What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UNTETHERED 4.2.1 Jailbreak Greenpois0n RC5 B4 How To Guide

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vf-oWoJy6M[/ame]​

The untethered Jailbreak for 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n has been fixed with almost not flaw this time. The Jailbreak is as easy as it was before, maybe not as easy as Jailbreakme.com, but still, barely any work. Follow the instructions below.

1. Download Greenpois0n RC5 B4 for Windows or Mac from GreenPois0n
2. Restore your iDevice to 4.2.1 (if you need to preserve your baseband and you require and unlock DO THAT with TinyUmbrella)
3. Open up Greenpois0n
4. Connect your iDevice and make sure your computer recognizes it.
5. Go into DFU through Greenpois0n, follow the steps on screen.
6. After you are in DFU, hit "Jailbreak" on Greenpois0n
7. Your phone will do a bunch of crazy stuff, let it sit until it restarts and finishes.
8. Connect to Wifi
9. Open up your loader app, that you have now on your homescreen.
10. Download Cydia.
11. CONGRATZ!

Greenpois0n RC5 B4:
GreenPois0n
4.2.1 Firmware(for any reason you need it):
iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Supported iDevices:

- iPod Touch 2G (all bootroms)
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPad 1G
- iPhone 3Gs (all bootroms)
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4 Verizon (_not_tested_)
- AppleTV 2

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It worked like a dream for me.

DO NOTE THIS....

If you have a 4.1 jail broken iDevice, make SURE to edit your hosts file to remove the gs.apple entry.

Likely it was edited through tiny umbrella or some sort of edit to prevent checking apple's server.

That was the major issue I had, once I edited that and restarted, I was good to go.

As far as my iPad went, I had just jail broken it about 2 weeks prior and the final unlock with greenp0ison went without a hitch. Fastest JB since Jailbreakme.com.

Thanks to the GP team. I don't know what I'd do without them!!

Spectrum2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie Questions.

After jailbreaking my iPad do I see my appz still on iPad?
If not, can I restore the appz by syncing with iTunes assuming I had backed up before jailbreaking?

TIA

daveathall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked like a dream for me.

DO NOTE THIS....

If you have a 4.1 jail broken iDevice, make SURE to edit your hosts file to remove the gs.apple entry.

Likely it was edited through tiny umbrella or some sort of edit to prevent checking apple's server.

That was the major issue I had, once I edited that and restarted, I was good to go.

I have never jailbroken, I have a iPod touch 4th gen on the latest update, I was about to give it a go until I read this, I haven’t got a clue what it means.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have never jailbroken, I have a iPod touch 4th gen on the latest update, I was about to give it a go until I read this, I haven’t got a clue what it means.

Then you have nothing to worry about. If you've never touched your hosts file, you've NEVER Jailbroken and have NEVER used Tiny Umbrella, you have nothing to worry about, and can Jailbreak with no problems assuming you have 4.2.1 installed. If you do, run Greenp0ison and follow the instructions.

Newbie Questions.

If not, can I restore the appz by syncing with iTunes assuming I had backed up before jailbreaking?

TIA

Jailbreaking doesn't do anything to your iPhone or iPad other than install Cydia and give you the ability to install jail broken software on it. EVERYTHING is the same.

If you jailbreak and don't install anything via Cydia, your iDevice will look virtually the same, sans for a Cydia icon.

To note - I was a newbie as soon as I got my iPad. I jail broke my iPad and was learned very quickly. Spend time on Modmyi and did my research. It's a solid process and it's hard to HURT things.

Spectrum2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then you have nothing to worry about. If you've never touched your hosts file, you've NEVER Jailbroken and have NEVER used Tiny Umbrella, you have nothing to worry about, and can Jailbreak with no problems assuming you have 4.2.1 installed. If you do, run Greenp0ison and follow the instructions.

Newbie Questions.

TIA

Jailbreaking doesn't do anything to your iPhone or iPad other than install Cydia and give you the ability to install jail broken software on it. EVERYTHING is the same.

If you jailbreak and don't install anything via Cydia, your iDevice will look virtually the same, sans for a Cydia icon.

To note - I was a newbie as soon as I got my iPad. I jail broke my iPad and was learned very quickly. Spend time on Modmyi and did my research. It's a solid process and it's hard to HURT things.

Thanks for the info!

@imbrentjames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to the forums here. Id never jailbroken anything before but I'm relatively tech savvy. Greenpoison, however, can be performed by ANY newbie.

My one tip: Do not install Winterboard or any theme that requires it. My iPad with 4.2.1 firmware crashed and I had to do a restore. Everything is rock solid now and I'm looking for recommendations on iPad apps. Anyone?

@imbrentjames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing... Read up on OpenSSH if you plan to Jailbreak as your device is now vulnerable to exploits. Downloading apps from outside of iTunes with the default password "Alpine" for Root which every Apple Mobile device uses (apparently) is NOT safe.

Cheers.

Kinghalifax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@imbrentjames said:
One more thing... Read up on OpenSSH if you plan to Jailbreak as your device is now vulnerable to exploits. Downloading apps from outside of iTunes with the default password "Alpine" for Root which every Apple Mobile device uses (apparently) is NOT safe.

Cheers.

Could you be more elaborate on what we are vulnerable to???

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rizqullah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me. I got my iPad jailbroken and installed appsync 4+ via cydia. Thereafter, my iPad won't charged and sync with my Macbook pro. It also got Message "cannot connect to iTune Store". Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone with a jailbroken device have a problem. Ever. EVER. Jailbreaking has been going on for 4 years. If you want more detailed security information, focus on the jailbreak forum here or on a site like ModMyI

Rizqullah - No offense, but are you completely stupid? You're posting on a forum that denounces piracy that a piracy related app has seemingly caused you problems.

If you want help with piracy, and piracy related apps - there are forums for that. This isn't one.

You want some simple tips... try REMOVING it from Cydia. Then respiring/reboot.

If that still doesn't work, a restore might be in your future.

And next time if you want help, just think about what you're asking before you post. Piracy isn't really thought off too highly. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And just think about that, would you go posting on a Windows tech forums about your pirated version of Office causing problems with your computer?

Okay - sorry to get onto a soapbox here. Just needed to get that off my chest :)

Rizqullah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank mr. Andsoitgoes for your nice reply. I thought this forum is a place to get help for someone new to the jailbreaking related things from someone else WHO is willing to share his/Her experience in the past on the subject matters.

I didn't pretend whatsoever that piracy is legal and that jailbreaking is illegal. Otherwise, I wouldnt want to do It in the First place.

Thank you

Most reactions

Latest posts