What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Cydia - A beginners guide to the Jailbreak App Store

Vaneta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad (first gen) is jailbroken, however, Cydia doesn't respond when clicked to open( never has), the screen rather does a jerk motion/flash, then nothing. I tried to run jailbreak again to re install cydia but the message I received was "this ipad is already jailbroken" Is there somewhere to get just a copy of Cydia? RedSnow was used to jailbreak. IOS 5.1.1 Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I think your easiest bet is to restore the iPad1 to iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jail break it, either with redsn0w or with Absinthe. It will be easier than trying to find and load Cydia and deal with all that hassle. :)

Just make sure you run a backup (in iTunes) beforehand to make it easier to restore (so you won't lose your settings and data)...

Marilyn

Vaneta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I have done that however I have always used the same download, which must be corrupt. Since it is jb with Redsnow, even after wiping it out and restoring Absinthe says it is still jb. I will find a different copy of Redsnow and give it a try . Thank you for your quick response!

Archie Cavalier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is possible. however in order to be completely safe you should stick with the well know sources/repo's such as (big boss, modmyi etc..) hundreds if not thousand of people have payed for tweaks from these companies and if something like this happened it would ruin there reputations. the thing you need to watch out for is if you start adding foreign sources and repo's manually.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does Apple support this 'hacking'? I thought they wouldn't like that... I am confused

No, Apple doesn't support hacking (aka jailbreaking). Their stance is that jail breaking a device may cause you to void the warranty, among other things.

But, given that an iDevice can be restored to stock status with a simple restore ... not much can be done.

Marilyn

Me2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Administrator edit: Removed unnecessary quoting of entire original thread/guide.
=======

Thanks for the marvelous guide. I'm totally a stranger to jaibreaking actually. Please guide me whether jailbreaking helps to enable exploration on important stuffs in the iPad i.e pics n notes. Ive accidentally locked my screen n my iPad air is currently disabled. Since I didn't back them up @icloud, does this jaibreaking helps?

2) Is Cydia compatible to any IOS

3) would I risk losing my pictures n notes inside the trapped iPad air by using Cydia

Really appreciate n in need of your replies, sir. I'm a bit skeptical to jailbreaking for it maybe risking me losing my precious items innit. Please help. Great thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jailbreaking won't help if your device is disabled. All you can do, if you forgot the passcode, is to erase it via iTunes, iCloud, or recovery mode.

If you didn't backup your device, or save the pictures somewhere else but your iPad, your photos will be lost.

If you sync your device via iCloud, and you use iCloud for your notes, login to www.icloud.com, and make sure they are still there. When you set up your iPad after erasing, they'll reappear as soon as you set up the iCloud account.

Me2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking won't help if your device is disabled. All you can do, if you forgot the passcode, is to erase it via iTunes, iCloud, or recovery mode.

If you didn't backup your device, or save the pictures somewhere else but your iPad, your photos will be lost.

If you sync your device via iCloud, and you use iCloud for your notes, login to www.icloud.com, and make sure they are still there. When you set up your iPad after erasing, they'll reappear as soon as you set up the iCloud account.

Thanks for d prompt reply. I was told that there's a hacking way to access the files before restoring it, no further details anyways. Are u aware of it..

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using iCloud for your photos?

If so, login to www.icloud.com via browser, open Photos there, wait until the images have been synced completely, then save them to your computer or other online storage.

I don't know anything else that could retrieve your pictures, not even jailbreaking will help, afaik.

Btw:
Not every iOS version can be jailbroken. The current and only software for iPad 2 and later is 9.3.2, which can't be jailbroken. If you try to install a different software version than that, you'll get an error, and won't be able to proceed.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, in order for a device to be able to be jailbroken it not only has to be on the correct jailbreakable iOS version, it also has to be unlocked. You can't jailbreak a password protected device.

Most reactions