What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TuneIn Radio

waggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get this to work properly?
I listen to BBC Radio3, it takes about 2 mins just to tune in, then it starts cutting out. I've tried fStream, which tunes in quicker but still cuts out until it gives up completely:(( I've tried mucking about with settings, without really knowing what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Connected via Wi-FI belkin_G_Plus_MIMO_ADSL

Anyone help please? I just want to switch the radio on, and listen to it in one go, not jumps and starts...

TIA

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get this to work properly?
I listen to BBC Radio3, it takes about 2 mins just to tune in, then it starts cutting out. I've tried fStream, which tunes in quicker but still cuts out until it gives up completely:(( I've tried mucking about with settings, without really knowing what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Connected via Wi-FI belkin_G_Plus_MIMO_ADSL

Anyone help please? I just want to switch the radio on, and listen to it in one go, not jumps and starts...

TIA

OK - I'm shocked because this app is universally loved by Members.

What have you got 'Settings', 'TuneIn' and 'Buffer before playing' set to?

What's the bandwidth of your ADSL link?

Tim

OP
W

waggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, yes it does seem well-liked, maybe the prob's with my ISP, or the BBC???

How do I find my bandwidth? I've just tested my connection speeds, if that's what you mean...

download 4.8Mb
upload 0.6Mb
ping/latency43Ms

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TuneIn is one of my most favorite apps. I'm listening to streaming audio from TuneIn as I type this reply.

Are you having this problem with all the streams you try to listen to, or is it just with the BBC3? .. If it's just the BBC, then there might be a problem with the server, or the path between you and the server..

And... As Tim Spracklen suggests, you can reduce dropouts significantly by increasing the buffer time. I use TuneIn in the car under 3G.. There are a few spots that I travel to where the 3G signal is weak. I set a 20 second buffer and it really helped a lot with dropouts.

ipadowner27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I had a similar problem with radio 1 on my iPhone. I think it's more to do with demand from the BBC server end. A home broadband connection should have no problem with a 128kb stream. Tune in allows you to select other versions of the stream. Unfortunately unlike radio 1 there are no regional versions that you could try. Your only option would be press the middle button on the top right and select choose stream. The other option is a higher bandwidth but may be less used and so not cut out.
You are not alone in this problem and I hope it is fixed soon

Hope it helps
Conor

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, yes it does seem well-liked, maybe the prob's with my ISP, or the BBC???

How do I find my bandwidth? I've just tested my connection speeds, if that's what you mean...

download 4.8Mb
upload 0.6Mb
ping/latency43Ms

I've seen the other replies, too. Your bandwidth is more than adequate, so that can't be the problem. The latency, though, is fairly long (were you pinging the BBC server?) which does suggest a lot of network congestion. I'm not really sure what the issue can be. Radio 3 is probably not the most listened to Internet radio station - but then they might have factored that in to their choice of server. I would have followed the others suggestions. For sure, set the buffer time (in the 'Settings' menu, go to 'TuneIn') and set it for a longer time. The 'start up' will take longer, as the larger buffer loads, but you'll have longer 'protection' against transient dips in network capacity.

Tim

OP
W

waggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I’ve found the problem, it’s with BBC and radio3 in particular. Most stations I’ve tried take 2 or 3 secs to connect, then whatever I’ve set the Buffer time to, to then play. Radio 3 takes up to 3 mins to connect! Which is appalling☹ So of course it takes so long before it can refill the buffer, that the playback soon catches up. Time to write a few letters of complaint to them….
Thanks for your help, all.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I’ve found the problem, it’s with BBC and radio3 in particular. Most stations I’ve tried take 2 or 3 secs to connect, then whatever I’ve set the Buffer time to, to then play. Radio 3 takes up to 3 mins to connect! Which is appalling☹ So of course it takes so long before it can refill the buffer, that the playback soon catches up. Time to write a few letters of complaint to them….
Thanks for your help, all.

I don't know whether this might help

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/FAQs/STREAM202.pdf

Tim

OP
W

waggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found the BBC iPlayer app, which seems better:) and you can rewind, jump forward etc, and listen to most progs less than a week old. I'll give this a go, but I think this will make me happier!

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found the BBC iPlayer app, which seems better:) and you can rewind, jump forward etc, and listen to most progs less than a week old. I'll give this a go, but I think this will make me happier!

Is that UK only? It's not coming up in the App Store for me.

ipadowner27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 43ms ping isn't bad at all. I used to have a 70 or 80 gaming fine streaming fine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The BBC will be releasing a subscription-based international version of the iPlayer app later this year. They have been prevented from distributing the 'free' version outside the UK because the BBC is entirely funded by licence payers in the UK and it seemed unreasonable to make that content available to non licence-payers. The subscription-based version will solve that problem.

Tim

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazingly, that actually makes sense! :) If they include all the content currently available on the UK version, I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

The BBC will be releasing a subscription-based international version of the iPlayer app later this year. They have been prevented from distributing the 'free' version outside the UK because the BBC is entirely funded by licence payers in the UK and it seemed unreasonable to make that content available to non licence-payers. The subscription-based version will solve that problem.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts