What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring ebooks between Ipads from Overdrive

vernonwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have purchased iPad 3 and set it up based on my IPad 2. All Apps transferred except my ebooks in Overdrive. How do I transfer these? Check out? Worried I might lose the books which I am still reading.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked on your Overdrive App to see if you can reload your book to your new ipad 3?

OP
vernonwilliams

vernonwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found no such options. Just a CHECK OUT / DELETE option. Found no literature on this anywhaere yet.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering if you are only able to check it out on one mobile device. I cannot remember if I have ever read my library books both on my ipad and my ipod.

Do you by chance have Over Drive on your computer where you can load that way-if it is possible?

mattrweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet the books did not carry over because this would amount to the creation of another copy of the book and I bet that's something DRM won't allow in this case.

In the Overdrive app on the new iPad, go to "Get Books" and open up your library's overdrive page. Click on "My Account" then on "My Checkouts." Assuming you have only downloaded an item once, you should be able to click "download" again. I think you can download something only twice (maybe three times? Not sure) during your checkout period. If you have reached the download limit, contact your local library because they should be able to reset the download limit provided that the book has not expired. You will not have your bookmarks preserved, etc, but you should be able to get your books.

Signed, your friendly neighborhood librarian.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, "friendly neighborhood librarian," for the excellent guidance. :) Should help many with this Overdrive app as they move from device to device.

And, welcome to the forum, Vernon and Matt! Good to "see" you both and I hope you enjoy your visits. Have a browse and see what else we've got - we're a pretty friendly bunch here.

Marilyn

OP
vernonwilliams

vernonwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, guys. I haven't quite figured it out completely yet. Waiting to hear from the bookstore I bought it from if I can download the books again.
Serves me right for being an Apple junky with all three versions of the iPads! I can't resist!

Most reactions