What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three Years Ago I Bought An iPad!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This iPad has been with me every where. I have used it every day in the past three years. I bought a 64gig, wifi plus cellular unit. I bought it two days before I went on vacation to Beaver Island, Michigan. I used this iPad to help me navigate from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Beaver Island. I had cellular service, so along my journey I was able to send email to my friends already on Beaver Island giving them my progress report. They thought I was crazy running a laptop to send email while in the car. I did not tell them I was doing it with an iPad.

My iPad still functions almost as good as it did three years ago. It is a little worse for wear and because of its small RAM, I no longer run intense graphic rich apps. I use it to retrieve email throughout the day. I use it to access my bank accounts and as a reminder to pay bills. I use it to pay bills. It gives alerts on financial markets specific to companies I have invested.

I regularly clear out apps from my app shelf. I also clear alerts, clear out Safari sites I have visited, and at least once a month, I run the battery down to where it stops itself and I have to plug it in.

Yesterday, I was not thinking and left this iPad at work. When I got home, I reached into my messenger to pull it out and discovered my error. I actually got back in my car, drove back to work, and retrieved it. I apologized to it!!!! Crazy, right?

Here is a picture of my iPad. I am using an iPad3. I bought this new iPad to replace my original iPad but that hasn't happened yet. In the picture are two accessories I use a lot: the Zagg/mate blue tooth keyboard, I bought it about three months after i bought the iPad. And there is a stylus. You cannot see it but it is there--a Zagg InviShield. I put this shield on it about two weeks after I bought the iPad. A month ago, Zagg emailed me a note offering to replace this shield for free but I had to pay US$4.00 postage. It is still protecting my iPad, so I haven't taken them up on their offer.

Attachments

• image-3249375619.jpg
    image-3249375619.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This iPad has been with me every where. I have used it every day in the past three years. I bought a 64gig, wifi plus cellular unit. I bought it two days before I went on vacation to Beaver Island, Michigan. I used this iPad to help me navigate from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Beaver Island. I had cellular service, so along my journey I was able to send email to my friends already on Beaver Island giving them my progress report. They thought I was crazy running a laptop to send email while in the car. I did not tell them I was doing it with an iPad.

My iPad still functions almost as good as it did three years ago. It is a little worse for wear and because of its small RAM, I no longer run intense graphic rich apps. I use it to retrieve email throughout the day. I use it to access my bank accounts and as a reminder to pay bills. I use it to pay bills. It gives alerts on financial markets specific to companies I have invested.

I regularly clear out apps from my app shelf. I also clear alerts, clear out Safari sites I have visited, and at least once a month, I run the battery down to where it stops itself and I have to plug it in.

Yesterday, I was not thinking and left this iPad at work. When I got home, I reached into my messenger to pull it out and discovered my error. I actually got back in my car, drove back to work, and retrieved it. I apologized to it!!!! Crazy, right?

Here is a picture of my iPad. I am using an iPad3. I bought this new iPad to replace my original iPad but that hasn't happened yet. In the picture are two accessories I use a lot: the Zagg/mate blue tooth keyboard, I bought it about three months after i bought the iPad. And there is a stylus. You cannot see it but it is there--a Zagg InviShield. I put this shield on it about two weeks after I bought the iPad. A month ago, Zagg emailed me a note offering to replace this shield for free but I had to pay US$4.00 postage. It is still protecting my iPad, so I haven't taken them up on their offer.

Crazy? No, that is not right. Quite the opposite, and a good read, thank you!
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
As for the Zagg, love them. Take them up on it and get a $30 shield as a backup for $4. I have 1 sitting and waiting, and I gave the other to my parents when they got an iPad. Because of Zagg, when I sold my iPad 1 (64G, 3G) I asked $450 for it but got $500 because the screen was mint condition. I put a Zagg on the screen before leaving the mall (there was a Zagg outlet store in the same place as the apple store, and they put it on for me, no bubbles). I used the hell out of my iPad 1. It was my first real step into the apple world. An iPod Photo didn't count. I have the iPad 3, and use my iPhone for tethering, so I didn't need the 3G anymore. I could not imagine not having my iPad within easy reach. It is my go-to for nearly everything. My last trip, I took my iPad and iPhone and nothing else. Was so nice not to have to lug a laptop and it's accessories. The camera on the iPhone is good enough for most of what I want to capture and the ability to share the photos to the iPad (I use a wireless HDD to store the photos and then retrieve them on the iPad for editing.) The workflow for my trips has changed so much since the iPad/iPhone combo. The gadget bag is so light.

When I go to buy my next iPad, I will be getting the 3G model for no other reason than the GPS chip-set that comes with it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know Matt...apologizing to your iPad might be a tiny, tiny, tiny bit over the top.

