What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about upgrading 5.1.1 to 6** with ipad 2?

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whats the consensus on IOS 6 for iPad 2? Ive read lots of bad and yet some good too. My main reasons are- faster safari and faster switching between apps. The things that don't concern me are lac of siri, maps. Ive read of wifi problems though too. Not interested in that. My wife's iPhone 3gs connects with IOS 6 just fine so shouldn't my iPad also?

Thoughts and experiences?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad 2 had no problems upgrading to iOS 6.1. It's been running with iOS 6.1 for two days flawlessly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've updated an iPad 2, 2 iPad 3’s, an iPad mini, an iPod touch 4th generation, an iPhone 5, and an iPhone 4S, none of which had any problems upgrading or during use after the upgrade.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After a whole lot more researching beyond this forum i decided to upgrade. Im only into it a few hours so far but it seems its given me everything about IOS 6 that i wanted and nothing i didn't want.

Its possible some of it is just my imagination but not only does safari seem faster but open/closing/switching between apps faster and more fluid like as well. I tried several sites i typically use and safari is definitely faster- in fact it seems faster than the iPad mini on 6.0.*

At first i didn't have enough space free to download. It said it needed 2.5G for the download. I had 1.9G so i deleted unneeded apps until i was at 2.7G. After the download i now have 3.4G available? Cool!

Batterie life seems unchanged. Wifi seems better than on 5.1.1. Before i always had fine connection, bounced between 2-3 signal bars, mostly 3 and once in a while lost connection just to reconnect immediately. So far now its been solid at 3 bars without flinching.

Just for the heck of it, i checked a long standing problem I've had since either a late version of IOS 4 or early version of IOS 5- downloading a bank statement PDF into another app. Hasn't worked for a long time, not on iPad 1, iPad 2 or iPhone 3GS and 4. Now, on IOS 6 it works.

Only oddity i encountered is in the app store. Everything worked except "catagories". Tapping this would bring up some sort of error. I remembered the mini on IOS 6 didn't have the "categories" in the app store. I force closed the app, restarted it and the categories was now gone. Maybe some sort of memory cache or something?

All in all, quite pleased.

Speak Mi Mind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm only a few minuets into the ios6 upgrade and everything seems to be working double time. The only problem I have, is that still we don't have Siri even though its been promised since back 2012. What's the hold up!!!!!

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm only a few minuets into the ios6 upgrade and everything seems to be working double time. The only problem I have, is that still we don't have Siri even though its been promised since back 2012. What's the hold up!!!!!

Siri was never promised for the ipad 2. In fact it was stated from day 1 it wouldnt get it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Who promised that for Siri on an iPad 2?

Most reactions

Latest posts