But the one book I've bought in the past month was on iBooks before Kindle, and at the same $9.99 price as Amazon charges for most new bestsellers. I use both, but prefer iBooks if what I want is available at the same price.

james4133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably want to start a new thread for this new, different question.

Anyways, Amazon did not have the "read aloud" feature included in the iPad Kindle app. There is no way to turn it on, and the iPad accessibility VoiceOver feature does not work or do anything in the Kindle app.

With that said, in Apple's iBooks app, the VoiceOver feature IS enabled, so you can have your books/PDFs read aloud to you. The functionality is NOT as nice as the Kindle's, but it does work. It won't turn to a new page (at least in a PDF, haven't tried it in a book), and it's taken me a bit to pick up on some of the quirks, like a two-finger tap will pause the reading, whereas a single finger will stop it, then restart at the top of the page, etc.

I have both a kindle and a iPad 2, and can see keeping both.

Most reactions

Latest posts