:)

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 1 moved to a daughter and from there to a granddaughter. My two went to a son and the three will go to another son. I have never apologized to my iPad but I did buy it a pocketbook with a pocket that fits it to keep it safe. You certainly get lots of use out of your iPad.
Bobbi

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Inspiring opinion re battery life , only into my second year of ownership , hope mine does as well ...so far so very good.:)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my first iPad on debut day for the 3G model, more than three years ago. I was planning to get one, but figured I'd wait till the hubbub died down. Turned out we were out to a late dinner on the 3G model's debut day and my husband jogged my memory. I called the nearest Apple store for the heck of it, and asked whether they had any in stock. They were down to their last few, 64GB models, and the store was open till midnight at Caesar's Palace in Vegas, where we happened to be. We strolled in and were in and out with my iPad, no crowds, nothing.

I used that iPad every day like crazy, then had to go overseas on assignment, where they hadn't started selling iPads yet. I bought a second iPad before I got on the plane, just in case, because I knew I'd go into withdrawal if I broke my iPad and had to go without one for weeks or months. I ended up giving away my spare iPad to a family with a college-age kid who has now ended up moving from that country to my city for college, by coincidence. It's like the iPad had a homing beacon, lol.

The kid and the iPad (the one that was my spare) are now living it up in Europe for the summer. My original iPad now lives with a family of several kids, who use it even more than I did. It was fun to see their excitement and disbelief when I gave them the iPad. It also made me appreciate my newer iPads more.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So maybe you have to pay a little more for an Apple product, but the quality you get and life you get out of them is a lot more than other devices. I have no doubt, that your iPad will still be working fine a 3 more years. It might not function on all the games, but for what it was designed for, I'm sure it will still be working fine.

jpatienza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still love my Original iPad. It could still compete against newer Android tablets even though it only have 256MB RAM. Classic rocks!

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my original iPad from a friend of my daughter Oct 27th . The friend had up graded to the 3 when it became available but kept her original iPad so months I offered to buy it. They were selling for 200-250 on ebay and amazon( selling not just asking $)I did very well with a keyboard dock included. I was about to switch to an iMac in a few weeks( the new models were coming out in November) and felt it was a good introduction the apple technology as i was moving away from the PC world. Very easy to adapt. I got an iPad touch 5 as a b-day present to myself. I am glad I found this forum- so little info pertaining to first gen iPads. tons of reading material on the tables but they only remind me of what the first gen can't do compared to the 2-4 generation models. I have a nook color and found reading and apps are easier to use on the iPad . I don't think I will go with a mini- 9.7" better on these baby boomer eyes
I admit i scoffed Apple proponents believing PC products were as good and less$. Not when I was shopping for an all in one computer. Samsung or Sony were my pc's of choice and more $ for the same features- best of all, no virus issues

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 3 yr old iPad1 is still ticking.. It does everything I need it to do, so I haven't upgraded..

Just the other day I was thinking how well the batteries have lasted. I doubt they'll give me the 7+ hours they once did, but I can have it on for four or five hours and still have around 20% left..

africansnowqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, can you edit photos on the iPad ? If so pls tell me how.

My 3 yr old iPad1 is still ticking.. It does everything I need it to do, so I haven't upgraded..

Just the other day I was thinking how well the batteries have lasted. I doubt they'll give me the 7+ hours they once did, but I can have it on for four or five hours and still have around 20% left..

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This iPad has been with me every where. I have used it every day in the past three years. I bought a 64gig, wifi plus cellular unit. I bought it two days before I went on vacation to Beaver Island, Michigan..............

Hi Matt- thanks for the story about your iPad - I've owned mine for nearly 3 years come this spring, and have also used the device almost daily (usually along w/ my laptop); own a BT Apple KB and the combo is now our 'on the road' computer - just have the Wi-Fi model but we stay @ places that offer that option, plus most of my local trips involve places that I know well enough not to need GPS.

BUT, what really piqued my interest is the statement in bold above, i.e. your vacation description. For those who might be curious, Beaver Island is located in upper Lake Michigan (see map below); the island is just about 13 miles long & 6 miles wide (although the latter varies). I was born in Toledo, Ohio and lived there for 12 yrs before moving to southern Michigan. My paternal grandmother was born on Beaver Island in the late 1880s - at the time, the community was mainly one of Irish immigrants either directly from Ireland or elsewhere from Canada/USA or Irish descendants - she grew up speaking Gaelic (and use to swear @ us when we were small and she took care of us in Toledo). I've visited the island twice in my teens, taking the ferry from Charlevoix (the lake there is gorgeous as I recall). One of my cousins just vacationed on Beaver Island and is doing a 'family tree' - she met a number of distant 'relatives' - kind of cool!

Another interesting story of the island occurred before the Irish immigrants took over - there was a Mormon community, a side branch of the one taken to Utah by Brigham Young - this smaller group was brought to Beaver Island in the late 1840s; the leader was James Strang, who eventually claim the title of 'King of Beaver Island' (if interested, there is a book of this story shown below, which I read years ago). As you can imagined, this egomania did not go over well w/ his followers and he was assassinated in 1856 (story HERE) - Dave

Beaver+Island+Map+2.jpg 8b4f810ae7a00007a1439110.L.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts