What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving ebook from Overdrive to iPad1

jercook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

This is probably basic to all you iPad experts but we are baffeled on getting an ebook from our local library to our new iPad1 that we got this last weekend.

We have the book loaded into Overdrive and my wife is reading it using the Overdrive app but we cannot figure out how to get it into the iPad library so she can take advantage of the iPad reading features like increased font, searching, etc.

Any suggestions reduced to the mind of a newbie will really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone who is more knowledgable hopefully speak up, but I don't believe this is possible.

kramrengaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to install the iPad Overdrive app from the app store onto your iPad. Once you open the app it has instructions on how to access your library web site and DL books directly into the Overdrive app on the iPad.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're wanting to move it into Ibooks??? I don't know of any way possible because of the DRM on the books . There is a bookmarklet that I mentioned here before that will allow you to transfer to Bluefire Reader which is a very nice full featured ereading app. Free in the app store. I'll try to find the bookmarklet in the meantime. Its a bit tricky to set up in Safari and sometimes is quite annoying to use, not always working immediately.

In the meantime you can use this method. Download your ebook to your main computer. Have Dropbox installed on both your Ipad and main computer. Install Bluefire Reader on your Ipad and register with Adobe so Bluefire can open the DRM on the book. (you only have to do this once). Now drag the ebook file on your main computer into the Dropbox folder. On your Ipad open Dropbox and find the book file and hit the "open with" by clicking on the curved arrow icon in top right. You will see Bluefire listed. Choose it and see the book open there. Be sure you have already registered with Adobe--you will be alerted when you first open Bluefire (do this before downloading the book)

If your library is similar to ours, also using Overdrive, you should have an area in your account that shows your downloads and allows you to redownload. Use that area to download again to your main computer this time to move to Dropbox, etc.

I'll try to find the link to both the bookmarklet and instructions to create it.

Diane

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeahthat.gif

I thought I knew a lot about reading stuff on an iPad, but I have learned a lot from Diane!

OP
jercook

jercook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox

Is Dropbox an app for the ipad???

We are newbies (Or noobs) so all this lingo is still quite confusing.

Thanks,

Jerry

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jercook said:
Is Dropbox an app for the ipad???

We are newbies (Or noobs) so all this lingo is still quite confusing.

Thanks,

Jerry

I'm sorry. Yes, its a free app which gives you 2 GB free storage "in the cloud". There are quite a few apps integrated with it. I use it for moving files from computer to Ipad and vice versa plus moving between apps on the Ipad too. I'd recommend you go to their site and take a little tour.
http://www.dropbox.com/tour

Diane

kramrengaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is a great app. I use it to share files between all my other systems and my iPhone and iPad. But if you want to read books from Overdrive why not just use the iPad Overdrive app...or am I missing something?

OP
jercook

jercook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
using overdrive

My wife is using overdrive to read the books but it does not have all the features asfar as we kinow that reading on the ipad does like font size changes, searches, bookmarks.

Jerry

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kramrengaw said:
Dropbox is a great app. I use it to share files between all my other systems and my iPhone and iPad. But if you want to read books from Overdrive why not just use the iPad Overdrive app...or am I missing something?

I'm guessing that they want a more fully featured ereading app. One reason I prefer Bluefire is because it has night mode, white on black, and its MUCH better than the white on grey of Overdrive from change in settings. It also gives you option of page turn, font size. Not as featured as Ibooks or Kindle or nook but better than Overdrive.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jercook said:
My wife is using overdrive to read the books but it does not have all the features asfar as we kinow that reading on the ipad does like font size changes, searches, bookmarks.

Jerry

Jerry, it does have font size changes and bookmarks. Tell her to look along the top of the page where she can change contrast, font size and bookmark on the far right. Touch in the middle if the page and it will show the options at the top. It doee not have search, Bluefire does.

When you talk about getting it onto the Ipad, are you reading it on your Ipad in the Overdrive app?

Diane

Last edited:

kramrengaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jercook said:

Jerry

You can't actually read anything natively "on the iPad", you need to use an app like iBooks OR Overdrive. The Overdrive ebook reader app on the iPad does offer the ability to to change font sizes and create bookmarks. Not sure about search. I suggest you try the Overdrive iPad app first to see if it provides the capabilities you are looking for.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Overdrive app itself. It works fine for me. It was recently optimized several weeks ago for iPad. Since my libraries use Overdrive anyway, it's just as easy to stay with it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the Overdrive app itself. It works fine for me. It was recently optimized several weeks ago for iPad. Since my libraries use Overdrive anyway, it's just as easy to stay with it.

Yes I agree. Since the optimized Overdrive came out its fine IMO for almoet all reading. The only reason I use my bookmarklet to open in Bluefire is to use the night mode there which I use to read in bed. It also has the ability to "return" a book early which Overdrive does not offer.

Most reactions

Latest posts