What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate Couch Potato iPad Stand

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having some seriously wicked thoughts regarding an iPad, a metal boom arm and, a 10lb weight...... Dangling from the other end of the boom....

Options:

Hit the boom = iPad top
Add weight = ipad catapult (looking for style points not just distance)
Remove weight = iPad guillotine (autocorrect Ty) okay maybe not but it's not fun thinking about it slowly dropping.

The weight is zip tied and the boom has a position lock that's tightened.

When I first built this setup the whole thing was quite tippy that's why I decided on the counterweight. It's the same principle used with those big towering building cranes.

A better boom would have had a wider stance. I should check out cymbal stands, they might be stronger.

Metairieman55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Version

IpadCouchPotato
IpadCouchPotato
I don't have all the neat tools but I did have a boom mic stand sitting around and a non-used ball-joint type speaker mount so I love challenges! I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and found a synthetic cutting board that fit the short dimension perfectly and there were two handles on either side that reached out just enough that you could safely carry the IPad once mounted. Then it was off to Lowe's for some machine screws, washers and tabs. There were some vinyl mirror tabs and vinyl 1/2" spacers I used also. Had to trim the spacers to allow a tight fit when twisted around the IPad frame. Actually I have a Belkin rubber sleeve protecting my Ipad and in combination with the twist tabs it makes a nice tight fit using four tabs.

The ball receptor was a two piece screw together so it clamped perfectly to the threads of the boom.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Last edited:
OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have all the neat tools but I did have a boom mic stand sitting around and a non-used ball-joint type speaker mount so I love challenges! I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and found a synthetic cutting board that fit the short dimension perfectly and there were two handles on either side that reached out just enough that you could safely carry the IPad once mounted. Then it was off to Lowe's for some machine screws, washers and tabs. There were some vinyl mirror tabs and vinyl 1/2" spacers I used also. Had to trim the spacers to allow a tight fit when twisted around the IPad frame. Actually I have a Belkin rubber sleeve protecting my Ipad and in combination with the twist tabs it makes a nice tight fit using four tabs.

The ball receptor was a two piece screw together so it clamped perfectly to the threads of the boom.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.
Fantastic! I want pictures!:D

jetman1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it I really do. Could you give more info on the part that holds the pad to the boom? some close up pics would help. My wife even likes it.
Yea I gota make one

jetman1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes thanks for the closeup shots that gives me an idea for on how to go about making such a clever stand. Once again nice job:). I will build one myself using your ideas and pictures as a guide.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the compliments, I appreciate it!:)

Now you all have to go out and find someone to build you a stand because it's such a pleasure to use and if some enterprising folks want to commercialize something similar, go ahead, you'll have grateful customers for it...

Tomorrow I go back to the factory. I won't be here much anymore. For those who that makes happy, bite me. For those who's company I enjoyed, thank you, you've made my convalescence more bearable but be good cause I'll join you back during weekends!:D

Most reactions

Latest posts