What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rollerd said:
If you are interested in printing out a list of your apps. In iTunes, select Apps under Library, select the first icon to the right of the Apple logo in the center top, select File at top right, select print, then select song listing, and then select OK. Then print. I wanted a list before I move over to my new iPad.

That is interesting. Good tip.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know clearing items out of the multitasking bar has been listed but I wanted to point out by doing so you can free up hundreds of MB in memory and drastically improve your battery life.

I have a memory manager and after clearing out 30 or so tasks I freed up 220MB in memory.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are interested in printing out a list of your apps. In iTunes, select Apps under Library, select the first icon to the right of the Apple logo in the center top, select File at top right, select print, then select song listing, and then select OK. Then print. I wanted a list before I move over to my new iPad.

I just take screen shots off all my app pages. That way, I know what I have and can easily move stuff back into place if it gets jumbled. I have the screen shots on one device and arrange apps on another, like using a picture while assembling a puzzle.

sherrygodmother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1957PamelaApple said:
Cool. Love learning this stuff. Thanks.
Does everyone know that in ABC, pausing on or slightly pressing keys reveals a hidden layer? Press ! And in a second you'll get an apostrophe; press ? and there's a quotation mark. No toggling to ?123 for these frequent punctuation marks. And best of all, if one wants to insert an é or ç in a French word - just lean on the letter, and all the accents show up! You can write cañon and Tannhäuser and Rhône easy peasy! Forgive me if this is old hat...

Remember there are those of us who are new and can use your tips.

Did you all know the Emoji pictures can be used to enhance your signature on the iPad? It works great since we can't put fancy signatures on the iPad except for copy and paste.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of keyboards and accents etc, it might be worth noting that when an accent is not provided and there is no international keyboard for that alphabet, it is still possible to type the letter, although it is a bit more involved.

This link will show you how to add characters as keyboard shortcuts if there is no other way. In this case it is for letters that appear in the Maltese alphabet, but I'm sure there are others.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/67302-malteses-fonts.html

Sent from my iPad using iPF

sherrygodmother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DarkRavenMoon said:
Hi all, I have just realised that I can use my iPhone 4s to share my 3G Internet connection and connect to it using my iPad when I'm on the move between wifi hotspots :)

For those that have an iPhone and a wifi edition only iPad try this:

1. On your phone go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > NETWORK > PERSONAL HOTSPOT
2. Enter anything for your password (which will be used by your iPad to connect to your phones 3G network)
3. Toggle the Personal Hotspot ON
4. Now simply scan for any new wifi networks using your iPad and your phone will be listed

How happy am I that I didn't bother paying an extra £100 plus for the iPad with network connectivity not to mention the monthly cost of another data package I'm also saving :)

Thank got my iPhone is still on unlimited data usage hehe :)

That doesn't work for me (USA Verizon). It just keeps trying to connect, spinning, no luck. Boo hoo. Would have saved $ when I can't connect to wifi.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sherrygodmother said:
That doesn't work for me (USA Verizon). It just keeps trying to connect, spinning, no luck. Boo hoo. Would have saved $ when I can't connect to wifi.

That's a pay per month feature for Verizon customers. Costs about $20/month.

My folks can do that free with their phones since they have a grandfathered plan since we were originally alltel customers but I can't since mine hasn't been a smartphone line til last year.

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to listen to YouTube when it's not the current open app !

If you like to linen to music videos on YouTube but want to do something else on your iPad at the same time all you need to do is ope up the YouTube video you want in safari press play and then open another tab ( if you want to surf the web at the same time to listening t the music ) or open an app ...you will notice the YouTube video stops playing.....when you are in the other app or web page simply double press the home button swipe to the right, you should have the media functions available now ....press play and it will resume the video you have in the un shown tab :) ...very handy feature for me . Hopefully it helps others too

Enjoy

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you This is going to be very useful to me. Great tip

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this one. If you are into streaming radio, you can open the stream in a tab on Safari, and then navigate away from it. It will continue to play in the background.

Here's one I'm listening to right now. Hit the iTunes button to start the stream.

image-1525923966.jpg

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Big thread but this tip is my favorite and I don' want anyone to miss it.
Go to Settings/General/Short Cuts/ Put in your email address as the phrase and the first three letters of you email as the shortcut.

This will pay off big when typing emails or logins. Of corse you can build this up to all you common phrases.

Cheers

Hthompson1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big thread but this tip is my favorite and I don' want anyone to miss it.
Go to Settings/General/Short Cuts/ Put in your email address as the phrase and the first three letters of you email as the shortcut.

This will pay off big when typing emails or logins. Of corse you can build this up to all you common phrases.

Cheers

There is not Shortcuts option on my iPad 2. Shouldnt the Auto Fill>My Info option do the same?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is not Shortcuts option on my iPad 2. Shouldnt the Auto Fill>My Info option do the same?

The new Shortcuts as mentioned by zipur came with iOS 5. And, yes, they are a VERY handy thing to have. To repeat where they are (if you are on iOS5): Go to your Settings app - General - Keyboard - Add New Shortcut... There, you'll have two lines, one to input your shortcut keystrokes and one to input the phrase that'll appear when you type the shortcut.

The AutoFill is useful, yes, to put in an e-mail address, but with Shortcuts, you can create anything. For instance, I use a shortcut to type my name and the end of every post, enter in any one of my three e-mail address and to type in long phrases I use a lot. Very powerful little tool.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:
If you browse the Web with Safari, and open a file that is interesting to you, there is a way of saving this file into GoodReader's internal local storage, so you will be able to view this file with GoodReader without loading it from the Internet every time (like it happens in Safari).

To save a file from Safari to GoodReader:

open the file of interest in Safari
tap Safari's address bar (the keyboard will appear)
go to the very beginning of the file's URL address, where the http:// or https:// part is
add a single letter g in front of the address, so you'll get ghttp:// or ghttps:// instead of http:// or https://
press Go on the keyboard (this will close Safari and start GoodReader)
the file will start to download into GoodReader automatically (check Web Downloads section to find it)

I always find difficulty getting to a particular place in a line of text, particularly the beginning of a word.

Has anyone got a tip for making this easy ?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Apps in the list you are showing are not running in background. Yes, you can do what you suggest, if you have lots of time on your hands ... it isn't necessary, as iOS automatically eliminates apps if it needs the memory for new activity. The list is just the history of what you have had active. They are not necessarily active.

In that case how come they still use up memory. The idea is that re-pressing the app icon on screen enables it to start up more quickly. But each "closed" app definitely is still live, running and using memory.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts