What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unsetting sentence case

sidtupper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari capitalizes the first letter of text entered in text fields, which is inconvenient when you have to enter, say, a lower-case username to login to a web resource, eg, "admin". I don't see any means to replace that capital letter with a lower case one using the iPad touchscreen keyboard. As an awkward work-around, I can go to another application, eg, Notes, put the text in the clipboard, go back to Safari and paste it into the text box. I'd be grateful for suggestions for a better approach to this problem.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see any means to replace that capital letter with a lower case one using the iPad touchscreen keyboard.
Press either one of the up arrows to change from upper case to lower case. If they are blue (like they are in this picture), that means it is in upper case mode.

keyboard.jpg

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By default, iOS is a "Professional" so it will capitalize everything and can't be turned off. You could just press the Shift button (the arrow) before typing. That will stop it.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see any means to replace that capital letter with a lower case one using the iPad touchscreen keyboard.
Press either one of the up arrows to change from upper case to lower case. If they are blue (like they are in this picture), that means it is in upper case mode.

keyboard.jpg

how do you make all your arrows so straight?

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can turn it off (auto caps) in your settings app, general/keyboard. Turn off auto captials

bobdylan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This feature is just completely stupid for input text fields. It could be interesting in Textarea fields only. When developping a webapp for ipad it's really a big problem, end users are not happy with this feature, especially for :

- login fields
- email fields
- references fields

Grrr !!

oboedot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found an easy way to ensure all lower case entry

It's true that Safari capitalizes the first letter of an entry. If you don't want to change your general settings, there is another way:

1. Enter your userid (or whatever you need in all lower case), with the first letter repeated. That first letter will be capitalized by Safari.

2. Using Select, delete that first (duplicate) letter. The lower case userid will remain.

Most reactions

Latest posts