What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips on draining ipad battery?

Mv-ixius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to apples website it is a good idea to completely drain the battery at least once a month, and then do a full recharge, to help prolong the life of the battery.

I usually keep my battery topped up, and it is very rarely below 50% so I am thinking it would be a good idea to drain it overnight while I am sleeping, anyone got any ideas how best to accomplish this?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A movie or music with the sound turned off and turn it face down...then charge in the morning. That's what I do. Or just set the screen auto lock to never and turn the brightness all the way up.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is the only gadget that you have to go out of your way to discharge the battery :)

I normally charge mine over night and use it all day, and it goes down to around 60% or so. So I just don't charge it one night and it's down to zero the next day and I can charge it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive never seen anything about it being good to drain the battery....it won't do anything...actually I could only see it being a bad thing to do, since LiON batterys have a limited number of charge discharge cycles that are equal to draining the battery completely.

If you really want to kill it tho you can turn the brightness up all the way and play NOVA for about 6 hours...that should do it.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, Apple recommends draining the battery once per month.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple - Batteries - iPad

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually hitting the 15-20% mark every other day...that's when I juice it while I sleep. I never understood those that constantly keep topping off their battery (at a desk, in a car, etc). Just use your device as you normally would and you will drain the battery to a point that will allow you to get into a charging cycle based on your usage.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple - Batteries - iPad

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

I think gentlefury is correct, Li-Ion batteries lifespan is based on battery cycles, so the lower you let the battery get the more cycles you are running.

If you re read what apple says in your quote, you will notice that they state the reason for discharging the battery once a month is not for longer battery life but 'for proper rerporting of the battery's state of charge' or basically to calibrate the battery level indicator system.

I doubt they would have you discharge it once a month if it lowered battery life significantly, so I wouldn't worry about it, but at the same time I wouldn't intentionally do it more often than that.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, and I am aware of what Li-Ion batteries do...that being said, I'm going to take Apple's word for it straight from a specific page about the iPad battery over any one person's view on a message board.

That's no offense to anyone present, of course.

So I discharge mine fully once per month.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I really don't pay much attention to all this for the simple reason that the useful battery life of these type of batteries is about 36 months, no matter how you use it. I will buy a new gen iPad in two years (or before) anyway....

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, and I am aware of what Li-Ion batteries do...that being said, I'm going to take Apple's word for it straight from a specific page about the iPad battery over any one person's view on a message board.

That's no offense to anyone present, of course.

So I discharge mine fully once per month.

You are correct again. All I wanted to warn against is some people will think that if it is good for the battery to drain it once a month, then once a week would be better. But like you said, if Apple says once a month, then that would likely be the best thing to do, no more, no less.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah 100% for sure, I misunderstood what you were saying, my bad. :)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a few iPhone Navigational apps. I think they drain the battery the best, and run well unattended as long as "please take the next left" doesn't bother you ;)

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a few iPhone Navigational apps. I think they drain the battery the best, and run well unattended as long as "please take the next left" doesn't bother you ;)

Yes that would bother me, since I tend to be more aimed to the right... :D

Intranetsites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in 3 days battery goes from fantastic to dismal ..not winning. ...:(

Day one full charge...... used all day

Day 2 full charge used with wifi and 3 g and location services on all day 8 hours use 1 hour of surfing and the meter said 70%. At end of day...12 hours totally drained. :) great day.

Day 3 full 6 hour charge ...said 100%. But 20 mins later says 60% turned off wireless bluetooth, location services, 4 hours later says 32%. :(. Yikes what am I doing wrong)

Used an aftermarket wall charger last night.... Can that make any difference?

Did do a brief 1 hour charge in evening to. 50% level.... Does it NOW remember this new low level as 100% ???
........................................................................................
OK OK
I figured out that the regular USB don't have a enough ummp to charge fast.
it appears it takes 8-10 hours to charge 100% which then lasts me 8-10 hours
so if I use the plug in charger from apple it is much faster.

so all is good
very happy with battery life

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts