What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring music to ipad3

ollyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got an Ipad 3 which arrives tomorrow which my wife and I are going to share. We both have our own laptops with separate itunes accounts and itunes libraries with lots of music, and what I'd really like to do if possible is to setup our new ipad so we can put all our music from both laptops onto the ipad, and simply use 1 itunes account/1 library.

So, 2 questions:-

1) How best to transfer music from our 2 own laptops to the ipad3? Don't want to screw the ipad up from day1 by doing it a cr*p way!
2) How best to setup the ipad3 to use just 1 itunes account, but having all our music from our 2 laptops in the 1 library?

Any idiot proof instructions would be great!

Thanks

Ol

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge. All apps or music with DRM, purchased from Apple under a given Apple ID/account, belong only to that ID/account, and is non-transferable, to any other ID/account, and may not be merged with any other ID/account. However if the music was ripped from CD or other sources and contains no DRM (digital rights management) you can import it into iTunes, on your computer,from the other computer, and uploaded on your iPad. I understand much on the new music on iTunes doesn't have DRM and could possibly be imported manually from one account to another this way. Remember, I'm pretty sure you are only renting the music from Apple, you don't really own it, they do. That's why I only use music I own on CD or other sources, that way I can do what I want with it, with in the law, of course. What I'm saying is that you might be able to import it, if it's not DRM protected, but don't be surprised if the next time you sync, Apple makes it disappear because it wasn't purchased on your account.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you follow the terms of use (same household) and iTunes is authorized for both accounts you can put music/apps from both accounts in one library and have them on the same device. I personally have music from 3 different iTunes accounts on my iPad, and my fiancé (who lives with me) has apps and music from both our accounts on her iPhone without issue :)

OP
O

ollyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Joel

Are there any idiot guide instructions on how to setup the ipad with 2 accounts but putting it into 1 library like you describe? Want to make sure i set the ipad up well and don't screw it up from day 1; your config sounds just like what i'm after so any advice/steps on how to setup (with new ipad out of the box) that would be great.

thanks

olly

cd.key

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I personally don't use itunes that much. I recommend using:
1. ifunbox to install app.
2. copytransmanager to transfer your music to the ipad.

Both are really simple (and free!!!) to use. However, you must have itunes installed. Otherwise ifunbox and copytransmanager won't be able to recognize your device.
I answered a similar thread before.

Hope this helps

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the music you have in your iTunes accounts were purchased from iTunes then the music files will be copyright protected. If this is the case you can still convert all of the music in your iTunes to MP3 so that you can transfer them to another computer. High light all of your music files and then right click on the high lighted files and click on convert to MP3. iTunes will then make an MP3 copy of all the files. Once it is done doing this right click again on the protected music files that are still highlighted and press delete. Now you entire music library is in MP3 format and can be transferred to your other computer and imported into your iTunes library on your 2nd computer. You will have to locate your iTunes media folder on the 1st computer and then copy them to a removable hard drive so you can transfer then to the 2nd one but it is not that hard to do.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Project37, that is a lot of unnecessary work.

ollyw, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I can give you a couple of different sets of directions depending on how your computers are setup and how comfortable you are with configuring them.

First, if all the media you want in both libraries is purchased from the iTunes store all you need to do is pick which computer you want to sync with and then do the following at that computer:

1. Log out of the iTunes store account currently being used on that computer.
2. Log in to the iTunes store using the other iTunes account.
3. In the Store click Purchased in the Sidebar
4. Click on the Music button at the top of the page if it's not already selected
5. Click All Music
6. On the bottom right will be a button that says Download All. Click on that. You may or may not be asked to authorize the computer at this point (I've had it ask at this point, but also seen it not ask until the first time you play a song from the account)
7. It'll take awhile depending on how much music you have, but when it's done all the purchased Music from both accounts will be available on that computer.
8. Repeat as necessary for any apps or other media.

If you prefer to either not redownload everything, or if you have a lot of stuff that's not from the iTunes store let know if your computers are able to share files over your network or not and I can give you a couple of different methods are getting the media from one computer to the other. It mostly depends on whether or not you can copy files over your network or if you'll need to use DVDs and/or flash drives :)

Most reactions