What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much to ask for Flash capabilities?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When will Apple give the the ability to electrocute anyone who whinges about not having flash on their i-device. Apple, you suck for not giving me this ability.

Seriously, is anyone else sick to the back teeth hearing this same old rubbish? Oh noes! No flash! Apple has nurfed the web. What an absolute pile of crap. Unless you spend your time playing rubbish web games and watching 'amusing' animations I really can't see what you're missing not having flash. If you do those things, I see exactly what you're missing. A life.

If after all this you still can't live without flash... eBay for the iPad is that way, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Great web apps are available for the iPad - UK users just need to look at tvcatchup and the BBC iPlayer web app for ample proof.

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My company has an online web app that works very well thats all flash. We make a decent bit of money on it because it delivers very valuable info overlayed over maps in a way that few of our competitors do. Its reliable, it performs well, and our customers love it. We arent rewritting it for the iPad. I dont think you can even do everything it does in HTML5. In fact, HTML5 doesn't even officially exist yet as a complete, adopted standard.

You can dismiss Flash if you want, but its out there. Its everywhere, and the only reason its not on the iPad is because Steve Jobs wants to play hardball in the business world. I'm not whining about it. I knew I couldnt do flash when I bought my iPad. I made sure there were workarounds I could live with before I bought the iPad. I'm happy enough with what the iPad gives me that I can live without flash, but that doesn't mean I can be a little irritated about it - particularly considering the real reasons for not having it.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My company has an online web app that works very well thats all flash. We make a decent bit of money on it because it delivers very valuable info overlayed over maps in a way that few of our competitors do. Its reliable, it performs well, and our customers love it. We arent rewritting it for the iPad. I dont think you can even do everything it does in HTML5. In fact, HTML5 doesn't even officially exist yet as a complete, adopted standard.

You can dismiss Flash if you want, but its out there. Its everywhere, and the only reason its not on the iPad is because Steve Jobs wants to play hardball in the business world. I'm not whining about it. I knew I couldnt do flash when I bought my iPad. I made sure there were workarounds I could live with before I bought the iPad. I'm happy enough with what the iPad gives me that I can live without flash, but that doesn't mean I can be a little irritated about it - particularly considering the real reasons for not having it.

Do tell.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can dismiss Flash if you want, but its out there. Its everywhere....
Everywhere? I don't think so. In fact I see it less and less.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer having Flash on my iPad and iPhone (well I do have Frash but it sucks).

Michael

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
haha, I would rather not get into where I work and all that, but its a very custom kind of application. They give us data and we set them up in the system where they can pull various info geographically and spatially at various locations. I would point to you a demo, but there really isnt one. Our sales people demo it in person.

If you're really curious, send me a PM ;)

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look, this is the simplest of issues. Apple fanboys will continue to say how flash is a fading standard and how "they dont even use any websites with flash content", etc, etc, etc. All nonsense. No mobile Apple product will ever have flash, not because they aren't capable, but because IOS is a garbage OS at its core. Apple relies on applications sales to make money, and they aren't going to allow something in their garbage absolutely basic OS that could have an effect on that. You have to know that going in. No, HTML5 is not taking over the internet and no its not going to replace flash fully. And to the Apple fanboys that will complain about my describing of the iPhone OS as garbage, I don't care how you will try and defend it. Its page after page of shortcuts, and that is IT. There are no widgets, nothing integrates into the core OS, its the most basic of basic mobile OS' available. Compared to Android of even old Windows Mobile, its absolutely garbage. The App Store is what sells iPhones and iPads. The core OS is crap.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, people keep talking about Flash like every damn website in the world uses it, but I run into very few sites that actually do use it.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look, this is the simplest of issues. Apple fanboys will continue to say how flash is a fading standard and how "they dont even use any websites with flash content", etc, etc, etc. All nonsense. No mobile Apple product will ever have flash, not because they aren't capable, but because IOS is a garbage OS at its core. Apple relies on applications sales to make money, and they aren't going to allow something in their garbage absolutely basic OS that could have an effect on that. You have to know that going in. No, HTML5 is not taking over the internet and no its not going to replace flash fully. And to the Apple fanboys that will complain about my describing of the iPhone OS as garbage, I don't care how you will try and defend it. Its page after page of shortcuts, and that is IT. There are no widgets, nothing integrates into the core OS, its the most basic of basic mobile OS' available. Compared to Android of even old Windows Mobile, its absolutely garbage. The App Store is what sells iPhones and
iPads. The core OS is crap.

There you have it, folks. The true expert has spoken. Now excuse me while I laugh my azz off...... hehe

OK, my personal favorite: "IOS is a garbage OS at its core." :)

Michael

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No it's far from being on every website, but it's definitely out there. Try shopping for a car online, lol. It just depends on where you go. Apple seems to have been fairly successful at getting people to drop it, which also bugs me. I don't like the device manufacturers playing hardball being the driving force of such technological decisions.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol, no iOS is not garbage. It's a pretty smart os that is appropriately limited to compensate for the slower performing hardware we are limited to in mobile devices. The limits on flash, however, are not part of that IMO.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK then how does your company's app work on Android? ;) Be honest.

As an application programmer I find Flash "apps" to be some of the most poorly written applications I have ever seen. Not kidding. Can't make it as a game coder??? No problem! Come to Zynga! lol

Michael

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say, i really miss all the Flash banner ads that I use to see on the web...

Don't often hit a web page with Flash other than the occasional YouTube link.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too many people think Flash is just about video, which is very much what Steve wants them to think.

But ya, iOS is an App launcher. It doesn't allow much more than that and isn't even particularly good at IAC. The Apps are really good, make no mistake. But that is not Apples fault. Microsoft proved long ago you can make a poor OS as long as you can attract developers. Apple finally learned that lesson.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Complaining about an ipad not running flash is like complaining that your old P3 cant run Crysis.

or that your PC cannot natively support running a Mac OS

Get over it. Deal. Be disappointed, but suck it up and realize you bought a device that unabashedly states it will likely never run flash.

Who cares about SJ and his reasons why. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't and won't without major changes.

So.... There! :p

Most reactions

Latest posts