What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my laptop with my iPad 2 for my business.

Bzzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have some questions regarding what others may be doing for their business. I am a technical trainer and travel quite a bit. I almost always bring my laptop for my classes. Mainly because I sometimes have to demo things. I was thinking of only bringing my iPad....
Here are my business needs for a class:
1) I have to show Power Point slides ( they haven't been converted to KeyNote)
2) I would like to walk around and so I would need some kind of a slide presenter tool like I use for PPT slides on a PC.
3) I sometimes need to "remote" into the lab environment.
4) browse the Internet (of course)
5) what ever else pops up that the students need or I need.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all your time.

Regards,
Brian

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have some questions regarding what others may be doing for their business. I am a technical trainer and travel quite a bit. I almost always bring my laptop for my classes. Mainly because I sometimes have to demo things. I was thinking of only bringing my iPad....
Here are my business needs for a class:
1) I have to show Power Point slides ( they haven't been converted to KeyNote)
2) I would like to walk around and so I would need some kind of a slide presenter tool like I use for PPT slides on a PC.
3) I sometimes need to "remote" into the lab environment.
4) browse the Internet (of course)
5) what ever else pops up that the students need or I need.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all your time.

Regards,
Brian

(1) Keynote can display PowerPoint slides just fine - although it struggles with complex formatting
(2) There is a remote app that allows your iPhone to control the presentation - it's free from Apple
(3) Splashtop is a great remote desktop app - it can be used to remote into your PC from anywhere and there's a free limited viewing time version that you can try at no risk
(4) You can access the Internet via WiFi or 3G
(5) There's an app out there for most anything - lots of educational apps. Let us know the topics you're interested in and we'll suggest some.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mean to be discouraging. As Tim points out there are approaches available for each of the requirements you've mentioned. But as you'll find if you explore this board in depth, the iPad has major limitations as a laptop replacement, depending on what kind of laptop you're talking about. I find the iPad to be a great adjunct to my laptop, but it's no replacement. YMMV, of course. You may find it's more than adequate to meet your needs. But consider...

() Browsing is far more limited. Though there are alternatives to the limited version of Safari that comes with the iPad, all, I believe, are simply extensions of Safari and, at least in my experience, don't equal either the functionality or performance I get from other browsers.

() As Tim notes, Apple has its own presentation software, Keynote, and there are other MS Office "lookalikes" available. But none provide exactly the same capabilities as PowerPoint and can't be guaranteed to translate PowerPoint presentations absolutely faithfully.

() SplashTop will enable you to look into a computer in your lab. But resolution differences may make it less than ideal.

() Your last requirement, "whatever..my students or I need," is pretty broad. I'd suggest asking yourself what kinds of needs have emerged in the past and then look specifically for solutions in the iPad environment.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would absolutely agree with the previous poster and possibly I sounded too optimistic. There are most certainly limitations...have a look at this that contains opinions and reviews from other Members...

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are also some workarounds using other apps. Heavily formatted office documents can be quite a problem but I use Office To PDF app to import these, then GoodReader to redline before sending the resultant PDF file back to the originator for amending.

The good thing is that as time goes on more and more apps appear which make the iPad more of a replacement tool in a number of work situations.........so now I put aside some time once a week to look at the new utility/productivity apps that have been released or updated over the previous seven days. That way, every week my iPad gets closer and closer to to making my work laptop redundant.

The Archangel

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a Ipad and laptop. When it comes to anything that requires typing more then 10 keystrokes then I use the laptop. I find typeing on the Ipad to be a pain in the butt and takes for ever. Also the lack of arrow keys to move the curser around makes editing a pain as well on the Ipad.

This reply was typed on a Ipad, I would have never of typed this on a Ipad.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
soon you will have full access to use your ipad wirelessly to present whatever you are looking at, to be viewed on the big screen also(mirroring), using Airplay thru Apple TV over WiFi, when iOS 5 becomes available this Fall. Lets hope WiFi-Direct enter our lives too.....

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a Ipad and laptop. When it comes to anything that requires typing more then 10 keystrokes then I use the laptop. I find typeing on the Ipad to be a pain in the butt and takes for ever. Also the lack of arrow keys to move the curser around makes editing a pain as well on the Ipad.

This reply was typed on a Ipad, I would have never of typed this on a Ipad.

You probably need a bluetooth keyboard. I do. Plus I hate giving up screen real estate for a virtual keyboard. Should be noted, though, that arrow key support even with a real keyboard is dependent on the app.

OP
Bzzone

Bzzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have ordered Zagg's new iPad Companion which comes with a BT keyboard. Can't wait to get it. I'm typing all of my stuff in this forum on my iPad and doing pretty good. I know my list of needs at the beginning a might have looked like I didn't do any research...but I had. I think I could pull off a class entirely on my iPad....the question is do I want to. I travel with an oversized 17 inch Asus G73H and really need to downsize for my travel laptop. I just don't think the wife will buy off on me purchasing a new laptop after I just purchased the iPad. All in good time I guess. Thank you all for the responses.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
while you're at it, this forum have an app for iPad, iPhone and touch...
and i have access to this forum on my iphone, thru an app called tapatalk(which is a universal app)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts