What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting an iPad....

M

mitasol

As the title suggests I am thinking about getting an iPad. I currently own an Android based tablet, a Motorola Xoom, and whilst I am very happy with it there are some apps that I have seen that are only available for iPad, predominantly newspapers and magazines, so I am starting to consider buying one. I'm tossing up whether to get a 3G/4G version or wifi only - my Xoom is wifi only and I connect to a hotspot that my mobile phone runs (a Samsung Galaxy S) - would this be an option with the iPad? I'm sure I will have other questions so please bear with me :)

Scott

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there, I had an android tablet and whilst it was very good, the apps were rubbish compared to those on offer from iOS.

I now have a wi-fi iPad and use my Galaxy S2 to provide a hotspot when I need one.

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur

OP
M

mitasol

Hi there, I had an android tablet and whilst it was very good, the apps were rubbish compared to those on offer from iOS.

I now have a wi-fi iPad and use my Galaxy S2 to provide a hotspot when I need one.

Thanks, that just answered my question! Time to do some more reading and searching here, then it will be shopping time :)

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think ipad is good investment portable light clean interface i know you have owned a tablet before but the ipad will make you think why did i buy this android tablet

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Another reason for getting a 3G/4G is to have true GPS ability. As the chip is built into the iPad itself there is no need to have a charged iPad sim to use it and the size of the screen is just brilliant for this! Just another thought!

2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html

Enjoy!

OP
M

mitasol

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Another reason for getting a 3G/4G is to have true GPS ability. As the chip is built into the iPad itself there is no need to have a charged iPad sim to use it and the size of the screen is just brilliant for this! Just another thought!

2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html

Enjoy!

I have so many GPS devices it isn't funny, my phone, my car and my Garmin Nuvi 255! So I take it that the non 3/4G doesn't have GPS functionality, or did I read that wrong?

Yes I have discovered those threads and am eagerly digesting the wealth of information in them

thanks

Scott

OP
M

mitasol

i think ipad is good investment portable light clean interface i know you have owned a tablet before but the ipad will make you think why did i buy this android tablet

I had a "play" with my mothers iPad 2 and was impressed with the interface.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mitasol said:
I have so many GPS devices it isn't funny, my phone, my car and my Garmin Nuvi 255! So I take it that the non 3/4G doesn't have GPS functionality, or did I read that wrong?

Yes I have discovered those threads and am eagerly digesting the wealth of information in them

thanks

Scott

That is correct, only 3G and 4G iPads have GPS functionality.......although there are add-ons for the wifi only (such as the Bad Elf) which provide GPS for a wifi only iPad.

The Archangel

OP
M

mitasol

Well I bit the bullet and am now the proud owner of a 64 GB WIFI 3/4G model, I also bought my wife one too, she doesn't know about it yet :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mitasol said:
Well I bit the bullet and am now the proud owner of a 64 GB WIFI 3/4G model, I also bought my wife one too, she doesn't know about it yet :)

Well, no one can accuse you of only doing things half way. Congrats on your purchases. It's great to be able to share apps off the same account.

OP
M

mitasol

Hmm we have set up separate accounts, not that it really matters.

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mitasol said:

enjoy the ipad i know you will

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mitasol said:

That's so good to hear! And aren't you wonderful for buying your wife one...a surprise even!

You're both going to love them!

Most reactions

Latest posts