What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To JB or Not to JB, That is The Question!

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im borderline on JB'in it, but I just dont know.. I was updating my ipad last week, and now I find out they just released an update that will prevent it working with Spirit to JB..

So Im not sure what to do, I sure would like to be able to use 3rd party apps, and not just be limited to what Apple approves...

But I also feel that my ipad will be more vulnerable to viruses or system errors, or what not..

Anyway, if anybody has some advice to help me make a decision lemme know, thx.

T

TJK

Despite the rabid rantings of the pro-JB crowd I just don't see the point. I'm pretty happy with the iPad as it is out of the box for my use and when they finally port iOS4 I'll be happy to have the multi-tasking and folders. Plus, my company is a registered Apple Developer both for apps and hardware so I would not want to do anything that might jeopardize that status.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbroke mine mostly because it was so easy to do and I just wanted to try it out. I really like it and honestly have used it to "try out" app I was thinking about buying. With there not being an option to demo an app I feel like it is necessary. It is hard to just go off what people say in the reviews. It has actually got me to purchase more apps than I normally would. I may go back to stock eventually but it has been fun to try out some of the other things out there.

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im borderline on JB'in it, but I just dont know.. I was updating my ipad last week, and now I find out they just released an update that will prevent it working with Spirit to JB..

So Im not sure what to do, I sure would like to be able to use 3rd party apps, and not just be limited to what Apple approves...

But I also feel that my ipad will be more vulnerable to viruses or system errors, or what not..

Anyway, if anybody has some advice to help me make a decision lemme know, thx.

Well, over the years I have been "testing" I have found that if you follow ALL directions and proper steps, and do a little reading before doing anything to your toy's, you will find all the answers to what not to do to keep your things from being vulnerable to virus, and others hacking into it.

Just remember that if you tinker with something that was not made to tinker with you will always find some sort of problem, all you need to do is find the right way to fix it from happening ever again to you.

My 2 cents.

Dafe.

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went thru the same dilemma when i 1st got my ipad a few days ago. Ive been following the jailbreak scene since the 1st ipod touch and jailbreakme.com...But i almost felt guilty doing it on a new ipad. But that guilt lasted all of 48 hours and i ended up jailbreaking it and I havent looked back since. Maybe when 4.0 comes out ill update w/out the need of a jailbreak cause I love having multitasking on my ipad.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no reason not to jailbreak the iPad. Why would anyone purposefully deprive themselves of the ability to multitask and have quick access through SBsettings over their settings? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone not want the OPTION to run programs such as wifi sync and activator and BTStack GPS and iFile and multiIconmover. Just doesn't make sense why someone would force their experience with the iPad to be worse, on purpose, by not jailbreaking.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh oh, I updated to 3.2.1 7b 405, last week so I think I'm screwed as far as j.b.ing..

But that update says that it installed Bling and there is no bling as my search engines.. So maybe I didn't get the latest update? Anybody?

Dafe1er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh oh, I updated to 3.2.1 7b 405, last week so I think I'm screwed as far as j.b.ing..

But that update says that it installed Bling and there is no bling as my search engines.. So maybe I didn't get the latest update? Anybody?

That is funny, as I forgot that Bing was to be in the update, so you are correct, I am running 3.2.1 for a few days now and I have No Bing either....lol

No bing what the....

And I just read that we might end up like the itouch users and have to pay for the 4.1 update. If that happens say good bye to the bad guy.....

Dafe.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
And I just read that we might end up like the itouch users and have to pay for the 4.1 update. If that happens say good bye to the bad guy.....

Dafe.

ipod touch users no longer have to pay.
also only major updates were paid, so 5.0 would be the next paid iOS.

I Think its ok for the to charge for OS updates. MS charges for OS updates. Also paying for updates gives them more reason to continue udating.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yeah, but doesn't Itunes back up by default before installing the new firmware?

it backs up your settings and data.
you wont be able to downgrade to 3.2.

if you are planning on jailbreaking and are already upgraded to 3.2.1 you will have to wait for a new jailbreak for the 3.2

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you provide me whith the steps to back up, so next time I update I have the option of downgrading? Thx in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts