What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Not To Jailbreak..or Why You Should JB..

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why Not To JB..

Your risk a vulnerable os, susceptible to virus attacks or worms..

You may get corrupt data thru one of the apps you dl that may corrupt the system..

You void warranty from Apple (but you can always downgrade and restore)

The apps available are great, but don't go thru rigorous testing that Apple puts the apps thru before approving..

Your iPad may just stop working suddenly, and don't go crying to Apple if this happens..

Apple provides somewhat of a virtual gate with their firmware upgrades, you don't have this benefit when you jb..

Why You Should Jailbreak..

Great apps available..

Can do things that normal iPad can't..

The possibilities are endless..

LGgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why Not To JB..
Your risk a vulnerable os, susceptible to virus attacks or worms..
You may get corrupt data thru one of the apps you dl that may corrupt the system..

this is bogus fud. virus or worms on unix are much more difficult than the windows world, not likely weather an iphone,ipad,ipod or OS X

For the really paranoid in the JB world you can install a program like firewall IP.

" but don't go thru rigorous testing that Apple puts the apps thru before approving.." you have to be kidding, apple has QA news to most of the mac world.

"
Your iPad may just stop working suddenly, and don't go crying to Apple if this happens.." This just crap , I've been JB on my iphone since 1.1 and had a few apps crash but it never stopped working.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad ceasing up and becoming unusable due to a piece of software is impossible. All jail breaking does is gives you the ability to use your device as you use your computer. Just as you can't permanently lock up your computer with installed software, same goes for your idevice. If you screw up the os, reinstall it...done. If you somehow actually got a virus (not likely) restore it...done.

Your iPad is a computer. It handles code exactly the same as your desktop computer. It is just a Linux build. Apple was nice enough tp provide us with a ghosting system that restores the iPad to where you left it off in case of emergency. Use it of you need to!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ~ that settles if for me. I have lots of confidential info on mine pertaining to my clients.

I never thought of that. Thanks Mike. I should put a password on it....

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is a security risk and should never be done to a device that contains info that is highly confidential.

NOTHING is 100% secure. Jailbroken or not the risk remains the same.

I just got my iPad....first thing I did was jailbreak it. I will NOT be held down by ANY company. :p

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Jailbreaking is a security risk and should never be done to a device that contains info that is highly confidential.

I just got my iPad....first thing I did was jailbreak it. I will NOT be held down by ANY company. :p

The risk is not the same, you giving all of the apps full access to your entire system.

even apps that you download from the apple app store can (and some do) do things that it normally wouldn't or couldn't do before being jail broken.

I have seen apps that are from the app store and once on a jail broken device do things like record personal info or even do distractive things like destroy the users contacts. The app could kill the OS forcing you to perform a restore.

also many apps when installed will aslo install OpenSSH along with it. If openSSH gets installed and you don't change the default password, random people on the internet could easily gain full access to your device. Simply by scanning your carrier or ISP's IP range. Thats how the one worm/virus worked that would scan the cellphone carriers IP range for JB iphone and then install itself, tell you the device is hacked and demand money for instructions how to remove it. Another one like it places an image of Rick Roll on your iphone or iPads wallpaper.

These things dont happen on none JB device.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The risk is not the same, you giving all of the apps full access to your entire system.

even apps that you download from the apple app store can (and some do) do things that it normally wouldn't or couldn't do before being jail broken.

I have seen apps that are from the app store and once on a jail broken device do things like record personal info or even do distractive things like destroy the users contacts. The app could kill the OS forcing you to perform a restore.

also many apps when installed will aslo install OpenSSH along with it. If openSSH gets installed and you don't change the default password, random people on the internet could easily gain full access to your device. Simply by scanning your carrier or ISP's IP range. Thats how the one worm/virus worked that would scan the cellphone carriers IP range for JB iphone and then install itself, tell you the device is hacked and demand money for instructions how to remove it. Another one like it places an image of Rick Roll on your iphone or iPads wallpaper.

These things dont happen on none JB device.

If you know of such apps can you please tell us which ones so we can steer clear of them?

Jenot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must have JB for:
1. Non-standard keyboard definition (some national characters are missing in apple original mapping).
2. GPS. I have Wi-Fi version and external GPS receiver is connected via BTStack GPS (available in Cydia).
3. Non-battery-sucking tethering on iphone (compared to MyWi). Now use iTether on iPad and standard iPhone bluetooth tethering.
4. Third party dictionaries in iBooks (Oxford en-pl and Collins en-pl pl-en).
5. FullForce - iPhone Apps in native iPad resolution. Much better than "2x" button.
6. Openssh and unix command line tools.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Why not to JB?

