What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

three uk sim not data sim

crazyduckling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i recently tried the three sim in my mifi and immediatly got a message from the browser that it can not be used in anything other than my phone has anyone had this message before

Also will the sim work in a ipad 2 with 3g????

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

3 have different types of sim cards depending on what they are designed for.

There is a normal sim which is for use in a phone device and allows calls, texts etc

Then there is a data sim which is for use in modems, mifi's and tablets that allows data access but nothing else.

Each sim can only be used in the relevant product group and if swapped e.g. Phone sim into modem then it is blocked until placed back into the correct unit.

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that 3 do a specific sim card for the iPad 2 either as a pay as you go option or a 1 month rolling contract.

OP
C

crazyduckling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahhh great thaks so i can not use my three sim from my phone that i have ulimited internet 15 a moth payg with the ipad 3g is this correct???? i really need to make sure if this can not be used? then its not really wort the 3g that an ipad as unless you want to pay expensive data plans

so agin no payg sim in a ipad 2?

dellboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi crazyduckling, I have an iPad2 only 7 days old, but do not know how to fit the 'sim'. As you seem have been able to fit your sim can you please tell me how it is done?.Thanks

OP
C

crazyduckling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi crazyduckling, I have an iPad2 only 7 days old, but do not know how to fit the 'sim'. As you seem have been able to fit your sim can you please tell me how it is done?.Thanks

hi dellboy please read my post again i used the sim in a mifi unit ot the ipad 2 3g as you have pointed out it will not fit in the ipad 2 unless your prepeared to do some cutting

to your sim which i do not recommend as i dont think the sim will work as all you will get is a message stating to return the sim back to the phone that what i was trying to find out if its worth the risk of cutting your sim only to find out that its not working

again can anyone cofirm if a sim card from three not a data card will work in a ipad 2

thanks

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's right you can't use the £15 paygo sim with all you can data in a mbb product. The Internet usage of those sims is designed only for use with the phone, tethering or swapping of the sim is not allowed.

umbradomini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With regards to paygo for an iPad you can get the iPad paygo package which is £10 for 1gb or £15 for 3gb monthly valid for 30 days.

Just go into a 3store and you can pick up the iPad paygo sim.

dellboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooops sorry crazyduckling my mistake.Getting old and past it.

Most reactions

Latest posts