What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things i love and things i hate about my new ipad3

pahfoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love! Keyboard, display, apps- especially the AP news reader, portability, easy interface, ebooks are AWESOME!!!, camera and video

Hate!! Browsers, pain in the butt contact and favorites import, inability to save email document attachments, no multitasking, useless for work -fun toy but will never replace my laptop, editing text-placing curser mid word, email app, short charging cord

I'm a new apple customer and this was my first apple product so I really wasn't sure how I'd adapt. I got the iPad to replace my old Sony ereader and old kitchen laptop for surfing and messing about. This works great for both. The learning curve was pretty shallow as everything was fairly intuitive. I didn't know about the apple inability to download files so that's got some learning to overcome. Having to go through iTunes is a real pain.

I'm not having any of the overheating problems I'm hearing about and the battery life is Pretty good.

All in all, I'm very happy with my new baby but I'll stick to my windows laptop for anything business related.

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there, glad to hear you are pretty happy with your iPad. I agree, I don't and wouldn't use my iPad for business purposes. However, there are many who do and apple is really trying to market it to businesses now. Have you tried any other web browsers besides safari?

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides the yellow screen on the first one I swapped out, I love everything about my new best friend. No issues whatsoever. And I always keep my IOS devices on a case, so no heat issue and no complaints about weight, WIFI signal or anything. Happy Apple Camper.

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 GB LTE Black :)

iHEARTcartoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iHEARTcartoons.com
Hi Pahfoh :) I've been a lifelong Apple products user, so my learning curve was much smaller. However, like you I wondered if he iPad can replace a laptop for business and in short no.

Though it does get very close. After using the iPad for some time it does get easier to use as a daily "business" machine, because you find workarounds and apps to make it work. I'm with you on the multitasking though, that was the most frustrating part I had to get used to at first, as I'm so used to doing three things at once on my desktop and laptop machines. It does get easier as you get used to using it and ironically I do find myself sometimes tapping my wifes MacBook forgetting its not a touch screen.

I'll be interested to see if you still feel the same way in six months?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is not a laptop replacement. It was never intended to be. It is more of an extension of your computer, but can replace a laptop for certain activities. The statement about hating the camera..what do you hate about the camera? The camera as a feature is very limited in use, but many people find it handy. If people do not like a feature, it is more helpful to determine why, and is there a fix? For example, holding the camera to take pictures is not easy, but a case might make a difference.

OP
P

pahfoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog, I love the camera! It is so easy to use and takes amazing pics.

Regarding the browser, I use the diigo browser. Very much like chrome and much better than safari but still not great. Will just take time, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like my iPads a lot, but there's no chance they will substitute for a computer for my work uses. Everyone's job requirements vary, of course.

Even without substituting, iPad is very useful and fun, I find. I wouldn't recommend one for everyone, but I think the learning curve is easy. You'll probably be offering tips and help to other users in no time.

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a PR company and my laptop had not left the house since I started buying iPads. It has totally replaced my work computer. There are a handful of things I need desktop for but with apps like splashtop even that has become less frequent.

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An IPad is a mobile device and home device no will never have some of the stuff you need for business but it's very easy to bring with you when your going some where witch is great

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a PR company and my laptop had not left the house since I started buying iPads. It has totally replaced my work computer. There are a handful of things I need desktop for but with apps like splashtop even that has become less frequent.

If you're using Splashtop, doesn't that mean you're still using a computer, just in conjunction with iPad?

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ipad replaced my netbook but didn't replaced my Studio XPS.
Use my ipad more than 95% of the time though.

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IGonz said:
The ipad replaced my netbook but didn't replaced my Studio XPS.
Use my ipad more than 95% of the time though.

Hah me to iPad is simpler to use and is just amazing. How every thing is in your hands

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe the OP mentioned not being able to save email attachments but there are several ways to do so. My favorite is the app ReaddleDocs which allows you to open and save email attachments from all your email accounts. You can then put those attachments in folders that you've created in ReaddleDocs and it is a very efficient process of storing excel, word, PowerPoint, PDF, etc all in the same folder and having 1 reader to read them all.

OP
P

pahfoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
I believe the OP mentioned not being able to save email attachments but there are several ways to do so. My favorite is the app ReaddleDocs which allows you to open and save email attachments from all your email accounts. You can then put those attachments in folders that you've created in ReaddleDocs and it is a very efficient process of storing excel, word, PowerPoint, PDF, etc all in the same folder and having 1 reader to read them all.

That is awesome, thanks for the tip!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, various apps allow you to save attachments. Some even let you save them, edit and/or make marks on top of the attachments.

Most reactions

Latest posts