What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn ipad into a cell phone

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone interested in making calls on there ipad theres a app i been using call whistle or whistle phone you can make calls for free and it works damn good over wifi or 3g just thought ill share that with you guys it even assigns you your own personal phone #

9c916f25.jpg

Last edited:

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
When a VOIP app hits that uses 'push' update, I.E. wakes the iPad for an incoming call... I'll be a happy man. Until then, I'm unhappy. ;)

-John

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My coworker is using skype for ipad to make regular phone calls. I haven't used it yet, but he says it works great. No video obviously, but he was able to call all his friends last night and the call quality was excellent.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would need the multi tasking as well. I understand you've made it work - which is great - but what use is it if you're asked about an appointment or a piece of data that's on your iPad when you have to quit the call to get the data?

yxb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice find robb25j.

I may switch from fring+sipgate.com to Whistle Phone and adding the local google voice number... :)

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(Whistle phone) Not bad, had to listen to a short ad before it connected my outgoing call (3G) but the call quality seemed fine. Nice simple interface, looks like you can conference on the 2 lines, will have to try that and see how well that works.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, I just need a app that supports SIP+PUSH. Maybe not Push, if I can background it. Might be something on cydia.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When a VOIP app hits that uses 'push' update, I.E. wakes the iPad for an incoming call... I'll be a happy man. Until then, I'm unhappy. ;)

-John

I agree with you but I don't want to use my iPad for a phone app unless I can multitask at the same time.. To me, what's the point? My cell phone does just fine and dandy

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-John

I agree with you but I don't want to use my iPad for a phone app unless I can multitask at the same time.. To me, what's the point? My cell phone does just fine and dandy
You assume all of us have cell phone's. So for others this would be something we could use in a pinch. Of course you would need a blue-tooth adapter, unless you want to use speaker pad ;)

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
I'm interested in using my iPad as a phone. I'd love to point my G-Voice to it. But it's limited now. I cant LNP my existing busienss line to skype, it cant accept 'pushed' calls. Of course the first complaint (LNP) is a skype complaint, but push is massive for me. I'd like to wear a BT headset for music/phone. A comfortable headset that would receive calls even IF it powered down. ALSO, I need to run background 'things' while the phone call is going on.

Give me that I'd shed my cellphone. In fact it's one of the reasons I got the pad. I'm waiting 'patiently'.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would need the multi tasking as well. I understand you've made it work - which is great - but what use is it if you're asked about an appointment or a piece of data that's on your iPad when you have to quit the call to get the data?

-John[/
does just fine and dandy
You assume all of us have cell phone's. So for others this would be something
we could use in a pinch. Of course you would need a blue-tooth adapter, unless you want to use speaker pad ;)[/QUOTE

I thought I said "I" and "Me" in my reply......

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts