What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to restore due to error 9 - fixable hardware problem?

sgudmundsson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, everybody

I'm having serious problems with my ipad. Few weeks ago I started getting BSoD but it was only yesterday I got the change to connect with iTunes on a mac to try to restore it. I got it connected and tried restoring both in regular restore and in dfu mode, but I always get "error 9", hinting at a connection problem in the iPad (if I understand it correctly).

I took it to a local Apple repair shop and they get the same message, error 9, so that probably rules out problems with my computer. So the repair shop gave me two options, they could open it up to take a look and see if the could spot a hardware problem, e.g. with the dock or something else, that they could fix and then restore the software. This would probably cost about 15-25% of a new iPad.

The other option is to just exchange the old iPad for a new one at half the price of a new one. This means the cost is considerably lower if they could just fix it without having to exchange it, but I have no guarantee that they'd be able to fix the iPad if they open it. The big problem for me is that if I choose the cheaper option, to let them open it to take a look, I can't take the exchange option afterwards if the other one doesn't work.

So I'm wondering, does anyone have an idea how common it is for this error just to be a fixable hardware problem? I've no idea if I should choose to let them open it up, on the chance it works, or if I should just go straight for the exchange option.

Thanks,
Snabbi

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which iPad do you own? If you have an older iPad such as an iPad 2 or 3, you might want to take the exchange option. Were you able to back up the iPad before the failed restore? If so, that backup could be used to set up a new iPad.

OP
S

sgudmundsson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which iPad do you own? If you have an older iPad such as an iPad 2 or 3, you might want to take the exchange option. Were you able to back up the iPad before the failed restore? If so, that backup could be used to set up a new iPad.

Thanks for the reply! I have an iPad Air 2, so it's new, only a little over one year old, but unfortunately only with a one-year warranty. Regarding the backup, I haven't done that but there's really nothing on the iPad that needed backing-up anyway so it'd be fine if I could just factory reset it, the error is just getting in the way.

If you haven't done so already, check the dock connector for dirt/damage and try a different cable.

Thanks for that advise, I'll definitely check that. They tried resetting with another cable at the store though, you think it could still just be some dirt in the connector or damage? The iPad connected fine in the beginning, the computer apparently downloaded the necessary software and tried restoring the iPad. There even appeared a line on the iPad screen showing the process but after a while I got a really short-lived blue screen on the iPad, followed by black screen, and the "error 9" message in iTunes.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From what you've described I would go for the flat out exchange. There really isn't much that is fixable unless the shop is really good at board level repair ( many aren't) and the cost for board level repair might wind up equalling or surpassing the exchange cost. Like I mentioned earlier it could be the dock connector, but not likely based on what you described.

Most reactions

Latest posts