What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Limera1n Thread - Please keep all Limera1n news and problems here!

weakstorm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I was on the same boat with all these unsuccessful people, who couldn't succeed the JB operation with limera1n. Then I managed with the following process (My Setup is windows 7 x64, iTunes 10, limera1n Beta-4, 3.2.2. iPad fw, iPad 64 Gb, Wi-Fi & 3G w/3.2.2):
1. Made a restore with iTunes and 3.2.2. fw (factory reset)
2. After reactivation left iTunes open and opened Limera1n.
3. Did onscreen commands. Voila raindrop showed up on the screen.
4. Rebooted iPad and installed Cydia. (The rest is usual stuff)

Hope it works for you also...

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I been reading a lot of threads and I have tried myself numerous times on jailbreaking. I seem to notice that the iPads with preloaded 3.2.2 firmware seem to work while the ones with 3.2.1 or 3.2 originally installed do not. I don't know why this is the case, but that seems to be trend. It has nothing to do with MB or MC model.

EDIT please don't do that

Mine was a 3.2.1 upgraded via iTunes to 3.2.2. It is a 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G and I followed the instructions and I have JB on the first attempt.

clark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have successfully Jailbroke my last iPad. The one thing I did not do was reinstall Itunes. I updated existing loads and reinstalled others but no fresh load.

So I created a new partition on my XP Machine and dual booted Win7. I wanted a new OS with a brand new Itunes load. I installed Itunes 10.1 and associated it with the iPad. I ran limera1n in admin with Itunes running. Itunes did not prompt for Recovery this time and I was able to Jailbreak.

I am not sure what fixed it the only new thing I did was run from a completely fresh Itunes and OS. Why I had no problems with my 3 other iPads and only this one I have no idea. I bought this iPad just last week but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

If anything good came out of this it was discovering this forum.

YOU ARE A GOD!!! I tried your method and finally was able to successfully jailbreak after 9872 tries. I was trying on my windows 7 64bit pc and getting all the problems. I thought I tried everything until i read this. I thought I would give it a try and low and behold it worked! The pc I got it to work on was a 32bit windows 7 install with no prior itunes installed. It was a fresh pc! I heard the 32bit/64bit difference has no meaning, but for all those people who still cant jailbreak and are getting stuck on the "usb plug to itunes" screen I would give this a shot! Just use a fresh computer that has no prior itunes data on it. I hope this helps someone!!

handyjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd. I tried a fresh install of XP with a fresh iTunes. Didn't work (probably 20-30 attempts.) So I tried a fresh install of Windows 7 with iTunes. Same thing.

Hmmm....

shinjisuc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i made it!

hey guys let me give you my xperience... didnt working for 10 min before...
here its why i did with with this limera1n: cant post link but is the kingdong guide, page 4 of Jailbroken 3.2.2? Post your details here for those of us who cant!. thread
i follow these instructions and the only thing i havent read was ...
-open limera1n
-connect ipad
- wait for itunes comes up, and wait ITUNES FINISH SYNC!! then close it
-now clic on make it rain
-follow instructions and count 10 sec each instruction exactly... forget if itunes comes up again and just count your time and realease buttons.
and thats it!!! worked al saturday and sunday trying and now working!!!

ipad wifi 64gb!

Last edited:

dinedal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my success story:

Between each attempt I did a full restore from a clean backup. My iPad was purchased with 3.2.2 already on it 3 weeks ago. It has never been jailbroken before. All attempts with BETA 4 unless otherwise noted.

iPad 3.2.2, tried limera1n on Vista x64, UAC off, fully updated iTunes.
Attempt 1 - Failure, tried with BETA 2, didn't count timings on button presses
Attempt 2 - Failure, didn't count timings on button presses
Attempt 3 - Failure, after a clean reboot
Attempt 4 - Failure, watched 2 videos and counted off button presses with 10 seconds each combination (10 for home+power, 10 for home)
Attempt 5 - Failure, tried with iTuneshelper.exe closed, counted off button presses.
Attempt 6 - Failure, tried with a different USB port, same computer, counted off button presses. iTuneshelper.exe was running again.

Luckily, I had just reformatted my girl's laptop with WinXP 32bit. Clean install of iTunes 10 most recent version.
Attempt 7 - Success! Counted off button presses, limera1n drop appeared and I had white icons for it. I rebooted the iPad as advised on limera1n's webpage (held power button and slide red slider) and the white icon remained. Installed Cydia anyway, rebooted again, and white icon was fixed.

My advice to those still having problems:
1. Count off button presses, 10 seconds for home+power, 10 seconds for home alone.
2. Try a 32bit operating system if you are still not getting it, preferably with a clean install of iTunes.

I really think the problem is that geohot didn't test this very well with 64 bit OS's, combined with user error on the timings of the button presses, as well as very minor differences in iTunes settings or versionings. Don't give up, as after attempt 4 I was pretty certain that my iPad was unjailbreakable but I kept at it and succeeded.

I was pretty scientific with the button count offs, so I don't think that it was ever going to work on my Vista 64 installation. My theory is that it was the 32bit OS that let this work, but it could be the clean iTunes install on it as well.

F

frajeff91

Think I'm onto something though. When I plug my iPad into my computer, it AUTOMATICALLY turns on. And iTunes AUTOMATICALLY starts up, even though I've set iTunes to not start up when I plug the pad in. It pops up with constant annoying pop ups about detecting an iPad in recovery mode, even if I've already closed iTunes. I think that the fact that, if the iPad is plugged into a computer, it automatically turns on, is messing with the jailbreaking process. I've noticed that for the people doing it on youtube videos, you aren't constantly hearing the dings windows makes when a piece of hardware gets disconnected and reconnected, and mine does it CONSTANTLY. Have they changed a setting somewhere?

I'm going to try resetting the ipad to factory settings (after backing up, of course) and then doing it from a fresh clean boot.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my success story:

Between each attempt I did a full restore from a clean backup. My iPad was purchased with 3.2.2 already on it 3 weeks ago. It has never been jailbroken before. All attempts with BETA 4 unless otherwise noted.

iPad 3.2.2, tried limera1n on Vista x64, UAC off, fully updated iTunes.
Attempt 1 - Failure, tried with BETA 2, didn't count timings on button presses
Attempt 2 - Failure, didn't count timings on button presses
Attempt 3 - Failure, after a clean reboot
Attempt 4 - Failure, watched 2 videos and counted off button presses with 10 seconds each combination (10 for home+power, 10 for home)
Attempt 5 - Failure, tried with iTuneshelper.exe closed, counted off button presses.
Attempt 6 - Failure, tried with a different USB port, same computer, counted off button presses. iTuneshelper.exe was running again.

Luckily, I had just reformatted my girl's laptop with WinXP 32bit. Clean install of iTunes 10 most recent version.
Attempt 7 - Success! Counted off button presses, limera1n drop appeared and I had white icons for it. I rebooted the iPad as advised on limera1n's webpage (held power button and slide red slider) and the white icon remained. Installed Cydia anyway, rebooted again, and white icon was fixed.

My advice to those still having problems:
1. Count off button presses, 10 seconds for home+power, 10 seconds for home alone.
2. Try a 32bit operating system if you are still not getting it, preferably with a clean install of iTunes.

I really think the problem is that geohot didn't test this very well with 64 bit OS's, combined with user error on the timings of the button presses, as well as very minor differences in iTunes settings or versionings. Don't give up, as after attempt 4 I was pretty certain that my iPad was unjailbreakable but I kept at it and succeeded.

I was pretty scientific with the button count offs, so I don't think that it was ever going to work on my Vista 64 installation. My theory is that it was the 32bit OS that let this work, but it could be the clean iTunes install on it as well.

Worked first time on win 7 64bit fir me...

dinedal

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Worked first time on win 7 64bit fir me...

Then it's probably the iTunes install on my Vista machine.

clark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at: dinedal

i pretty much have the exact same story as you except i tried far more than 7 times. follow his guide people! best of luck to all of you!

sqapg5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think I'm onto something though. When I plug my iPad into my computer, it AUTOMATICALLY turns on. And iTunes AUTOMATICALLY starts up, even though I've set iTunes to not start up when I plug the pad in. It pops up with constant annoying pop ups about detecting an iPad in recovery mode, even if I've already closed iTunes. I think that the fact that, if the iPad is plugged into a computer, it automatically turns on, is messing with the jailbreaking process. I've noticed that for the people doing it on youtube videos, you aren't constantly hearing the dings windows makes when a piece of hardware gets disconnected and reconnected, and mine does it CONSTANTLY. Have they changed a setting somewhere?

I'm going to try resetting the ipad to factory settings (after backing up, of course) and then doing it from a fresh clean boot.

I must say that all ipad videos i watched, has one thing in particular... itunes doesnt pop up.... only hear the ding dang sound but itunes doesnt open.. i am suspecting it could be some settings on ipad or itunes.. or the usb port?? but i am pretty sure i did check the stop idevice from syncing automatically.. if these are all ruled out. then it could be the fact that we couldnt get the phone in DFU mode but a recovery mode which then prompts the itunes to open. but i also followed the post on getting idevices into dfu mode.... i guess here is the difference for most of us.. who can get it working and those who cant get it working.. or is there anyone who has tried doing it while itunes opens and keeps on popping up notices on ipad in recovery mode then all my suspicion would be ruled out...

superonyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I must say that all ipad videos i watched, has one thing in particular... itunes doesnt pop up.... only hear the ding dang sound but itunes doesnt open.. i am suspecting it could be some settings on ipad or itunes.. or the usb port?? but i am pretty sure i did check the stop idevice from syncing automatically.. if these are all ruled out. then it could be the fact that we couldnt get the phone in DFU mode but a recovery mode which then prompts the itunes to open. but i also followed the post on getting idevices into dfu mode.... i guess here is the difference for most of us.. who can get it working and those who cant get it working.. or is there anyone who has tried doing it while itunes opens and keeps on popping up notices on ipad in recovery mode then all my suspicion would be ruled out...

Well i have one of the new ipads that was just bought a week ago with 3.2.2 installed. I followed the instructions exactly several times and i could never get it to work. In fact my itunes would always open and pop up telling me it detected an ipad in recovery mode. 1 time instead of ignoring the pop ups i decided to close them down. This is with one hand still on the home button. It made absolutely no difference at all. This is on a Win7 64bit machine running as admin. I honestly dont see the point in trying again since i could really do anything differently that i think would change the outcome. Maybe i can try on my old laptop that has never had itunes connected......

Question... if we think it may be itunes causing the problem. What if we do this without itunes even being installed on the computer? I cant see how itunes could pop up and interrupt the process (if thats whats happening) if itunes isnt installed on the computer. Or does itunes have to be installed for limera1n to even work?

Another important question for us that seem like it will never work.. Has anyone from the Dev team have any indications of releasing their software for unlocking. Or did they just fade away after this one was released.

Its really annoying to keep trying to do this and getting the same result again and again.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its really annoying to keep trying to do this and getting the same result again and again.
With all due respect, this jailbreak, like all jailbreaks, is offered free of charge with no promises or guarantees. There is no jailbreak corporation to stand behind their product. There is not 1-800-JAILBREAK help desk to help you resolve installation problems. Jailbreaks are always done at your own risk and you take full responsibility for whatever happens to your iPad.

Kenney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I terminated the iTunesHelper.exe process so that iTunes didn't pop-up, no difference, still not working.

What I'm worried about is if Geohot will be alerted of these problems with iPad and if it ever gets solved?

superonyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all due respect, this jailbreak, like all jailbreaks, is offered free of charge with no promises or guarantees. There is no jailbreak corporation to stand behind their product. There is not 1-800-JAILBREAK help desk to help you resolve installation problems. Jailbreaks are always done at your own risk and you take full responsibility for whatever happens to your iPad.

With all due respect back to you, i know its free software that someone has given their time and brainpower to give us for free. I think we all understand that. But this is also a forum and i always though the purpose of a forum was for us to be able to communicate our thoughts and feelings on a particular topic or interest. I was simply expressing my feelings on repeating a process time and time again hoping for a different result. It was in no way an implication of entitlement. It was me expressing my personal feelings toward repeated efforts with the same end results.

I though this thread in particular was a good place to share my experiences like so many have done. We have post from members that have said they have given up and will wait. I did not realize voicing a small level of frustration over my failed efforts would mislead anyone. For that my apologies. I will attempt to censor any feelings here in the future that may not be sunshine and rainbows.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts