What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new iOS download: good download experience but the new iOS 6 ..... Ho humm??

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jojo Diamse said:
I updated my ipad 2 & 3 with the new ios 6 and i recognized that there is something wrong with the headphone jack's input. Both of my ipad 2 & 3 got the same problem when i updated them to IOS 6.and i only got the right ear working but when i play with the tip of the jack and pull it a little bit then that's the time both left & right earpiece works...are you experiencing the same problem?

If you have two sets of head phones and there both the same as described you may have a problem, but if your saying you use the same head set in both iPads and you have to jiggle the cord to get left and right side to work its not you iPad it's your head phones

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I updated to 6 I thought we were going to get some impressive updates but it just not the case, I switched back to 5.1 so I could compare and decided to stick with 5.1 until Apple get the bugs out or at least get there map app running more impressively. Or ill upgrade when google map has an app. For now I'm happy with 5.1

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
It's funny to me, how several others impressions of Siri and iOS 6 in general are all negative.
Your displeasure pleases me. And I'll tell you why here & now.
Some people are selfish and greedy, and never happy, no matter what they have, there is always a complaint or problem.
I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here in particular, but look in thee mirror for assurance that it's not you.

Firstly, if Siri is still in beta testing, we should actually be very grateful that Apple allows us all, mostly, to appreciate it. Even in it's infancy to us.

I have the same Siri voice connected-turned on within my Garmin nuvi GPS unit. Oh sure, there are several other voices to choose from.
But I find Siri the most appealing to my listening ears. So I've already got turn by turn navigation.

And furthermore there are updates coming very soon. The intelligent techies are likely working around the new iPad clock to get the fixes out to us very soon.
I'd be surprised if it took longer than a week or two at most. If not, I'm still a very happy camper.

Most of this post was written by Siri... rare but more than a few errors were typed.
This tells me that we must speak clearly, diligently enunciate the words in a correct way of speaking, don't lisp, slur, mumble or befuddle the Lady...

I won't go into the other two hundred or more updates we got, but there is still plenty to look forward too, within a short period of time.

Life is too short to spend your valuable time, looking for fault lines and inclusions in your diamonds... they still cut glass.

Chas

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
It's funny to me, how several others impressions of Siri and iOS 6 in general are all negative.
Your displeasure pleases me. And I'll tell you why here & now.
Some people are selfish and greedy, and never happy, no matter what they have, there is always a complaint or problem.
I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here in particular, but look in thee mirror for assurance that it's not you.

Firstly, if Siri is still in beta testing, we should actually be very grateful that Apple allows us all, mostly, to appreciate it. Even in it's infancy to us.

I have the same Siri voice connected-turned on within my Garmin nuvi GPS unit. Oh sure, there are several other voices to choose from.
But I find Siri the most appealing to my listening ears. So I've already got turn by turn navigation.

And furthermore there are updates coming very soon. The intelligent techies are likely working around the new iPad clock to get the fixes out to us very soon.
I'd be surprised if it took longer than a week or two at most. If not, I'm still a very happy camper.

Most of this post was written by Siri... rare but more than a few errors were typed.
This tells me that we must speak clearly, diligently enunciate the words in a correct way of speaking, don't lisp, slur, mumble or befuddle the Lady...

I won't go into the other two hundred or more updates we got, but there is still plenty to look forward too, within a short period of time.

Life is too short to spend your valuable time, looking for fault lines and inclusions in your diamonds... they still cut glass.

Chas

Lol. Yes, when I pay for a device or service that I want to use, I'm entirely greedy and selfish. Apple isn't a nonprofit. If it wants to develop a feature, it shouldn't do it at users' expense.

When I want to donate to a nonprofit, I do. I don't mix up the two, lol.

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It's not matter of glass half empty: If iOS 5.1.1 works well for me, I'm not going to switch to something that takes away what works well, in trade for other stuff I don't particularly care for. That's just common sense. Of course, each user decides for himself which features are most valuable.

The fact that the upgrade is free is irrelevant. The fact that once you upgrade you can't downgrade (beyond a narrow window that Apple probably will slam shut quickly) is why some users would hesitate, given the widespread criticism of Apple mapping.

Personally, I also find Siri a worthless feature at this point. Apple might develop it into something useful eventually, but even they admit it's a beta product now. I played with it for about three days when I got my iPhone 4S. The novelty quickly wore off.

There are plenty of things that iPad and iPhone do well. iOS 6 maps and Siri don't happen to be among those right now. To me, that's a realistic look at what works vs. what doesn't.

Being optimistic or not has nothing to do with the features as they exist now. You can be as optimistic as you like, but that doesn't change the functionality of iOS 5.1.1 or 6 as they stand now.

