What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To JB or Not to JB, That is The Question!

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Oh oh, I updated to 3.2.1 7b 405, last week so I think I'm screwed as far as j.b.ing..

But that update says that it installed Bling and there is no bling as my search engines.. So maybe I didn't get the latest update? Anybody?

That is funny, as I forgot that Bing was to be in the update, so you are correct, I am running 3.2.1 for a few days now and I have No Bing either....lol

No bing what the....

And I just read that we might end up like the itouch users and have to pay for the 4.1 update. If that happens say good bye to the bad guy.....

Dafe.

Check "Settings" "Safari" "Search Engine". You'll see that Bing is now an option.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh oh, I updated to 3.2.1 7b 405, last week so I think I'm screwed as far as j.b.ing..

But that update says that it installed Bling and there is no bling as my search engines.. So maybe I didn't get the latest update? Anybody?

That is funny, as I forgot that Bing was to be in the update, so you are correct, I am running 3.2.1 for a few days now and I have No Bing either....lol

No bing what the....

And I just read that we might end up like the itouch users and have to pay for the 4.1 update. If that happens say good bye to the bad guy.....

Dafe.

Check "Settings" "Safari" "Search Engine". You'll see that Bing is now an option.

so what do you think they will charge us for 4.1?? .99 cents

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh reckon the pricing of iPad software is pretty reasonable so won't really mind being charged as long as there are obvious benefits to upgrading.

Imahottguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jb'ing is a no-brainer. Why? It allows you to get more than just Apple approved apps. to list a few reasons:

Activator: controlling what happens when you click on your headset, if you have buttons. Adding BT Stack allows you to control your Bt keybaord, even the Fx keys. I love that when my iPad is in its' Convertible Book Jacket, I can control media playback via the sleep button and the volume keys (down-up quickly is next track, up-down quickly is previous track, short hold of sleep button is pause/play).

SBSettings allows me to toggle on/off pretty much anything with a quick slide of the status bar.

For the n00bs: Jailbreaking rarely, and I mean super rarely, results in any actual damage to iPad. As long as you use your head, you can really customize your device to your liking. Whats great is that you can always restore. As long as you ensure that Cydia saves your SHS blobs, you can go to whatever firmware you want. This is key if you choose that 4.0 or whatever it will be called for iPad is for you or not.

I've jailbroken every iPhone (I've had every model) that I bought. Why not take control over something you paid so much for? I paid almost $900 for my ijpad 3G 64GB, so I will make the most of it.

There is almost no contest here. There are several other hacks, tweaks, mods that I have that I did not list, for the sake of keeping this short. But feel free to explore the world of mods for this great device.

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using my iPad for a bit, I could use multi-tasking for pushing LogMeIn to the backround and getting to a browser or chat app and not have ot keep logging back in each time. All I really would want for now.....

Too bad I upgraded to latest ver.....have to wait a bit now to Jailbreak....:(

Imahottguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using my iPad for a bit, I could use multi-tasking for pushing LogMeIn to the backround and getting to a browser or chat app and not have ot keep logging back in each time. All I really would want for now.....

Too bad I upgraded to latest ver.....have to wait a bit now to Jailbreak....:(

It seems that for many people the features in 4.x will do. For me, it is not enough. I have seen the greener grass, and it truly is greener.

Most reactions