What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Anything Goes" thread

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
A week is a breeze. I've been getting up at 3:00AM for 27 years. You never get used to it but you do grow to tolerate it. :)
AA

I am NOT a morning person and I would never get used to that!!! I feel your pain.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, yesterday was pretty good. Didn't feel as tired at 11 (when my fieldwork is over). Sadly, when I get home at 11, I need to work on a project and I need to head to campus around 2pm. Class from 4:30 to 7:10. Have to wait for 7:40 bus. I'll get home at 8:30. Dinner and bed by 9-9:30. Gross! I already want today over.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess the UK contributors will be busy on IPF, thanks to today's strike.

I was thinking of Churchill. "Now's the winter of our discontent", and seconds later the TV presenter said.... You've guessed it! :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
UK strike?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Yes it is, by public sector worker, such as teachers and border agency staff.

We hope our niece and her husband haven't intended to arrive at Heathrow today from their holiday in Colombia.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last time we were in London the Underground was on strike. Traffic was a mess. We walked almost everywhere because the busses were moving slower than [insert favorite analogy here]. Luckily the weather was good and we needed the exercise! :)

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The teachers in my state of Wisconsin protested at the capitol starting in February, I believe. Unsure how long they were there. Our newly elected governor stripped some of the union's power, so educators were not happy.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What an interesting day I've had! 75% staff on strike and only a handful left including me. I just did a bit of admin. I'm not on a union. No science teachers at all. Most schools apart from private ones were on strike. The news says that 2 million people were on strike today.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It makes me sad to think we are getting further and further away from a happy and balanced world.
Times are tough what ever happened to being responsible for your self.
Your job is a result of the work,study and effort put in during your life. Your own choices etc
Your wages equate to the same .
I wish everyone would realize that life is not about entitlement and what you can get out of it ,but an opportunity to contribute and be the best you can.
Perhaps we have all been living beyond our means for quite some time.
Start looking at what we have and appreciate that we live privileged lives .
Choose happiness over greed.
Happiness is free and we all have a choice
I choose happiness.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It makes me sad to think we are getting further and further away from a happy and balanced world.
Your job is a result of the work,study and effort put in during your life. Your own choices etc
I wish everyone would realize that life is not about entitlement and what you can get out of it ,but an opportunity to contribute and be the best you can.
I choose happiness.

We are still largely happy, I should think. There are problems elsewhere, so perhaps I misspoke. The world is not happy, but it has never been truly happy, either.

I'll suggest that if you are not happy, take steps to get happy. I always visit YouTube and look at the Cute Kittens videos. Can't be too sad when you look at kittens clapping, fat kittens dancing, kittens talking, and kittens in various and sundry containers doing all manner of kitteny things. Well, unless you are dead inside.

Go to Youtube and search this: The Florin Street Band. Look for their Christmas song, "My Favorite Time of Year."

This month on cable, you can find "The Man Who Saved Christmas." The story of A.C. Gilbert, inventor of The Erector Set, among other things. You will feel great because it shows one man can make a difference for the entire country. Gilbert put the spirit of a nation above cash and government contracts.

There will always be unhappy people. Some are unhappy because they want more and can only afford less and only if they can get credit which is in the dumpster. Others are unhappy because their Power Ball numbers did not come up. Others are unhappy because of current events and some are naturally unhappy regardless of what happens. They are like Marvin the depressed robot. Any hitchhikers fans?

Some are happy to such a degree that it makes me sick.

I recently saw a 'Save the Children' commercial. The foundation wants money to feed the starving. I switched to another channel and saw Punkin Chunkin. People spending thousands of dollars just to toss perfectly good food as far as possible. I felt more sadness for the losers of the distance toss than the kids. How sad am I? I recall the Katrina coverage on TV and between the coverage there were Pizza Hut and McDonald's commercials. Seems rather odd. We are a sad world but in this country, even the poor can get by. Many have cell phones and TVs and cars. Many hate the dems and many hate the other side and do not know why.

Others are upset because they cannot have it all and others had it all and are miffed because they are going to jail for not paying taxes.

I am happy because what I do have is paid for. I am happy I woke up this AM and I am happy my free battery for my phone arrived yesterday. It restored my faith in large corporations. I sold a book and I am happy that the first draft is almost done. I am happy because I am getting a new Banjo and I am happy because I am healthy. I am happy the cat is acting like a crazy cat and I found my keys so I can finally leave the house. I am happy I am not nagged to death by some woman telling me what's what and sad that there is no permanent woman in my life.

That last one is my fault. Perhaps I'll start a wife wanted thread in the IPF.

Not sure what people should do. Perhaps we are too invested in the media; the good and the bad and the ugly are a tad too pervasive and we are exposed to far too much coverage of current events. So we are sad, sad, sad.

I suggest cute kittens videos on YouTube to start. Remember, Santa will arrive soon, so there is that at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is getting deep. The philosophy aired strikes so many chords with us here at home.

My wife is of a different nationality to me. I have lived in various parts of the world. Between us, our experiences of different cultures have laid a great foundation to appreciate what different cultures and people have to offer.

We have both worked hard to get where we are, and are very happy. The troubles we see are disturbing. The extensive reporting of trouble is facilitated by the ease of communication, and human nature to indulge in "bad news". A positive approach to life, and a sense of humour, should go a long way to improving our lot.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
I choose happiness.

Really lovely post Julie, we really are so lucky!
I choose happiness too! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Wow, this thread is getting deep. The philosophy aired strikes so many chords with us here at home.

My wife is of a different nationality to me. I have lived in various parts of the world. Between us, our experiences of different cultures have laid a great foundation to appreciate what different cultures and people have to offer.

We have both worked hard to get where we are, and are very happy. The troubles we see are disturbing. The extensive reporting of trouble is facilitated by the ease of communication, and human nature to indulge in "bad news". A positive approach to life, and a sense of humour, should go a long way to improving our lot.

You both are very lucky to have each other. I love visiting different countries and experiencing different cultures. Yes, a positive approach to life is essential as this world we live in will never be perfect...

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts