What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer pdf to iPad

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I have done this before but now, for some reason, it just won't transfer!

My wife wants a camera manual in pdf format transferred from her MacBook Pro to her iPad 2. I copied the pdf onto her MacBook and then imported it into the iTunes library. The pdf appears under Books and I was able to check it for transfer to her iPad ... nothing transferred!

I then transferred every book from the library (469!?) to her iPad thinking that I missed something somehow. Everything transferred except for the manual. :(

I then went back to "Selected Books" and removed everything. That worked. The book list under iBooks on her iPad was empty. I then tried to transfer just the manual and, when I synced, I saw the message that indicated that it was being transferred but, again, nothing appeared on her book list.

Is it possible I'm looking for it in the wrong place? I know I've been able to transfer pdf files this way before, is there something about the latest OS that is causing problems? I did notice that, as I worked with the list of "books" that some of them were now duplicated ...

[Added]
BTW, I did do a search prior to posting but none of the topics I found seemed to fit.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you only mentioned the Book list:
There's also a PDF list in iBooks:
image.jpg

Did you check there as well?

OP
viningc

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you only mentioned the Book list:
There's also a PDF list in iBooks: ...
Did you check there as well?
Thank you. In the MacBook books and pdfs were in the same list. It's been so long ago that I transferred files to my iPad that I'd forgotten that you had to select them separately. Thank you!

I was going to edit my original post to indicate it was "Solved" but find I cannot edit the topic subject.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A quick way to get PDF files into iBooks is to email them to yourself, Open them in the Mail app, then select Open In iBooks. If you don't see that option (at the top right) when the PDF if visible, tap the center of the screen.

However, adding them to iTunes on the computer is a good idea in the long run. It means you have a backup of the PDF in case it gets deleted from the iPad. The iPad will not backup PDF's stored in iBooks, and they will not transfer/sync back to iTunes from the iPad; so while adding them to iBooks on the iPad directly using email (or other methods) is quick, it is not secure (in a 'can't afford to lose that file sort of way).

So, if you don't use iTunes to add PDF files to iBooks, make sure you keep a copy somewhere else on the computer. Unless you don't care if you lose that file.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. In the MacBook books and pdfs were in the same list. It's been so long ago that I transferred files to my iPad that I'd forgotten that you had to select them separately. Thank you!

I was going to edit my original post to indicate it was "Solved" but find I cannot edit the topic subject.
You're welcome.

OP
viningc

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick way to get PDF files into iBooks is to email them to yourself, Open them in the Mail app, then select Open In iBooks. If you don't see that option (at the top right) when the PDF if visible, tap the center of the screen.

However, adding them to iTunes on the computer is a good idea in the long run. It means you have a backup of the PDF in case it gets deleted from the iPad. The iPad will not backup PDF's stored in iBooks, and they will not transfer/sync back to iTunes from the iPad; so while adding them to iBooks on the iPad directly using email (or other methods) is quick, it is not secure (in a 'can't afford to lose that file sort of way).

So, if you don't use iTunes to add PDF files to iBooks, make sure you keep a copy somewhere else on the computer. Unless you don't care if you lose that file.
The reason I used iTunes is because I have a prejudice against sending anything over the Web if I don't have to. That includes email, Facebook, upload/download, etc if I don't have to. Once anything goes out on the web, it never truly disappears and I'm trying to do my miniscule part to keep the Internet garbage free.

Most reactions

Latest posts