What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad is just too heavy! :(

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got one. Open box at Best Buy so thankfully I can return it without the restocking fee.

It is too heavy. I will buy the Kindle 3 now and maybe later buy a new iPad that has shed half its weight.

Will return this next Friday. If anyone can tell me a way to hold this without your wrists falling off I would like to know. Having things under it makes the screen too flat and hard to see.

My hopes are dashed. :confused: Thanks for listening.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ~ perhaps the OP has arthritis or bad wrist bones. I remember when the ipad came out, I was at Best Buy and everyone was playing with them at the table.

Most everyone would comment: " I didn't think it would be so heavy"

I don't see it, personally ~ but if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you. Did you play with one before you bought yours?

There are many ways to prop the ipad up while you cozy up on the couch, such as a case or many accessories.

Sounds like you expected more ~ I am so sorry.:(

NightPrayer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well.. my ipad has defender otterbox casing on it.. and the otterbox defender makes my ipad TWICE the original weight..

still.. it doesn't bother me much.. its quite ok to carry around..

OP
F

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not talking about carrying it around. I am talking about reclining in a chair reading a book, the news or whatever.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why it is heavy? You can read with it ( like a kindle) and do more with it draw, play, sing, type a document, edit a document, watch a movie, edit some photos and more .

How can a kindle be compared to an iPad?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not for every one frankly I find it perfect compared to an iBook which is real light laptop. Some peole want readers only and expect more I guess that is where the 7 inch form comes in.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has a durable alloy backing or whatever....Maybe you should hold out for the Samsung galaxy tab....You could also try working out and building a little muscle..The kindle? He'll you're better off with the current crappy android tablets.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends what you need the iPad for. if it's for reading books then I agree it's too big and heavy. But if I was going to just read books then the Kindle is not exactly my idea of a solution. I loaded Kindle on my iPhone and quite frankly that is ideal for me. I've read more books in the last 6 months than I have in he last 6 years. That's because it's so convenient, you always have it with you.

I've had the iPad for a week and I'm more and more thinking that Apple got it right on the size. if the target market is between the phone and the your laptop then it can't be bigger or smaller. it's way more useful than the netbooks. I can see when the magazine industry understands how to showcase their product better there will be more reasons for the iPad.

If Apple is smart, they should encourage apps that provide better communication with the PC world. I know you Apple diehards don't care about the "Dark side" but that is the growth opportunity. I've been using PC's since I left Apple with the 1st MAC but they have got me back with the iPhone and now the iPad. I don't have a choice in business world but provide suitable functionality in the iPad and it works for me.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are used to reading paperbacks, it is probably to heavy. But I have many books which are much heavier than the iPad.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got one. Open box at Best Buy so thankfully I can return it without the restocking fee.

It is too heavy. I will buy the Kindle 3 now and maybe later buy a new iPad that has shed half its weight.

Will return this next Friday. If anyone can tell me a way to hold this without your wrists falling off I would like to know. Having things under it makes the screen too flat and hard to see.

My hopes are dashed. :confused: Thanks for listening.

It's lighter than any laptop I've ever had.

If you bought it for reading books, perhaps you over-purchased. The Kindle 3 is not the same thing as an iPad. If that would satisfy you more, then you should go with it.

My iPad is a computer, not a book reader. That's just fine with me, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts