What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ipad almost can replace my laptop.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I was just reading the thread about the number of apps some of us have. It made me think of the very nice apps I've downloaded for business use and, how the Ipad almost can replace my laptop.

The only thing it can't do is run my quick-books program but, it can do just about everything else. I'm sure there are more expensive apps out there that may be close to what quickbooks does but, I'll stick with it for now.

As of right now this is just a fun device for me but, in tne future I may use it more for my business. Are there any of you who use the Ipad for your business?

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using my iPad as my primary computer as well. I have the keyboard dock, so I can do typing just as easily on my iPad, so the only thing I need the "big computer" is something that requires more power or isn't on my iPad (like World of Warcraft, LOL).

Seems to be doing well for most other stuff. :)

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If only the iPad had a:

Functional up to date torrent client
Ability to subscribe to podcasts
Ability to natively play MKV and avi files
Ability to import books downloaded to iPad outside of Apple store

Apple needs to get rid of iTunes syncing and move to the cloud like everyone else is. That would solve a lot of their problems and make the iPad a much more independent device. I hope they do.

OP
Q

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
I'm thinking about using my iPad as my primary computer as well. I have the keyboard doc, so I can do typing just as easily on my iPad, so the only thing I need the "big computer" is something that requires more power or isn't on my iPad (like World of Warcraft, LOL).

Seems to be doing well for most other stuff. :)

Yeah, it won't replace my desktop to play high-end games (mostly shooters). I opted for the blue-tooth keyboard instead of the keyboard dock and, I really like it.

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The photo apps are amazing and inexpensive compared to the ones on my desktop. Much easier to use as well. Love my iPad!

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Using mine more and more every day. Just did a VERY successful consulting company launch Friday. It was an integral part of my launch presentation and VERY well received. Just loaded a new free app for remote desktop management and it seems to be working VERY well.

This thing is going to be much more business oriented in its capabilities than many people think.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a power user by any means, but the iPad is rapidly becoming my first port of call whenever I need to do any work or get on the net. Most of my games playing is console based, so that isn't a problem for me.

I'm actually going to buy myself a Bluetooth apple keyboard in the week, and probably the camera dock. After that, I envisage that my laptop will be almost entirely redundant as long as I can find a way to get an externally powered HD to work with the iPad.

I'm curious to see if, long term, the iPad, and the introduction of other tablet devices mean that there is a resurgence in the purchase of desktop computers by home users who no longer require the portability of a laptop when they have tablets.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the iPad and Dock and Bluetooth KB and trying all of it.

Bottom line though is that if I need the KB in any form,an actual Laptop is just better.

Bigger,Better Screen
Real Power
Comfortable Typing
Real Power
Flash support
Real Power
Big Storage
Real Power
Multiple Standard I/O
Etc.

I actually use iPads in my business as parts in systems I install and that they seem designed for.
For me though they are just short of functioning as a laptop replacement-for now.
I am sure it will only get better.

Ed

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if, long term, the iPad, and the introduction of other tablet devices mean that there is a resurgence in the purchase of desktop computers by home users who no longer require the portability of a laptop when they have tablets.

That's exactly what I am doing. I hardly ever use my laptop now. The tasks where I need a "real computer" are rarely an on-the-go kind of thing. I generally go to the desktop for those. I still need a better office suite for the iPad to be everything I need. I can get by with documents to go, but everything feels more like a workaround rather than an intuitive way to get things done.

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the iPad and Dock and Bluetooth KB and trying all of it.

Bottom line though is that if I need the KB in any form,an actual Laptop is just better.

Bigger,Better Screen
Real Power
Comfortable Typing
Real Power
Flash support
Real Power
Big Storage
Real Power
Multiple Standard I/O
Etc.

I actually use iPads in my business as parts in systems I install and that they seem designed for.
For me though they are just short of functioning as a laptop replacement-for now.
I am sure it will only get better.

Ed

All of these, some times I also want to watch a Blu-Ray and Steve says Blu-Ray is a failure :)

aslondon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noob to IPAD, not to apple. Unfortunately at work they are windows centric but allowing me to use my IPAD. Trying to replace my desk/laptop. Really love the IPAD, sure it is a little limited but SO convenient. So far I've been able to get apps for almost everything I do. What has anyone found for Remote desktop into a windows server?

Thanks

Al

OP
Q

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Noob to IPAD, not to apple. Unfortunately at work they are windows centric but allowing me to use my IPAD. Trying to replace my desk/laptop. Really love the IPAD, sure it is a little limited but SO convenient. So far I've been able to get apps for almost everything I do. What has anyone found for Remote desktop into a windows server?

Thanks

Al

There is a app for remote desktop but, it doesn't support the server operating systems. I guess sooner or later someone will make a app that can do that. I'm new to mac, other than playing with them in the stores.

I will probably still use my laptop for business but, I downloaded some apps that I will try out in the future. The time master app is really cool and, I can see myself using that. I have a similar app on my nexus 1 but, it's not as advanced.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like most of the Apps I have, but the data base Apps do nothing but screw with my brain :p. FM Touch being one of them.. They called it FM ? I haven't found any F&(?!/g magic with it yet :confused:

Lukey M Pukey

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's exactly what I am doing. I hardly ever use my laptop now. The tasks where I need a "real computer" are rarely an on-the-go kind of thing. I generally go to the desktop for those. I still need a better office suite for the iPad to be everything I need. I can get by with documents to go, but everything feels more like a workaround rather than an intuitive way to get things done.

I may be wrong, but I do believe Steve said something about flash coming up. Other wise there is cloud browse, this app has flash, but it is initially for iPod or iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts