What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide between iPad 2 and 3 (main concern is HD video quality)

jdongg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm familiar with apple products as I've got an iPhone and MBP. This will be my first tablet ever though. I've narrowed down that I'll be using the iPad mainly for watching movies and TV shows (a lot of which are HD off itunes) and to read textbooks (not sure about this but willing to try it out since I've heard good things. I'll be sticking to paperback and kindle for actual book-reading though).

I know with the iPad 3's new retina display the resolution is better, but it there a big difference in quality when watching videos and such?

I'm getting a 64 GB model so I'd either be getting a refurbished iPad 2 ($500) or brand new iPad 3 ($700). The price difference is pretty considerable, so if the video quality difference isn't huge I'll probably just go with the 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You said reading textbooks....you need an iPad 3 for that, period. If you plan on doing any reading at all you need an iPad 3.

Now, to see the benefit of 1080p on the iPad 3 screen, you need to be within a foot. If not, it won't matter much. Plus, the files are larger. I don't it is worth it for movies, frankly. But for games and text, it is more than worth it.

ricksipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You said reading textbooks....you need an iPad 3 for that, period. If you plan on doing any reading at all you need an iPad 3.

Sorry, but that is just an opinion. There is nothing wrong with reading on an iPad 1 or 2. Of course, this is also an opinion.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ricksipad said:
Sorry, but that is just an opinion. There is nothing wrong with reading on an iPad 1 or 2. Of course, this is also an opinion.

The op was asking what was the best choice. Text is better on the iPad 3.

Sent from K48

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me if it was just video, the iPad 2 would suffice. The difference is noticeable, but not enough to pay for. For browsing and reading, the new iPad for me was worth paying for.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ricksipad said:

You sound like someone who has not seen an ipad 3. The resolution makes a huge difference.

ricksipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The op was asking what was the best choice. Text is better on the iPad 3.

Sent from K48

I'm sure it is. But "you need an iPad 3, period" is a very strong statement. And a matter of opinion. I read just fine on my iPad 2. I'm not going to spend the extra money for an iPad 3 to use it as a book reader.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Geez, really? I've seen it and it's fantastic. But see my post above. All I've got to say about it.

There is a huge difference between fact and opinion. The way the op asked the question obviously it is everyone's opinion to the correct answer. Fact, the screen on the new iPad is fantastic, thus my opinion is that if he or she is going to be utilizing it for text reading the new iPad is a better choice. Obviously money plays an important role in any purchase like this.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If this is your first iPad, and go for the new one. Reading text is way better than the iPad 2.

Most reactions