What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TERRIBLE: iOS5 update doesn't restore some 400apps!!!

jluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help!
I had about 400 apps installed on my iPad2/64 (full... only 1GB free before the update).
As I had not space to backup over 60GB of data on my daily used PC laptop, I decided to use, for upgrading, a very new Macbook Pro with latest Lion and latest iTunes just installed.

So I did these steps:
1. Be sure to have all the latest Lion and iTunes versions
2. Attach my ipad2 to this new "mac" iTunes
3. Do a full backup of my iPad2
4. Do a sync (with sync apps flag in iTunes NOT checked)
5. Do a transfer purchases
6. Imported all of my photos in iPhotos

After all these actions completed properly...
Then I started the upgrade... overnight. Waking up this morning I found an upgraded ipad2, but completely empty. Therefore I did a Restore from my yesterday backup. And how did this restore end?
With ALL my 400apps WIPED OUT, BUT with about 16GB of "other data" full.

If I install, one-by-one, my old purchased apps, they magically find out their last data inside those 16GB of "other data".
I better explain: I used a lot GoodReader for my work, with about 1GB of pdf and other docs. GoodReader (as avery other app) was not reinstalled after the restore, but reinstalling it from iTunes restored all of its data. The same with each other app... reinstalling them from iTunes allow to get back their data.

BUT:
1. It will be a REAL PAIN to reinstall and reorganise 400 apps from scratch
2. How the hell can I get back part of that 16GB of space if I do NOT reinstall (or remember...) one of those 400 apps? Must I remember each of my 400 apps, reinstall it, and then delete it again if I really want to delete the app and its data?

PLEASE HELP! Many many thanks in advance...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to remember which apps you had, go to iTunes and the purchased tab, they will all be there waiting for you to re-download them.

Could your problems stem from the fact that you didn't check the sync apps checkboxes, mine were checked and I got everything back as it was before.

The Archangel

OP
jluke

jluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Gabriel.
I know about the iTunes tab that shows the previously purchased/downloaded apps, but... it's looking at a list of exactly 559 titles... then redownload 1by1, and then reorganise them... A pain!
And what about claiming back those 16GB of "used space" that contains apps data (without the app!)? It's a strange way of managing space on iDevices...

PS: I didn't check the sync flag in apps tab because I was afraid to sync them with an empty macbook... ie. possibly erasing them. Moreover I was certain that when I did the BACKUP... it meant BACKUP, not PARTIAL backup without the apps (!!!). At the VERY MINIMUM Apple should have better advised about what contains a full ipad backup. No?

Thank again!

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jluke said:
Thanks, Gabriel.
I know about the iTunes tab that shows the previously purchased/downloaded apps, but... it's looking at a list of about 600 titles... then redownload 1by1, and then reorganise them... A pain!
And what about claiming back those 16GB of "used space" that contains apps data (without the app!)? It's a strange way of managing space on iDevices...

Well, imagine just how upset you would be if all the data had gone as well.....not so easy to get that back!

The Archangel

OP
jluke

jluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've better explained in my previous post...
Still I think... I'm really afraid... I'll have to reinstall everything.
And this doesn't sound aligned with Apple strategies to simplify your life... Two full days lost (not less), headache and... *very* angry.
Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you look in the iTunes "Apps" section, are your apps there? If not, you have to download them again.

It sounds to me, from your first post, that you "transferred purchases" AFTER you synced with a new PC. You MUST do this before you create a new primary sync partnership with a new PC.

Last edited:

dilipshinde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have similar problem. I upgraded my ipad2. I can see all the apps downloaded (about 120) in computer but syncing apps retores only 54 of them without the organizing. I dont mind manually downloading apps from computer to ipad2 but dont know how. HELP.

Most reactions

Latest posts