Some of the past few posts in the "iPad Hacking" section of this forum include:

Jailbreaking problems

respring putting 16 icons per screen instead of 20

jailbreak error: "Version too old"

Jailbroken iPad 3.2.1 can't install crack app

Skype Backgrounding Issue on iPad 3.2.1

Cydia update problem

And these were taken from just the first page of the section. It just sounds like too much trouble to me.

And if you still think JB is a good idea read this (it may change your mind): http://www.macstories.net/iphone/jailbreakme-the-good-the-bad-and-the-pointless/

Cmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. OK, Where to start? Hmmmm
1:"Your risk a vulnerable os, susceptible to virus attacks or worms.."

This is is just not true. Plain and simple...If you wanna discuss APPLES security flaw concerning the . PDF exploit. The jailbreak community addressed & repaired this before apple & also offeres the repair for 1st & 2nd gen devisces that apples refuses to fix.

2: "You may get corrupt data thru one of the apps you dl that may corrupt the system.."

Well, that's like anything. If u just start touching the screen & installing things without doing a little research about the app & how it works than yeah, u could have issues. Nobodys fault but your own.

3: "You void warranty from Apple"

Non issue... Restore and you're all set.

4: "The apps available are great, but don't go thru rigorous testing that Apple puts the apps thru before approving.."

Maybe true in the beginning. But for the most part, all the must have jail broken apps ( and their Devs) have been around for a while now and are deff. Pretty stable. If there is a revision than maybe it best to sit back for a day or two & let the other guinea pigs try thing out first if you're worried about it.
Second thing is that there are ALOT of other forums that seem to have more of a jailbreak fan base & issues with revisions new apps are brought to light pretty . (Thru real world testing;)).

5: "Your iPad may just stop working suddenly, and don't go crying to Apple if this happens.."

LOL............... What? Really? Never heard of anyone having this issue simply because of a jailbreak haha. Toooooo funny:)

Aside from that my reasons to jailbreak both my Ip4 and Ipad are:
1: root accses & IFile. Gives me the ability to access my system files & their directories just like on my comp. And make any mods. That I see fit. (Too many reasons to list how useful this is)
2: True backgrounding/Multitasking.(Mostly just used on my Ipad tho) A must have.
3: App folders (Ipad)
4: Facetime over 3G (Ip4)
5: Higher FaceTime Framerate
6: Download any file directly to the device right from safari
7: upload 720p video using the native methods without the device compressing them to a almost worthless resolution.
8: Activator. personalize how I would like my screen to behave when I touch it.
9: SBSettings. Never have to go into the settings menu just to do a basic function like change brightness, toggle ON/OFF bluetooth.
10: Free tethering. NO, it's not stealing. I already pay AT&T for Data. I would pay for tethering but not at the cost of loosing my unlimited data.
Screw em.
11: I'm not real big into theming but it's nice to be able to change Icons and what not. (personally, I stay away from winterboard )
12: Direct file exchange between my Ipad, Iphone, & Pc.
13: Sync with ITunes over wifi (cable free)
14: Veency. Control ANY of my Devices/PC with ANY of the other Devices/PC
15: Added security. I like knowing that my root/ user password and login are changed. Just cause Apples, Apple doesn't mean anything. I don't trust anyone.
16: You'll get to learn more about your devices, their real capabilities and limitations. For me that's half the fun of owning them.
17: VM mod. Aren't you tired of safari reloading tabs every single time u switch pages, leave for a sec.?
18: I could list more but.....
I can't imagine using any of my apple devices without them being jail broken & set up the way I want. I don't even think I buy one if I knew It wasn't going to be able to be jailbroken.
You just gain so much more functionality from them once you gain access to the filesystem and put in a little time to get to know what's what.

You can always restore and yes. Sometimes there're bumps but they are usually my error. Either I was just careless or I was messing with things that I shouldn't be messing with lol.

Last edited:
OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"You void warranty from Apple"

Non issue... Restore and you're all set."

i actually mentioned that u can restore in my original thread...

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CMB has the perfect answer. What he says is completely true and so does Ultrimate.

As I said before.....Jailbreaking is about freedom.

Most reactions