What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update iOS5: NEED to backup on external HDD/NAS

jluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Terrible!
1. I've an iPad2/64 with 59GB full and an iPhone4/32 with 30GB full.
2. My laptop HDD (Win XP) has "only" 18GB free. But I've an 8TB NAS available and many external HDDs.
3. To upgrade to iOS5 is mandatory to backup, not to lose data.

HOW THE HELL could I tell the damn'd iTunes to put the huge iPad and iPhone backups anywhere else than on my laptop HDD??!?
I've looked many solutions but...
- symbolic links do not work between XP and my NAS
- looking at the XP registry I cannot find an iTunes key to modify the backup folder.

Any help out there?
Why the hell iTunes doesn't give the possibility to change the backup default folder??? EXTREMELY STUPID.

Thanks in advance!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not positive if you can actually change the iTunes directory of where it keeps e backup files, but what you could do is manually find the files on your hardrive and move them to the NAS drive, and just move the backup back to the laptop when needed. As for the actual location of the backups I can't really help with. But hopefully this is a guidance to a helpful direction.

Most reactions

Latest posts