What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Apps from iPad 2 to New iPad

nansipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to transfer Apps or have I to buy them again?

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just go into the AppStore and download them to your new iPad. It keeps record of the ones you purchased. You can also sync with iTunes and have them loaded that way as well. No need to repurchase.

OP
nansipad2

nansipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. I feel a little embarrassed for asking.

gglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about ipad1 apps to iPad 3 ?
Hoping they will still work and I don't have to repurchase !

Thanks !
Even MORE embarrassed....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about ipad1 apps to iPad 3 ?
Hoping they will still work and I don't have to repurchase !

Thanks !
Even MORE embarrassed....

No need to be embarrassed - how else do you learn if you don't ask? Everyone is new at some point and this can get a bit confusing...:)

Yes, apps you had on the iPad1 will work with the iPad3 with no trouble.

As long as you remember one thing about the App Store - once you purchase an app, it's yours forever (and Apple keeps a record of it). You can always put it onto another iDevice you own. And, the really cool part is that you get free updates, too. So, if a developer makes the app bigger, better, faster - you get the update as a simple, free download.

Hope this helps and reassures.

Marilyn

gglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the quick reply and the reassuring words !
This is great !
Of course now I have to wait for the "3" to arrive....

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the quick reply and the reassuring words !
This is great !
Of course now I have to wait for the "3" to arrive....

Actually most people with old iPad/iPad2 would simple choose to restore to the new iPad instead of fresh installation. It is an automated process which takes about 10~20 minutes.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True, true.

In fact, that is what I did - I had a backup of my iPad1 that was about 8 hours old. When I got the iPad3, I turned it on, hooked it up to iTunes and hit the restore from backup button (that iTunes automatically offered me). The set-up took about 15 minutes, which was just long enough for me to take my shower (hey, I was waiting all day - was afraid it would show up while I was in the shower! :D).

The process was fast, easy and the new iPad3 is working like a charm. So yeah, apps transfer quite nicely over to the iPad3 from the iPad1.

Marilyn

wendydiane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have an iPad 1. Would like to purchase an iPad 4. Can the apps on 1 also run on 4? Can both iPads run the same apps? Husband really likes the iPad 1. Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have an iPad 1. Would like to purchase an iPad 4. Can the apps on 1 also run on 4? Can both iPads run the same apps? Husband really likes the iPad 1. Thanks

Sure! In fact, you'll find that apps (1) run better on the iPad 4 and (2) you can run some apps on the iPad 4 you couldn't on the iPad 1 (cause of iOS restrictions).

And yes, they can run the same apps. However, unless they sync via WiFi (or via the cloud), the apps will be separate entities (as in, you would have different game progress).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts