What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn ipad into a cell phone

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
I set Whisle Phone up today and I have now found the answer to a question I wasn't asking....;)

My only issue with this solution was that I needed to receive calls from land lines. Also, I didn't want to listen to ads before calling. That's why I made mine work using a string of internet providers (sipsorcery.com, google voice, gizmo5, and sipgate.com).

I'm interviewing maker of weephone, one of the apps I used in my free 3G/WiFi calling proof of concept. I hope to see what he things the future of SIP/VoIP calling is for the iPad.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set Whisle Phone up today and I have now found the answer to a question I wasn't asking....;)

My only issue with this solution was that I needed to receive calls from land lines. Also, I didn't want to listen to ads before calling. That's why I made mine work using a string of internet providers (sipsorcery.com, google voice, gizmo5, and sipgate.com).

I'm interviewing maker of weephone, one of the apps I used in my free 3G/WiFi calling proof of concept. I hope to see what he things the future of SIP/VoIP calling is for the iPad.

I think the iPad/phone has some validity as a desktop/BT set up. Other than this (for me), a cell phone is far more convenient, lighter, smaller and designed for phone calls.

Add a camera, real BT headset option, and video conferencing.....THEN the iPad, as a phone, will have a real use for me.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the iPhone Vonage App.

The Vonage iPhone App (NOT Touch app) works great on the iPad. It has a couple of advantages over others besides being free for stateside calls. International is fee based.

1. No commercial - with Whistle you have to listen to a commercial before completing the call.

2. You can register any number you wish as long as you can receive all call on that number (ie your home, cell or Google Voice Number) and enter a registration pin when an automated Vonage bot calls to confirm.

NOTE: Setting this up does not require subscribing to Vonage service. The app is an iPhone app and needs 2X for full screen, but it is not necessary to use, the app which works just fine for me.

Most reactions