What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making clear calls for free on my iPad using wifi & 4G

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my iPad to make free phone calls since getting it back in May of this year, though until recently, was only able to make clear calls over 5mbps+ wifi. 3G would allow the call to be initiated or received, however call quality was something short of anything clear.

Enter 4G mobile router. Now with little exception, I am making and receiving calls wherever I go for zilch, zero, zippo, using one of the many great VOIP apps in the app store.

If you have yet to explore this cool option on your iPad, start with an app like Whistle for iPad. If you've got a bluetooth headset, pair it up for the sans-uber geek look, or use the speaker phone/mic combo built in, and hold it anyway you like. Just don't hold it up to your head. That doesn't pass for cool last time I checked.

Is anyone else rocking the VOIP on the iPad?

SeaRat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Phone calls via ipad? OMG!

I have this day commited myself to a Clear iSpot and data plan, based pretty much entirely upon your posts on another thread.Hopefully you are correct
re. the unlimited data usage and rocket-like speeds obtainable this way, for which I thank you in advance. But now you say phone calls may be made on my ipad also? OMG2! Can't wait to try it out, Brother/Sister.

SWAGGER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ XUNE...Thanks for your post. I also use my Ipad as a phone with (talkatone + google voice) and it works great! I can use my own google voice local number, quality is great, and send "push" for incoming calls, if ipad is asleep. My only issue is that i have not found a way to get bluetooth headsets to work on ipad for communication purposes. They only work as a stereo. I have done a lot of research on this so if I am wrong please let me know. Also I will need to study what you mean by "Enter 4G mobile router" not sure what you mean by that or what that is exactly. So far my 3g works well on this app combo but 4G sounds even better.

Most reactions

Latest posts