What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new iOS download: good download experience but the new iOS 6 ..... Ho humm??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly can't disagree that if under iOS5 you use and enjoy an application and its disappearance would be felt as a real loss, then don't go on to iOS6. I think I expressed my disappointment in Apple Maps compared to Google maps clearly enough at the head of this thread.

But with SIRI you can't miss something you never had. One could Google 'till blue in the face asking, for example, "where is the nearest hospital?" With Google over a million responses would still not give me a clue. SIRI being tied in with GPS and Apple maps would show me exactly where and how to get there.

But is it only SIRI? There could be other less obvious improvements eg. Safari seems to be running faster.

My reference to a half-empty glass was a bit of a pang of conscience. I wouldn't want to think that my somewhat pessimistic and opinionated thread would cause the poster to decide not to move on to iOS6.

Regards, Andrew

I would be more concerned by not being upfront about probs with iOS 6 and leading someone to an irrevocable upgrade that they hated. Like I said, you can always upgrade, but downgrading is no longer an option. (Apple has now shut that window.)

There's a list of iOS 6 features that Apple put out a while back, specifying what the new features are, so people can get a sense of what they might like. It's only through user feedback since that other users can find out what doesn't work, unless they plunge in on their own.

I think Siri has lots of possibilities, but it's still a beta product. I check every once in awhile. Yesterday, I asked Siri for "BMW dealer (in name of my city)." It gave me 15 nearby places that repair cars, sell tires, replace windshields, etc., but no dealership, even though there are three near me. I tried variations of the request. Got the same list three times. So I googled it and all I did was type BMW d and Google offered me auto-complete, of which the first result was the dealership nearest me, with address, phone and map one click away on my iPhone 4S.

I will leave other users to do free product development for Apple and its half-baked product. When it's ready, I will use it. Meanwhile, I grew bored after three days last year with asking novelty questions that result in Siri telling me where I can bury a body, where I can get a drink, what's the meaning of life, etc.

Last edited:

xmetienne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
arsenal1 said:
I can,t get the auto bright thing to work

Actually when I saw your post I went and try it, same to me... It seems that's an iOS6 issue... I'll try reboot and let you know... Maybe someone more experienced then us might have the trick!

xmetienne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
noel1 said:
For some reason i cant even download ios 6 on my new ipad, keep getting the error message, after reading all the negative comments about it i dont think il bother !

From where are you trying to update it? From the iPad directly or from iTune on your laptop? Because if through iTunes and computer, there are a few issues, but nothing dramatic... It took me a bit of time, e.g.: check the host file not blocking the iOS6 server, disabling the firewall, removing all jailbreak application, proxy settings... Well in a nutshell you better update it directly from the iPad... Good luck...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
arsenal1 said:
I can,t get the auto bright thing to work

Try a reset of your iPad which is a recommended step after any update to the iPad.
Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. let us know how you go.

Please do not post more than once on your issue as it divides the information given and makes it confusing for members to follow. It is also against our Forum Rules, your other posts have now been deleted.

Most reactions

Latest posts