What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No audible notification on Incoming Facetime Call

paulbartell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear no sound at all when a new Facetime call comes in… I press the green answer button and the call itself works fine, volume is fine, Facetime call works properly. But if I'm not staring at the iPad I hear nothing and miss the call.

Settings--> Sound --> shows full volume on Ringer and Alerts, change with buttons is Green, ringtone is acceptable loud enough when I test it

I see a bunch of similar posts but none that actually came to a solution… Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have not muted the iPad by accident. Depending on your settings Mute will be either the side switch (next to the volume buttons) or an icon in the Control Panel (when you swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen).

Mute's whole purpose is to stop system sounds like ringtones and alerts; which is why your music and/or games aren't affected by it (usually).

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have not muted the iPad by accident. Depending on your settings Mute will be either the side switch (next to the volume buttons) or an icon in the Control Panel (when you swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen). Mute's whole purpose is to stop system sounds like ringtones and alerts; which is why your music and/or games aren't affected by it (usually).

Just a small correction, mute does mute game audio. The only audible thing is media playback.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a small correction, mute does mute game audio. The only audible thing is media playback.

Depends on the developer and game. I've seen it go both ways.

Edit:

Ok, I'm going to correct myself and go with abababa...'s (sorry, lost count) answer instead. While I'm mostly sure I remember game sounds being unpredictable, I just went through most of the games on my iPad, and not one of them made a peep (including Angry Birds). :eek:

Last edited:
OP
paulbartell

paulbartell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the switch next to the volume buttons on the upper right side of the iPad. It had been in a position where it was showing a red dot. I switched it. No change to lack of sound on incoming facetime problem.

I thought this was a "lock rotation" switch, but it has something to do with muting?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried the switch next to the volume buttons on the upper right side of the iPad. It had been in a position where it was showing a red dot. I switched it. No change to lack of sound on incoming facetime problem. I thought this was a "lock rotation" switch, but it has something to do with muting?

The switch can be set to either mute or lock rotation.

OP
paulbartell

paulbartell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for straightening me out on the side switch. Settings->General->LockRotation is indeed checked.

Settings->DoNotDisturb->Manual is off, Scheduled is off, Allow Calls From is set to Everyone, Repeated Calls is On, Silence OnlyWheniPadIsLocked is checked. Since Manual is off none of the rest of DoNotDisturb matters, right?

Still not hearing any noise when a Facetime call comes in. So... anything else I should check?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You didn't say whether you checked the Control Panel to see if Mute is on there. If the side switch is set to Lock Rotation, the mute control will be in the Control Panel. Swipe up from the 'bottom edge' of the screen to see the Control Panel. The Mute on/off will be bell in a circle icon. Highlighted (white) is on.

Depending on your settings the Control Panel can be available from most screens (lock, home, or in app), but it is always available when you are viewing a Home screen.

Edit: Adding a screenshot.

MuteIcon.png

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, if nothing else has worked, including Johanna's last suggestion, you may be ready for the big guns.

In Settings > General > Reset you'll find the Reset All Settings option. This will not affect your content, your apps, or your account settings; but it will default most other settings on the iPad. That should include the ringtone settings for FaceTime. It looks a bit scary when you use it, because it looks a lot like Erasing All Content and Settings (which you want to be very careful not to select). But it is safe.

You'll want to spend a bit of time after, going through your settings and re-tweaking them back to they way you like; wallpaper, privacy settings, etc.

Good luck.

OP
paulbartell

paulbartell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Johanna -

Yes alert sounds are enabled

In Settings->NotificationCenter->Facetime… BadgeAppIcon is ON, AlertSound is Night Owl, ShowInNotificationCenter is ON, Include set to 5 Recent Items and ShowOnLockScreen is ON

In Settings->NotificationCenter all switches are ON, SortManually is checked

Still no sound on incoming

OP
paulbartell

paulbartell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet -

It just keeps getting worse here… ever hear "No good deed goes unpunished?"

Im doing this all for an elderly friend, stroke victim. Turns out I cant get Reset all Settings to go because I don't know the "Restrictions Passcode", I doubt that he knows it either. Arrrgh!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet - It just keeps getting worse here… ever hear "No good deed goes unpunished?" Im doing this all for an elderly friend, stroke victim. Turns out I cant get Reset all Settings to go because I don't know the "Restrictions Passcode", I doubt that he knows it either. Arrrgh!

Thats really bad luck... Have you asked him... If he knows by any chance...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a thought here.....

If mute was already activated when the setting was changed to Lock Rotation, the iPad has been known to stay muted.

Others have had this happen.

So I would play around with that setting to see if this could be it.....

Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts