What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theft proof case for shows?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this forum & have searched the site so hope this is not a repeat question....

We intend to use our new iPad at shows where customers can interact with it by selecting slides shows of products to look at...manufacturing photos...etc...sorta like an electronic catalog.

We can protect the screen, get a great easel to set it up on, but how to we keep our new iPad from walking away? short of keeping our eyes or hands on it 24-7.

Is there a case made (yet?) that will lock the iPad into the case and then a tether cable can be attached to the case and it can be locked into our booth?

I don't think we're unique in this use of an iPad....how are others keeping it locked down and safe while giving the public access to it?

Thanks.
CMFox

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could rent a system like they have in electronic stores where every device is tied to a wire and an alarm goes off when the circuit is cut.

Don't they have something similar at Apple Stores?

merriman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should get one made out of thick plexi-glass on top of the black bezel (so no one presses the home button!) and a metal stand which you can bolt on to a table.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
Yeah, like merriman said, should be pretty easy to fabricate something yourself. You could even cut the bezel out of wood. Stained and polyurethaned it would probably look great.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
Oh, I got to thinking. What are you going to use to make interactive presentations? Unfortunately, as we all know, Apple won't let you create your own custom apps and plop them onto the machine. Big brother is alive and well. I guess you could create .pdfs that had graphic hot spots for buttons that linked to other pages. Or maybe Keynote? Haven't tried that one yet.

magnusrf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a nice app called Mailing List that can help you collect emails at trade shows. It plays a custom slide show and when the user taps the screen, it opens up fields for the user to put in their name and email. It works best if a display box could be custom made to cover up the home key. Anyone know of anyone who is making a display box yet? I'm not that handy.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been security systems available for years that are based on tabs that get attached to the device with high tack double sided tape. A cable and is passed around a table leg or something and is locked to the tab on the device. It wouldn't be as elegant as that thin wire at the Apple store but it would be a lot cheaper.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work as a cabinet maker in a jewelry case making factory. What you need is a window that covers the iPad made of tempered plate glass with a hole machined in that's just big enough to touch the screen inside of the bezel. Make sure the iPad is boxed in to prevent moving and twisting and that that glass is no higher up from the iPad than 1/16". The panel holding the iPad can be accessed from the back of the locked cabinet.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just get a woodworker to rout out a sheet of mdf with the bevels rebated and the screen areas left exposed. Then screw the whole lot down.

magnusrf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this custom option I came across recently at labshield.com

It's an iPad kiosk made from stainless steel and features:
  • VESA bolt pattern for countertop or wall mount
  • iPad speakers, mic, wifi, and 3G remain functional
  • Secure iPad buttons to lock-in your app or website
  • Currently available in stainless steel
  • Available Sept. 23rd for $275

It's a little pricey, but it's very professional looking and versatile.

GaryD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad security enclosure

If your iPad is sometimes left alone or is vulnerable to theft, check out the new STAYPad security enclosure for the iPad.

All metal construction, you can bolt or cable the STAYPad to a table.

STAYPAD - Silly name.

The STAYPad can also be used to quickly create an iPad kiosk system.

Made by Doss Industries in Burlingame, California.

LittleLake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found a nice ipad kiosk for trade show

I found a nice secure ipad kiosk case for trade shows. http://www.ipadenclosures.com

I called and the price was about $249 depending on what you needed custom. I am getting my logo etched on the front so I am paying a little bit more. It looks really nice. Has anyone else used this company for their iPad kiosks? iPad Enclosures????

Last edited:
OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a nice secure ipad kiosk case for trade shows. http://www.ipadenclosures.com

I called and the price was about $249 depending on what you needed custom. I am getting my logo etched on the front so I am paying a little bit more. It looks really nice. Has anyone else used this company for their iPad kiosks? iPad Enclosures????

I love the looks of it, but that is really spendy! Thanks for sharing.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't followed this thread for a while so don't know if this product has already been mentioned.
In the most recent (I think it was recorded on 9Dec10) edition of the This Week in iPad podcast, they did a brief and mixed review of a new security device for the iPad. It is a plastic shell that locks around the iPad (didn't see the back so don't know if it covers the whole back or just rings the sides). There is a cable with loop attached to the mock that you are supposed to wrap around something immovable.
The down side pointed out was that if you are at the airport and need to leave your boarding area seat the iPad is small enough to be taken with you while your carry-on is more cumbersome and will be at more risk since you are more likely to leave it than the smaller, lighter, and possibly more valuable iPad. That argument does not speak to the potential for this device from preventing someone from "accidentally" walking off with your iPad. This looks like a deterrent. If the thief is determined I think he would be able to cut the cable without to large of a pair of bolt cutters so I wouldn't want to leave the iPad sitting out overnight.
Sorry I don't remember the name of the device so can't provide a link to it but it should be mentioned in the show notes for the top 5 iPad gifts segment of that show and is in the first half of the show if you want to hear what they had to say.

AmTheft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.AmericanTheftPrevention.com
A few options

Sorry for the self-promotion. I've worked with people protecting iPads and other devices at trade shows and other public events.

I carry a couple of products that might fit your needs. I can't post links since I haven't posted to this forum previously. However, if you go to AmericanTheftPrevention(dot)com or SchoolTheftPrevention(dot)com you can some options by searching for the following:

Core Tablet Theft Prevention Lockdown
locking mechanism with cable. Attractive.

StopLock cable an that locks, marks and tracks valuable equipment.

Check the section called Recoilers and tethers. Some of the devices have self centering attachments as well. This is the kind of thing used in cell phone stores.

Sonic Shock Alarm: Often used for flat screen tv's and projectors, but would probably work on iPads in the environment you are talking about. Works much like a car alarm. If someone takes it, it makes a lot of noise.

Depending on the alarm you select its either 2" x 3.8" x 1.3" thick, or 2" x 5.4" x 1.3" thick.

It's easiest to find these at American Theft Prevention -School Theft Prevention Products - Sonic Shock Anti Theft Alarms

Give me call or email if you need any info. Contact information is the American Theft Prevention Products website.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts