Today is the day! Yes, iOS 10 is finally rolling out today around the world. It may take a while to reach your location, however, so don’t worry if you don’t see that little icon in your Settings just yet. Many apps have already arrived in the App Store ahead of the rollout of iOS 10.
iOS 10 is billed by Apple as its biggest iOS release ever, complete with the new Messages App Store, which features more expressive and fun ways to message your friends and family, including animations and Stickers, such as the free Super Mario stickers that were announced by Nintendo last week at the iPhone 7 launch.
“iOS 10 is our biggest release ever, with delightful new ways to express yourself in Messages, a native app for Home automation, and beautifully redesigned apps for Music, Maps, and News that are more intuitive and more powerful, making everything you love about your iPhone and iPad even better,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “iOS 10 adds Siri intelligence into QuickType and Photos, automates your home with the new Home app and opens up Siri, Maps, Phone and Messages to developers—while increasing security and privacy with powerful technologies like Differential Privacy.”
Here are some other new features of iOS 10:
- Siri intelligence brings new QuickType features, including contextual predictions to surface relevant information based on location, calendar availability or contacts; and predictive typing supports multiple languages without switching keyboards.
- Phone adds integration for third-party VoIP calls, voicemail transcription and a new caller ID extension for spam alerts.
- Built-in app updates include Safari split-view for iPad, Notes collaboration and Live Photos editing.
- Apple Pay can now be used to make easy, secure and private purchases on participating websites using Safari, in addition to paying in-stores and within apps.
- Bedtime Alarm in the Clock app lets you set a regular sleep schedule and receive bedtime reminders.