What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring Facetime call from iPhone 6+ to iPad Air

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never know when my daughter is going to Facetime with my littlw granddaughter. Both my iPhone and iPad Air notified me this time. I usually have the sound muted in the pad because of annoying videos. I picked up the iPad Air because I knew it was a Facetime because it was also playing my daughter's ringtone. Since the pad was just sitting in my table it was asleep. I could not see how to just swipe to answer rhe Facetime. I then picked up my iPhone. By then the call ended and I called her back on the pad.

How can I answer the iPhone when it is a Facetime and have it transferred to my iPad? I don't always notice it is a Facetime call when I answer my phone. I hear my daughter's ringtone and then answer the phone (I wish you could set a different ringtone for Facetime).

Is it possible to answer a Facetime on the iPhone and then also connect into it with the iPad? Both are on my account and share comtacts, apps, etc. Both ring for Facetime calls.

I can't turn it off on my iPhone because my husband and I go for walks and sometimes she Facetimes us while we are out walking and I don't carry the pad around. We also travel across the country twice a year, one direction one time and then back. Therefore, I need the phone Facetime activated.

I Googled it but came up blank.

Thanks

iPhone 6+
iPad Air
Newest iOS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way of transferring a call once it has been accepted. Generally, if it's inconvenient to continue the call on the device I answered on, I just call back.

There is something you can do to identify the caller, which I just remembered. Go to Settings/Phone/Announce Calls and set it to Always. You can't do this for the iPad, but the phone will tell you the name of the caller, if it's in your Contacts. Then you know to answer the call on your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Kevin, I have found more info, but just a little about it.

I think I have the solution but not sure how to use it. On my iPhone 6+ in Settings, General, Handoff. I think it needs to be on, which it was. But on the iPad Air Settings, General, Handoff, it was turned off.

I also saw a setting in the Facetime to accept phone calls. I don't know if that needed to be on or not, it was off. The Facetime above it was on, but the phone calls was off. I am thinking that it could be off and not affect the handoff, because I would be handing off a Facetime session. I believe that I had that option turned on quite a while ago and turned it off because I did not want the phone calls going to my iPad. I left it off. I think that I will Facetime with my husband's phone tomorrow and see what happens.

I did try to answer my last Facetime call a few hours ago from my daughter with my pad but it was asleep and I could see no place to accept it and wake it up. I then answered it in my iPhone but we were disconnected and I had to Facetime her back. That is not the way I believe it is to be done. I don't think I should have to Facetime her back.

Is there anyone who can explain what and how the handoff works? How can I solve the problem of answering a Facetime on a sleeping iPad?

How can I transfer a Facetime session that was answersd on my iPhone to my iPad?

Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Handoff allows you to start an action on one device (for example, this post which I started on my iPhone) and then continue it on another device, in this case my MacBookPro.

The icon at the top of the dock, as seen in the second image shows the Safari page which is open on my phone and available for Handoff.

IMG_8101.PNG
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.26.25 PM.png

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use Handoff between iPad and iPhone, you need to look in the multitasking screen where the available app will appear at the bottom of the screen.

IMG_8102.PNG

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having said all that, Handoff will not help for transferring calls from one device to another.

Most reactions