What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That version of iOS (5.1) is not supported by Absinthe. Absinthe only supports jail breaking the iPad3 on iOS 5.1.1. You have to upgrade to that iOS first, then you can jail break it.

Marilyn

cdaamn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you need to put it in DFU mode when updating if you are jailbroken? Or can I just update normally?

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cdaamn said:
Do you need to put it in DFU mode when updating if you are jailbroken? Or can I just update normally?

you cant just update a jb device. you must restore in DFU mode. make a backup first so you dont loose data

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As scudder pointed out - can't hurt to try. Others have successfully jail broken the iPad without "cleaning" it up first. I have no time estimate, however, because I did mine from a fresh restore...

All you have to lose is a bit of time should it not work because you'll have to start from the beginning with a clean restore. Again, just make sure you have a good backup before you start any of the process.

But, hey, if it works - time saved! :)

Do us a favor, though? If it does work (or not), could you come back and let us know? May help others in making the same decision. Thanks.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Been busy and not looking forward to a 55GB restore. My comic collection and apps are all just right......

Not seeing how it would work, so weary. Might try tomorrow though.

chia43a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absinthe 2.0 untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1 using iPad 1

Thank you for your answer. Marilyn. My iPad 1 is currently with untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1. It will not be so
soon that I will do the jailbreak as my iPad has yet to be updated to iOS 5.1.1. Anyway I will keep you posted once
the jailbreak is done.

Perhaps you can enlighten me the advantage the untethered jailbreak of iOS 5.1.1 over iOS 5.0.1.

Best regards.

chia43a

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can enlighten me the advantage the untethered jailbreak of iOS 5.1.1 over iOS 5.0.1.

chia43a

Well, for me, the jail break on iOS 5.1.1 is the only available to me (I have an iPad3). However, I believe that if I still had the iPad1 that I would upgrade that iOS. Mainly because I like to be as current as possible on firmware. I don't like getting caught behind. Usually, I go up to the highest firmware that is jailbreak able.

Others have said that iOS 5.1.1 is better for battery life. Again, I have no way to test it as I started with iOS 5.1 on the iPad3. But, I am going to move my iPhone 4S up to 5.1.1 (now that the hammering of Cydia has slowed a bit).

Bottom line is, for me, the advantage is that I am on the most current firmware. Hopefully, someone else can tell you the bennies, cause my reason is not really because of the changes.

Regardless, you've got time to move up - there's no rush.

Marilyn

chia43a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. I agree with you that being able to keep up with the latest development is always very fulfilling as it gives one a sense of achievement .

chia43a

30daytrial

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about going to 5.1.1?

1. I want to go to the latest operating system Apple is offering, as long as I can access Cydia, but at this date; it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth.

2. I actually tried it and I got an error. I know there must be a lot of DEV team fans out there who want to update, but unless you already have 5.1.1 installed; the process is not seamless--Yet.

3. I'll stick with 5.01 for now, and check back here every few days.

4. I really appreciate this site and all the others.

fud0gg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After jailbreaking my iPad3, when I tap on cydia icon the screen blinks but nothing happens. What went wrong?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to restart or reset (reboot) the iPad. Then try to OSS on the Cydia icon again.

Good luck and let us know if that works.

Marilyn

P.S. If it doesn't work, all I've read is that you'll have to go back to the beginning: restore a fresh iOS 5.1.1 on it and then try the jail break again...

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fud0gg said:
After jailbreaking my iPad3, when I tap on cydia icon the screen blinks but nothing happens. What went wrong?

Try a reset and if still not working try re-jailbreak. If still not you may need t DFU restore to 5.1.1 and re-jailbreak. That's happened to at least a few people on here.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
30daytrial said:
1. I want to go to the latest operating system Apple is offering, as long as I can access Cydia, but at this date; it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth.

It's not difficult at all. This is the easiest jailbreak by far yet. Plan for it to take 3 hours overall but it is not difficult. Granted I went from 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 so for me differences where well worth.

Not sure what you mean by you tried it. As you have to update to 5.1.1 to make it work. Once you are there it's already halfway.

Last edited:

fud0gg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've reset a few times but nothing has changed. Need to read up on how to restore with DFU and try again.

Thx to those taking time to help.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've reset a few times but nothing has changed. Need to read up on how to restore with DFU and try again.

Thx to those taking time to help.

Have a look at this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863

If you run it through exactly as written, you'll end up with a freshly restored iPad running iOS 5.1.1. Then, you can try the jail break again.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions