What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TinyUmbrella shows these messages, what does it mean?

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All.

I use TinyUmbrella to back up my SHSH Blobs and use the method as laid down in the sticky tutorial.

Usually I do not connect my iPad 2 as, if my memory service me correct, that is not required after the initial SHSH download.

Am am not "jailbroken" and have no plans to go down that path.

Back to the question. When every Apple release a new version of software I download and install it on my iPad 2. I then download the latest TinyUmbrella and run the program, and this is where the inquiry lays.

The first thing that is displayed, and most prominetely is "Cannot Start TTS Service. DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE. Tiny Umbrella MUST be run as an Administrator".

I am the Administrator as I am the only one using the computer and to activate the TU program, I right click and always choose "Run as an Administrator".

I then click the save SHSH, or what ever it says only to be presented with another warning, " TinyUmbrella's TSS is NOT running"

As far as I know, the SHSH is saved as another line in the SHSH saved box is displayed with the number of the latest update.

So what do these warnings mean and how then can I restore if in fact these warnings are to be headed? :confused:

Regards

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I use TinyUmbrella to back up my SHSH Blobs and use the method as laid down in the sticky tutorial.

Usually I do not connect my iPad 2 as, if my memory service me correct, that is not required after the initial SHSH download.

Am am not "jailbroken" and have no plans to go down that path.

Back to the question. When every Apple release a new version of software I download and install it on my iPad 2. I then download the latest TinyUmbrella and run the program, and this is where the inquiry lays.

The first thing that is displayed, and most prominetely is "Cannot Start TTS Service. DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE. Tiny Umbrella MUST be run as an Administrator".

I am the Administrator as I am the only one using the computer and to activate the TU program, I right click and always choose "Run as an Administrator".

I then click the save SHSH, or what ever it says only to be presented with another warning, " TinyUmbrella's TSS is NOT running"

As far as I know, the SHSH is saved as another line in the SHSH saved box is displayed with the number of the latest update.

So what do these warnings mean and how then can I restore if in fact these warnings are to be headed? :confused:

Regards

I can't answer the "Run as Administrator" question - because I don't quite understand how Windows works with that. I just do as you do - I run as the administrator, just to be safe... :)

The second notice is just to tell you that Tiny Umbrella is not acting as the Apple server. See, to use the blobs, you have to spoof the coding so that iTunes thinks its talking to Apple (to get authorization to install an iOS). All the notice is telling you is that the action is not running.

All this to say: you're fine and to keep doing what you're doing. It's all good.

But, just so you know - you don't need to save SHSH blobs in order to be able to restore your iPad to the latest iOS signed by Apple. You just need to connect to iTunes and press the "Restore" button. Saving the blobs was for when we were able to elect to install a different iOS (usually lower) than the most current. Though we still save blobs just incase, downgrading is now only possible if you have an iPad2 with SHSH blobs for both iOS 4.x and iOS 5.x.

Marilyn

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

O.K. I will just keep saving for the sake of saving then :D

The first error message, "Cannot Start TTS Service. DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE. Tiny Umbrella MUST be run as an Administrator", ignoring the Administrator bit, does that mean anything? The reason I ask this is just in the event that an update does not play nicely with my iPad 2, I would like to be able to go back to the previous iOS until the problem is identified but who ever, and then I can again download the latest.

Is this line of thinking reasonable or am I seen monsters under the bed?

Regards

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

O.K. I will just keep saving for the sake of saving then :D

The first error message, "Cannot Start TTS Service. DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE. Tiny Umbrella MUST be run as an Administrator", ignoring the Administrator bit, does that mean anything? The reason I ask this is just in the event that an update does not play nicely with my iPad 2, I would like to be able to go back to the previous iOS until the problem is identified but who ever, and then I can again download the latest.

Is this line of thinking reasonable or am I seen monsters under the bed?

Regards

I don't know what would happen if you ignored the administrator bit. I always assume a program developer knows better than I on how a program needs to be launched. And, yes, I know what assume means... :D

The thing is - you cannot "go back to the previous iOS" as it stands today. Unless you have saved blobs for iOS 4 and 5 - you can't go back to any version of iOS (and those saved blobs will only get your iPad back to iOS 5.x ... not anything on iOS 6).

Saving blobs is not a failsafe if you don't like the next version of iOS. Generally speaking, once you upgrade - you are there for the duration. And, blobs don't work as they used to, before Apple made the APTicket changes for iOS 5. We really just save them as a hope for future use. So, don't save them to be able to downgrade if you don't like the new iOS. They no longer work that way.

Just so's you know.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts