What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 4.2 Update killed my iPAD - Need help

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this doesn't help anybody, but...

I am Ukrainian, not Irish, and I know by saying this, my next upgrade will be totally jinxed... but I am using Vista with the "real" version of iTunes 10.1 (as opposed to the beta) and the whole upgrade was flawless.

I also upgraded my wife's iPod Touch on her PC (also running Vista) and it was just as painless.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those that have used tiny umbrella, make sure it hasn't modified your HOSTS file. It will cause the update to fail.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will hold up for a lil b4 trying this update. Windows users seem to have issues. Plus is a jailbreak available already for this update? If not then ill definitely wait. I gotta have ifiles. ;-)

Oscar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Used windows 7 pro here. No issues however when I was going back throughout the IPad manual it looked up in and the IPad froze. Had to do the power home button thing to get it to unfreeze and reboot.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do we find that out please? ^^^^^

Open tiny umbrella and go to the Advanced tab. Uncheck the 'Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit' option. Click Apply Changes.

The Cydia server appears like it was/is down, causing the update to fail if you have that modified host record by tiny umbrella.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm good to go... required manually uninstalling itunes and (well deleting the cache from the hidden files) and then I was able to download and install the official 10.1... plugged in iPad and updated without a hitch. This was the first time it didn't work for me through all the betas and ipods I've ever used... Lucky I didn't panic an lost nothing (via tiny umbrella popping me out and the fact I had saved a backup folder to desktop incase I needed to restore anything...

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While in the process of preparing the update (After the backup done by the upgrade program) I suddenly notice that I have a picture of a USB connector with an Arrow pointing toword a circle designated as iTune. Can't get rid of it. Tried to reset the iPOD ( Long press on the power button) . Nothing.
By the way. I didn't have any jailbreak on it. No Cidia. Nothing. Just a new iPAD one month old with very few free programs, and some books.

Well it finally updated it self (V4.2.1) , after getting a little heart attack. My final conclusion at home was that I have some problem with the iTune. For some reason , suddenly iTune did not liked my iPAD . So in the morning I carried my iPAD to work , and connected to my XP LapTop.
Bingo. It immediately discovered that I have a problem and asked permission to restore. I granted permission for everything. Took an hour an a half to download the new version ( iTune decides for it self what version to download), and another half hour to recover, At the end I got my "Darling " back with Factory default. Didn't care much since it was a month old and had almost Zero Stuff on it.

Bottom line. Seems to be some kind of bug that is on PC with Windows 7 the upgrade crippled my iTune 10.1 .

rwsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer people about the problems I had with installing 4.2, I was using OSX, not Windows. So problems are not just limited to Windows users.

Things seems ok now except that my iPad Mail app now is stuck in one orientation. It won't rotate no matter how I turn the iPad. For everything else, the screen turns as usual. Anybody having this weird problem?

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows 7 and Vista here. Both machines, same result. 4.2 failed upgrade, ended up restoring, lost all of my apps, the backup was worthless, can't even see my apps in itunes on the pc anymore.

I wish there was some way to tell itunes to redownload EVERYTHING in purchase history again???! is there?

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasn't killed mine yet, but 12 1/2 hours latter and it's still in back up mode. Bar shows 7/8 done.

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After similar difficulties to most on this thread I managed to upgrade to 4.2.1, but lost everything I had. Then I tried to restore to factory settings and get back my stuff from the last backup. iTunes seemed to take ages to estimate the time to restore all the data, so I lost my patience and cancelled the process. I guess I will restore my iPad once again tonight and before sleeping I will ask itunes to restore my apps from my latest backup. Hopefully something will be done by the morning. Nothing else has worked for me in getting my old apps back on my iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows 7 and Vista here. Both machines, same result. 4.2 failed upgrade, ended up restoring, lost all of my apps, the backup was worthless, can't even see my apps in itunes on the pc anymore.

I wish there was some way to tell itunes to redownload EVERYTHING in purchase history again???! is there?

I have heard of people contacting apple and getting them to redownload all of their purchases actually.

Most reactions

Latest posts