All that each user has to do is decide which features are most valuable to him now.

And the opportunity to upgrade will remain. The chance to downgrade won't.

I certainly can't disagree that if under iOS5 you use and enjoy an application and its disappearance would be felt as a real loss, then don't go on to iOS6. I think I expressed my disappointment in Apple Maps compared to Google maps clearly enough at the head of this thread.

But with SIRI you can't miss something you never had. One could Google 'till blue in the face asking, for example, "where is the nearest hospital?" With Google over a million responses would still not give me a clue. SIRI being tied in with GPS and Apple maps would show me exactly where and how to get there.

But is it only SIRI? There could be other less obvious improvements eg. Safari seems to be running faster.

My reference to a half-empty glass was a bit of a pang of conscience. I wouldn't want to think that my somewhat pessimistic and opinionated thread would cause the poster to decide not to move on to iOS6.

Regards, Andrew

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
noel1 said:
Don't get me wrong OB I love my iPad to bits, it just frustrates the hell out of me regarding wifi connection, it stays connected for about 10 mins then loses connection, the only way to get it back is to slide it into airplane mode then back, believe me I've tried everything ! The thing is I use an iPhone 4 a 4s and an iPad 2 on the same wifi connection and don't have any trouble regarding wifi connection at all, any pointers would be gratefully recieved

No worries Noel! I am myself still in a high state of Noobishness up on the learning curve, learning more and more and liking my iPad more and more.

From what I have read, the following steps have been known to help (and If you have already tried these, I've run out of puff but someone else may chip in to advise further)

(A). .. Open "Settings" and tap on "General" then "Network", and then "WiFi"
.. Tap the blue arrow next to the Wireless Router you are connected to.
.. Then tap "Forget this Network"
.. Go back to WiFi and re-enter the details your ISP needs to join the Network.

(B). If that does not work -----
.. Tap Settings, then General then "Reset Network Settings"
.. Reboot the iPad and re-enter the details your ISP Needs to fix you up onto the Network

(C). Another oldie but a goody is turn off your iPad then disconnect the power cord from the Router for 30 secs. And then turn your iPad back on.

Hope you get this problem fixed and you can settle back in to enjoy your iPad.
Regards, Andrew

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
No worries Noel! I am myself still in a high state of Noobishness up on the learning curve, learning more and more and liking my iPad more and more.

From what I have read, the following steps have been known to help (and If you have already tried these, I've run out of puff but someone else may chip in to advise further)

(A). .. Open "Settings" and tap on "General" then "Network", and then "WiFi"
.. Tap the blue arrow next to the Wireless Router you are connected to.
.. Then tap "Forget this Network"
.. Go back to WiFi and re-enter the details your ISP needs to join the Network.

(B). If that does not work -----
.. Tap Settings, then General then "Reset Network Settings"
.. Reboot the iPad and re-enter the details your ISP Needs to fix you up onto the Network

(C). Another oldie but a goody is turn off your iPad then disconnect the power cord from the Router for 30 secs. And then turn your iPad back on.

Hope you get this problem fixed and you can settle back in to enjoy your iPad.
Regards, Andrew

For someone who is a 'newbie' this is very good advice. You learn very well! Thank you.

jeffjo36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone notice the lock screen icon that you slide to unlock the screen is a bit sluggish when you first power on ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the update. There are some really needed improvements and do not miss maps. In fact, I had no idea maps was such a killer app. Even the dumb version written by apple. Amazing.

Siri works much better. You need a good Internet connection for it to be at its best. I have 300 or so apps and many are buried in folders. Sometimes I need one I don't open much. I just ask Siri to do it. Or ask here what time a certain movie is playing and she gives me a nice list based on the theaters near my location. It seem to recognize my words much better and you can get to here directly from the lock screen. I think I will be making more use of Siri in the future.

The new update apps feature is a single reason to do the update. That is saving killer time as I use a complicated password. Obviously, this feature should have been there a long time ago, but I cannot see ignoring this update and missing out on this feature. I guess if you don't use the device much than not doing the update doesn't have much impact.

There are several other features I like too.

Well, to each his or her own.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jeffjo36 said:
Has anyone notice the lock screen icon that you slide to unlock the screen is a bit sluggish when you first power on ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I power on rarely. I see no need to power my iPad down and I like having it at the ready, which is true of all my mobile devices.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kippyw said:
Siri is a waste of time. How many times do I have to repeat repeat repeat something before Siri gets it? Stupid when I can type something once and it's done. Maybe as a gimmick it's OK fun.

That's odd. I am finding Siri to be a huge timesaver for me. I use it for calendar, reminders, texts, looking information up and love it. Not once has she misunderstood a request I have made.

Most reactions

Latest posts