What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top iPad 2 problems

hosseinyounesi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to buy and iPad2 and i was just searching for any problem before ordering and here are some problems i found:
"Backlight bleeding", "Yellowing on screen", "Dead pixels" and "Wi-Fi issues".
Anyone knows that Apple has fixed these problems recently?

Thanks in advance

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could be unlucky as with any such high volume product you could get something from a faulty batch however, the good news is that Apple will replace any faulty iPad with a brand spanking new one so IMHO go ahead and buy one and start enjoying this great product and you can get all the help that you'll ever need right here.

The Archangel

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that some of these reports are being blown way out of proportion. For some people to even see a hint of light bleed they were loading a pure black image, cranking the brightness all the way up and going into a room with no windows and closing the door so it was pitch dark. Honestly that is just not real world use. Now some people did have real issues and it was simply a matter of going in and exchanging it. Don't worry about it, go get one and enjoy it, it's a great device :)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another one here who says go for it.

Just enjoy it for what it does and leave outdated pc expectations behind.
It will change the way you use computers for the better.

OP
H

hosseinyounesi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all,

But i have to mention that I'm going to ask one of friends to bring one iPad from Australia and i have no access to any Apple store in my location. So I'm wondering if there is any of mentioned problems with it and I can't exchange it! Anyway, how common is this problem in iPads? 1 of 10? 1 of 100?

Thanks again

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hosseinyounesi said:
Thank you all,

But i have to mention that I'm going to ask one of friends to bring one iPad from Australia and i have no access to any Apple store in my location. So I'm wondering if there is any of mentioned problems with it and I can't exchange it! Anyway, how common is this problem in iPads? 1 of 10? 1 of 100?

Thanks again

Two things....

1) can your friend check it out before he brings it to you......

2) as was mentioned in another thread earlier, the warranty applies even if you have no apple store in your part of the world, so in the unlikely event that you do have a problem I am certain that it can be resolved, might not be as pain free as if you lived next door to an Apple store but where there is a will, there is a way.

The Archangel

Reaction score
No one knows what the failure rate is, but realistically none of the above mentioned flaws affect your normal day-to-day iPad usage.

And just to be safe, you could ask your friend to have the iPad setup at the Apple Store, that way he or she can check that it is not a DoD unit and if there should be any obvious flaws, exchange it right away,

OP
H

hosseinyounesi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Gabriel1:

1- yes but which of the 4 issues mentioned in the first post can be recognized by an amateur? and how?

2- how a dead pixel problem can be solved with to no access to a apple store? Is that a physical problem or a software one?

@DontUnderstandMyIpad:

what do you mean by "DoD unit" and " any obvious flaws"?

Reaction score
hosseinyounesi said:
@Gabriel1:

1- yes but which of the 4 issues mentioned in the first post can be recognized by an amateur? and how?

2- how a dead pixel problem can be solved with to no access to a apple store? Is that a physical problem or a software one?

@DontUnderstandMyIpad:

Well, three of the issues you were referring to (Screen bleeding, yellow tint and dead pixels), can be easily checked by turning the device on. Just let the Apple Store setup the iPad. Screen bleeding is light shining through the screen, i.e. there are bright spots, usually at the sides of the screen. Yellow tint is fairly obvious, everything looks more yellowish and dead pixels mean that some of the pixels don't work, which again can be easily checked by turning the iPad on.

I would argue that if your friend cannot recognize any screen issues, then there is little to worry about.

Regarding Wifi issues, that seems to be software related and should be fixed by iOS 4.3.2 and if it is not, then you would have to wait for another update. But the main thing to note is, that it is mostly a software issue, which can be fixed anywhere and not a hardware issue.

Regarding your last question, I spelt it wrong, it was meant to say DOA (Dead on Arrival). Again just try the iPad once, just turn it on and see, if the screen works. By obvious flaws did I mean anything that springs into ones eye when using the device. There are always issues to be found with any item, if one is picky enough.

Bottom-line is, if the iPad works at the AppleStore and there are no obvious flaws, (see how 3 out of 4 issues where display issues, so they are easy to spot), then there is little to worry about. Of course there is always a chance of having something break later on, but by simply trying the iPad once before leaving the country can you expect to have a working iPad.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hosseinyounesi said:
@Gabriel1:

@DontUnderstandMyIpad:

Hmm, if someone can't see any obvious flaws then IMHO, there really aren't any, amateur or not. A dead pixel would be hardware but there is still post and couriers........there are no insurmountable problems unless you want there to be!

I think that you are starting to make this a bigger problem than it really is, the majority of iPads are perfect. If you really want one, buy one, if there is a problem you have a warranty but If you are really that worried maybe you should treat yourself to something else?

The Archangel

OP
H

hosseinyounesi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all,

I think I'm gonna buy one ;)

Great forum and great answers, I'll be here more after buying iPad :)

Bye for now

RunningIrish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed a dead pixel on mine. I also have backlit bleed but it is minimal. I was going to over look the backlight bleed, but not with a dead pixel. I'll be calling to document the complaint, but will wait until close to the 1year mark to replace it so that stores have it in stock, but mainly to give apple time to remove their heads from you know where and solve these production issue. I realize that they are overwhelmed by demand, but you are really hurting your image and customer service when you sacrifice quality for quantity. The reason I went with an iPad over the others is because of apple's reputation for an awesome product. I guess I'll be testing out their noteworthiness for customer service too.

Most reactions

Latest posts