What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No SIM Card Installed Message

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updating to iOS 8, friend with an iPad 2 keeps getting the message No SIM Card Installed. While the iPad has sim card capability it has never had a sim card fitted. Have tried turning Cell Data off in Settings but it is greyed out, have tried turning iPad off/on, have tried rebooting iPad all with no change/success. Appearance of message seems completely random and occurs multiple times in a user session. Checked on Apple's forums and here and have found some old threads, but no fixes. Does anybody else still have this problem or a fix?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For my air 2, it stopped once I had used a sim (still installed) for a month test to see what the cellular performance was like - costing £10. In the UK we can get a small amount of data allowance of 50 MB for £1; perhaps you have something similar.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This may be a bit late, but you don't even need a 'live' sim. I had the message on my old iPad 2, and installed an old defunct Tmobile sim. Any old sim will do, as all you're aiming to do is 'un-grey' the option to turn cellular off, which you can't do without a sim installed.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Aerofly, I put my sim card in and turned cell data off, but as soon as I took it out the same fault recurred. My friend will pick up a card and leave it in there so that should solve his problem. Cheers

PearlieMae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The recent update yo iOS 9.2 caused my cellular data plan to turn off. I cannot access my cellular data (AT&T) of course this happened during the holidays and I was too busy to wait on hold. I was trying to access my maps on the road to no avail. Hopefully the Apple Store will fix this Saturday morning?

Most reactions